Romney breaks ranks with GOP, will vote to convict Trump

Barabbas

For those keeping score...pin this thread so in 4 years when the Republican’s are chasing the next shiny object and talking about how awful Trump was...like they have awoken from some trance... remember that they do this EVERY SINGLE TIME!
Most of us hate the spending bills Trump has signed, and one thread on Trump's bump stock position went on for seemingly thousands of posts against Trump.

That's the main difference that I can see. The average Democrat/liberal/progressive cannot admit ONE fault of Obama. Everything he did was great. So, when you point out something NOT great, they go to great pains to avoid answering.

Republicans (I would add "conservatives", but the vast majority of Republicans are no longer very conservative) are happy to say, "yeah, our guy was mostly good but really screwed up this/that/the other thing."

Have you heard one Democrat decry Obama taking money from taxpayers to buy guns for Mexican drug lords and kill American border patrol agents? I've never heard one admit that Obama's administration did it, let alone decry how it was wrong. Democrats have literally said, "hell, for this economy i would give bill Clinton a blowjob, too!"

That level of avoidance of the faults of republican presidents just doesn't happen.

Was Trump guilty? Hell, I have no idea. What I do know for certain is that the Democrats (and Democrats alone) in the House who voted to impeach him could not prove he was guilty. The rest of it, whether it rose to the level of an impeachable offense, or whether the process was followed, or whether it rose to the level of being justifiable for removal, any of that is really less than secondary. The Democrats chose to ask the Senate to fire the president, and couldn't come close to proving their case. That's what I leave this situation understanding. The great majority of those in the Senate agreed.

Seems simple to me.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
(a) ....things have changed quite a bit since then.

(b) And speaking of losers, we still think highly of Kerry and Gore, they get lots of love.
(a) Every generation says this, but it's never true.

(b) Agreed. Hence, why I didn't mention them.

As for your overall assertion, I would caution against a small sample size; tends to present a misleading picture of how things work/are.

With all due respect.

--- End of line (MCP)

truby20

Fighting like a girl
(a) Every generation says this, but it's never true.

(b) Agreed. Hence, why I didn't mention them.

As for your overall assertion, I would caution against a small sample size; tends to present a misleading picture of how things work/are.

With all due respect.

--- End of line (MCP)

Ok, let’s touch base in 1000 years...we’ll have 250 or so presidents we can use as a large enough sample

Yooper

Ok, let’s touch base in 1000 years...we’ll have 250 or so presidents we can use as a large enough sample
If I missed your overall point or presented mine poorly, my apologies as neither was intentional.

--- End of line (MCP)

saddlemount

Mudslinger
Greetings:

The fickle bunch turned on McCain too as soon as “daddy” gave the word. You can see that on display in this thread.

Beyond pathetic.
"Daddy" huh snowflake? So tell us about the all the Democrats sitting their in their white outfits, watching "mommy" giving them hand signals.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Greetings:

The fickle bunch turned on McCain too as soon as “daddy” gave the word. You can see that on display in this thread.

Beyond pathetic.
McCain has been a closet Democrat since he gained office.

He turned numerous times siding with the anti-american democrat party...... long before Trump.

Yooper

I would applaud Romney IF I believed he was actually voting his conscience. But my sense is that he's just plain envious. Not mind-reading; simply connecting all the dots over the years about the guy.

Romney knows he's utterly irrelevant now and into the future so he's making his mark on the pages of history by going down as the lone Republican to vote against acquittal/for conviction.

For such a tall guy Romney's a remarkably small "man."
Byron York adds his take today:

The open:
For years, Mitt Romney had a reputation as a flip-flopper, an opportunist, a politician who would tailor his beliefs to fit whichever group he was trying to please.

Toward the end:
But Barbaro, who covered Romney's 2012 presidential run, wondered whether it might not be that simple, whether all might not be exactly as it seems, whether there might still be a bit of Old Romney at work. "But it's a moment where his vote to convict the president on one of two counts has no impact whatsoever on the process," Barbaro said. "Romney is the lone dissenting voice in a case that he can have no influence over."

York's closing paragraph:
It is often remarked that Trump, at 73 years of age, is not going to change. That certainly appears to be true. And what about the 72-year-old Mitt Romney? A career in politics led to his vote Wednesday. Although he is a man with some undeniably good qualities, those who have watched him over the years will wonder whether the vote was truly something new or the Romney they have known for a long time.

Yup, Romney the opportunist. A small man in just about every way.

--- End of line (MCP)