Ron Paul August 22, 2007

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
August 22, 2007

Not all the media are biased. A local newspaper in New Hampshire reported on an annual GOP bbq in the town of Hollis. It could be called "the Ron Paul show," they said, since the far bigger crowd that usual consisted mostly of our supporters. One volunteer even rented an airplane and flew a wonderful sign around the sky. What great, creative, self-starting people I'm meeting, at every stop, all of them united by a love of America and American freedom.

Politics is usually about division. But this campaign is just the opposite. Not only are our volunteers a bunch of happy warriors, but they also practice the virtues of tolerance and peace, just as they want the nation to do.

The other day, the state chairman of an opposing campaign (not in New Hampshire!), angrily tore a sign out of one of our supporter's hands and trashed it. Different people with different beliefs might have responded differently. But our people, though they'd been standing in the rain all day, applied the Golden Rule. It's because of quiet heroes that I know we can change this country.

A reporter in New Hampshire told me this story about Florida: she had seen the same three supporters working every day passing out our literature, and so decided to interview them. She was startled to discover that one was a Republican, one was a Democrat, and one was an Independent. But I wasn't.

Freedom brings us all together. We can all agree on leaving people alone to plan and live their own lives, rather than trying to force them to obey at the point of a gun, as runaway government does. Instead of clawing at each other via the warfare-welfare state, people under liberty can cooperate in a unity of diversity.

There is no need to use government to threaten others who have different standards, or to be threatened by them. Looking to our Founders, our traditions, and the Constitution, we can build, in peaceful cooperation, a free and prosperous society.

At a talk show in Nashua, New Hampshire, the host asked me about the fair tax. Well, I agree on getting rid of the IRS, I told her, but I want to replace it with nothing, not another tax. But let's not forget the inflation tax, I said.

This was something she had never considered, but after I talked about the depreciation of our dollar by the Federal Reserve, its creation of artificial booms and busts, and its bailouts of the big banks and Wall Street firms, to the detriment of the average person, she loved it. That is another tax, she agreed, a hidden and particularly vicious tax.

They try to tell us that the money issue is boring or irrelevant. In fact, it is the very pith of our social lives, and morally, Constitutionally, and economically, the central bank is a disaster. Thanks to the work of this movement, Americans are starting to understand what has been hidden from them for so long: that we have a right to sound and honest money, not to a dollar debauched for the special interests.

Unconstitutional government has created a war crisis, a financial crisis, a dollar crisis, and a freedom crisis. But we don't have to take it. We don't have to passively accept more dead soldiers, a lower standard of living, rising prices, a national ID, eavesdropping on our emails and phone calls, and all the rest.

We can return to first principles, and build the brightest, most brilliant future any people on earth has ever aspired to. ...

Sincerely,

Ron

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
nhboy said:
Does he have a chance to be nominated? And if nominated, will he win?
No, and no, because he's a kook.

Get rid of the IRS and replace it with nothing, eh? So no more interstate. No more Congressmen. No more President, for that matter. Or at least they won't be getting paid. No more military. No more public school system. Screw the national debt. Bye bye savings bonds.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Because if there is no IRS, I assume there will be no federal income tax either, right? Because who's going to collect and regulate it?

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
vraiblonde said:

Get rid of the IRS and replace it with nothing, eh? So no more interstate. No more Congressmen. No more President, for that matter. Or at least they won't be getting paid. No more military. No more public school system. Screw the national debt. Bye bye savings bonds.

Because if there is no IRS, I assume there will be no federal income tax either, right? Because who's going to collect and regulate it?

I may be wrong but doesn't Ron Paul want to replace the income tax with a flat sales tax?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:

The United States existed quite handily on duties and taxes on international and interstate commerce prior to 1913 when the Sixteenth Amendment was passed allowing the taxing of personal income. There were U.S. roads, military, Congressmen, the President, Judicial system and they all got paid.

Prior to the 16th there was no personal income tax. Just because you grew up with it does not mean it is right. The businesses, foreign and domestic, get the tax breaks and the citizens take it in the shorts. The tax burden would be put back where the founders thought it should be. Of course that would indirectly result in a consumption tax because the tax on business would be passed in the price of products, but all entities, personal and business would pay equally according to the amount of goods bought. Seems this is a flat consumption tax without the need to regulate individuals. It is far easier to monitor and regulate the businesses than individuals simply because there are far fewer businesses than people and there is less of an incentive to cheat.

The public school system was the purview of the states and still is. Federal money is used to coerce the states to comply with Federal "guide lines." The states can currently ignore all Federal regulation regarding public schools if they do not take federal money.

The national debt is a catch 22. The more money Washington has access to the more it spends. It is not their money; you seem to loose sight of that. Savings bonds are a debt instrument. Despite the interest rate, the money you put into savings bonds is worth less at maturity than the money initially invested when the rate of inflation is taken into account. The feds regulate the money supply to the benefit of government. If there is too much government debt, they can inflate their way out of real debt by making the amount of money owed worth less in real terms.

He is not a kook unless believing that the federal government should abide by the U.S. Constitution is being a kook. I personally think he is one of the few, maybe the only candidate, that exhibits personal integrity. He says what he means and means what he says.

I think the kooks are the people like Rudy, Hillery, McCain, Edwards and the rest that flip flop with every poll.

Pushrod

Patriot
Well said 2ndAmendment! As you mentioned, for more years than not we did not have a personal federal income tax, and when it was implemented, I think it was only promised to be temporary.
Also, correct me if I am wrong, wasn't the 16th ammendment never properly ratified by all the states?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
nhboy said:
I may be wrong but doesn't Ron Paul want to replace the income tax with a flat sales tax?
Not that I'm aware of. He says repeatedly that he wants to get rid of the IRS and replace it with nothing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Instead of impossible feats, like eliminating the IRS, Ron Paul should be talking about what he can realistically do as President. Because he's not going to be able to get rid of the IRS.

I think that's cute that he's become somewhat of a cult hero, but he's still a kook.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, this is right from 2A's post of Paul's newsletter:

At a talk show in Nashua, New Hampshire, the host asked me about the fair tax. Well, I agree on getting rid of the IRS, I told her, but I want to replace it with nothing, not another tax.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Pushrod said:
Well said 2ndAmendment! As you mentioned, for more years than not we did not have a personal federal income tax, and when it was implemented, I think it was only promised to be temporary.
Also, correct me if I am wrong, wasn't the 16th ammendment never properly ratified by all the states?
Right on both counts. The income tax was only supposed to last long enough to pay off the debt from WWI and the 16th was not properly ratified.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
ylexot said:
Strangely, his position wasn't on his web site :ohwell: But I did find this on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul
Ron on Taxes and debt: http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/debt-and-taxes/

On illegal immigrants and immigration: http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/border-security-and-immigration-reform/

On American Independence and Sovereignty: http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/american-independence-and-sovereignty/

Rest of main issues statements: http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
ylexot said:
Do you need the IRS if you are doing a sales tax? I don't think you do.
Exactly, nor do you need the IRS if the tax is in the form of duties on intrastate and international commerce. Interstate duties are collected by Customs and intrastate commerce is handled by the ICC.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Instead of impossible feats, like eliminating the IRS, Ron Paul should be talking about what he can realistically do as President. Because he's not going to be able to get rid of the IRS.

I think that's cute that he's become somewhat of a cult hero, but he's still a kook.
I think it is cute that you claim to be conservative but are so liberal. Are you a kook? :huggy: