Road Trip Stories

Peanut

Living It Up
404 said:
Yep, come across like one, but I guess that's better then being one like you are. :moon:

wow, I sit back and remember my days back in third grade sometimes too.

Makavide

Not too talkative
My worst car trip

I had gone home to Philidelphia on leave back in my single days and decided to borrow my dad's car and drive out to Atlantic City to test the action on the tables. It was a little before midnight and I figured it was time to take my winnings and head home (I was up about $1000 on the day).

Well, it had started to snow while I was there. So while on the Atlantic City expressway I hit a patch of ice and spun out, going off the side of the rode down the embankment. I finally got some one to stop and drive me up a ways to the toll booth, where I was able to get a tow truck to come out and pull me back on the road - fortunately while spinning around a few times the car had headed backwards down the embankment and was stopped by the trees, no major damage, just a dent in the trunk.

So I get back on the road, and an hour later, another patch of ice - spinning around some more and then over the curb onto an off ramp. Okay, the driver side back tire is off the rim, so I get the spare on and get to driving some more. Half hour later, someone is honking there horn, pointing out the front driver side, so I pull over and find out and you guess it, the tire it is flat. So I walk off to find a station, finding a good samaritan to take me to one. The tow truck heads off to get the car, and I get two new tires put on. I finally make it home after 9 hours (normally a 2.5 hour drive) and give my dad the remainder of my winnings to pay for the dent in the trunk.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bruzilla said:
She had owned the car for SIX YEARS and had never checked the oil!!!
Damn, that's excellent! The longest I ever made it before the engine blew is 2 years. :notworthy to your wife!

Hessian

Coolest toll...

I was starting the long Haul from Portland Maine back to Lusby and just about to hit one of the last toll booths in maine when a car buzzes past (I take little notice) but it nudges into the booth ahead of me. Ok.

Well, when I get up to pay the 1.50 toll the booth guy waves me through: The MARYLANDER ahead of me paid my toll. What a riot.
I didn't catch up to him...but that was a great way to start a 12 hour trip.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My trip driving across country when I moved here...

Left the Bay Area and before I hit Tahoe (only 4 hours from home) my neurotic cat peed in my lap. Then I came down with strep throat and saw the ER Dr. in Ogalalla, NB. Stopped at Ft. Laramie, WY where my Great Aunt was born in 1897 (she was the bestest!) and our hotel, which we found after dark, was next to a cow pasture and the AC was broken. Mom thought it would be a good idea to turn on the fan and spray perfume in it. :barf: :twitch:

Mom and I got into a huge fight somewhere in the midwest and I left her at a diner for about a 1/2 hour. I had her purse too, she was SOL without me. :lmao:

I think the rest of the trip was pretty uneventful.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Hessian said:
Well, when I get up to pay the 1.50 toll the booth guy waves me through: The MARYLANDER ahead of me paid my toll. What a riot.
I didn't catch up to him...but that was a great way to start a 12 hour trip.
:yay:

I've had that happen at the Bay Bridge a couple of times, usually around Christmas. The last time was only a couple of weeks ago though. A fellow convertible driver had gotten into the wrong lane. She and her partner pulled up beside me, asked to be let in, I said sure, and they paid my toll. :biggrin: