Rockfish

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I hope they start two weeks later, ( less roe carrying fish) and stop the charter fleet from 2 charters a day. I know the charter fleet would not like this as they are having a tough time as it is but we need to let the breeders keep doing their thing.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Bird Dog said:
I hope they start two weeks later, ( less roe carrying fish) and stop the charter fleet from 2 charters a day. I know the charter fleet would not like this as they are having a tough time as it is but we need to let the breeders keep doing their thing.
:yay: It sucks to have to restrict the season, but it would be even worse to have no season. Let's make sure there are good fish to catch, even if it is for a shorter time.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Bird Dog said:

hook and line take 350lbs per day per license.

oldman

Lobster Land
Dougstermd said:
hook and line take 350lbs per day per license.

Where the heck do you come with that figure? Join CCA and fight for your rights as recreational fishermen. CCA Maryland has done some wonderful stuff, especially here in SOMD, and will continue to do so in the future.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
oldman said:
Where the heck do you come with that figure? Join CCA and fight for your rights as recreational fishermen. CCA Maryland has done some wonderful stuff, especially here in SOMD, and will continue to do so in the future.

hook and line is a commercial license and I have seen what they do.
Go to the bay bridge in December the real bay bridge not the one in maryland and look at the miles and miles of gill nets being run just on the other side "the ocean" and tell me that recreational fishing is hurting the population. just take a look

oldman

Lobster Land
Dougstermd said:
hook and line is a commercial license and I have seen what they do.
Go to the bay bridge in December the real bay bridge not the one in maryland and look at the miles and miles of gill nets being run just on the other side "the ocean" and tell me that recreational fishing is hurting the population. just take a look

Sorry, I have just never heard hook and line being associated with commercial fishermen. As a member of CCA I basically understand that DNR is pro commercial despite the fact that us recreational people put in so much more money. I also know commercial people have a place in life, and I also know that SOME commercials find ways to get around any laws instituted for their own benefit. At times we just throw our arms up and ask what DNR is doing other than just keeping their jobs.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
oldman said:
Sorry, I have just never heard hook and line being associated with commercial fishermen. As a member of CCA I basically understand that DNR is pro commercial despite the fact that us recreational people put in so much more money. I also know commercial people have a place in life, and I also know that SOME commercials find ways to get around any laws instituted for their own benefit. At times we just throw our arms up and ask what DNR is doing other than just keeping their jobs.

Even the charters with two trips a day take very little and each one of those people taking fish are citizens also enjoying the sport of fishing just not by owning a boat.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Dougstermd said:
Even the charters with two trips a day take very little and each one of those people taking fish are citizens also enjoying the sport of fishing just not by owning a boat.

Exactly right. And I agree with you on the commercial fishing of Rock, but isn't the hook and line limit 200 lbs. a day? I know this is what it used to be maybe it changed.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Current commercial limts for rockfish using line and hook are
DNR said:
No more than 4 persons/boat, 2 crew/licensee. Check in 3 hours after trip or by 9:00 pm day of harvest OR by 9:00 am the following day. Permit and flag required-800 lbs/licensee/week.
Call 1-800-999-2800 for season updates.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Ken King said:
Current commercial limts for rockfish using line and hook are
Thanks for clearing that up

AK-74me said:
Exactly right. And I agree with you on the commercial fishing of Rock, but isn't the hook and line limit 200 lbs. a day? I know this is what it used to be maybe it changed.

I pulled 350# out of the air cause its been so long since I have dealt with it.

Still try to enter the ocean and there is a maze of gillnets stretched across the mouth of the bay. I don't think if the whole recreational fleet including charters fished all week twice a day they would even come close to the totals of the gill nets at the mouth of the bay.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Dougstermd said:
Thanks for clearing that up

I pulled 350# out of the air cause its been so long since I have dealt with it.

Still try to enter the ocean and there is a maze of gillnets stretched across the mouth of the bay. I don't think if the whole recreational fleet including charters fished all week twice a day they would even come close to the totals of the gill nets at the mouth of the bay.
Not to mention the regular fleets of boats working the Virginia waters using spotting aircraft to catch the Manhaden. You know they pull up other fish too. I agree it isn't the recreational fishers (even if on a commercial vessel) that is the problem.

D

dems4me

Anyone know when they start running up at Benedict?

Also, anyone know if crabs are still running? When in October does crabbing generally fall off?