Ruger to buy Marlin from Remington Outdoor

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
SOUTHPORT, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that its offer to purchase substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets was accepted by Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. and approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama. The Company will pay the $30 million purchase price from cash on hand at the time of closing, which is expected to occur in October.

“The value of Marlin and its 150-year legacy was too great of an opportunity for us to pass up,” said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. “The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings.”

The transaction is exclusively for the Marlin Firearms assets. Remington firearms, ammunition, other Remington Outdoor brands, and all facilities and real estate are excluded from the Ruger purchase. Once the purchase is completed, the Company will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities.

limblips

PREMO Member
Great news. A lot of people got their start with Marlin firearms. They are decent quality, low priced guns. I have killed a pile of deer, doves, rabbits, pheasants, turkeys, and pests with a Marlin 500A with a slug barrel and a shot barrel. I have also built a huge pile of rimfire brass plinking away at cans. I now can afford higher quality guns but the Marlins are still in the man cave.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
how does a gun manufacture go broke in this climate ..... you cannot keep guns and ammo on the shelves

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
how does a gun manufacture go broke in this climate ..... you cannot keep guns and ammo on the shelves
Marlins quality went down when they were bought in 2007 by Remington.

They did away with Marlins barrel manufacturing in favor of Remingtons existing facilities.

Thats one of the reason theres such a premium on a JM marked Marlin these days. The new ones, with issues, have been referred to as Remlins.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
so the Authoritarians have been successful in bankrupting one manufacturer ?
So far.

But in all fairness, Remingtons declining quality, the Model 700 Trigger issues, helped do that as well.

I really wanted a M700 BDL or CDL too.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So far.

But in all fairness, Remingtons declining quality, the Model 700 Trigger issues, helped do that as well.

:yay:

I have not acquire a firearm in over 20 yrs [ and then I was buying M39's and Type 53 Carbines]

.... I'm a bit out of the loop

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I've picked up a wide assortment over the years, but the only bolt action I have that is not mil surplus is a Ruger American. Still want a 700 with a Laminated stock in 30:06.

And I'm still lacking a 1903. Any that gauged out nice were always well over 1k.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I missed out on buying surplus M1 Carbines at Roses for $249 back in the late 80s/early 90s.

UglyBear

GURPS and Kyle, I hate you guys. You really hit the "Golden Age of MilSurp" . Now a nice Yugo SKS on gunBroker is at least $500, if one can find one. I was reading forums from early 2000's about unissued CZ-82s going for $150 -- dang!

I guess I just have to wait for y'all to kick the bucket, and your widow to sell off your collection at the value you told her it was worth ;)

stgislander

PREMO Member
I missed out on buying surplus M1 Carbines at Roses for $249 back in the late 80s/early 90s.
Damn. I remember Roses selling AK's and SKS's. (Gilligan and I helped ourselves of a few.) I don't remember them having M1's though.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I won't have a widow and they're being buried with me for an archeological dig by Professors Zager and Evans in the year 2525. :biggrin:

UglyBear

Damn. I remember Roses selling AK's and SKS's. (Gilligan and I helped ourselves of a few.) I don't remember them having M1's though.
Wait, so Rose's was both a gun store AND a strip club with hefty ladies? Dayung! I really missed out :(

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
GURPS and Kyle, I hate you guys.

Norinco - SKS - D Model that takes AK Mags was really nice at about a buck fifty

Mosin Nagants were about 80 bucks .. my Finish M-39 new arsenal refurb with a Saco BBL was $ 89 Dollars

same deal 7.62 R was about $ 99 bucks for a pair of Spam Cans

Praise be to God for the Collapse of Communism :elaine: