Rules and Traditions for First Families

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I thought this was interesting:

In 1996, first lady Hillary Clinton started a new White House tradition, hosting a dinner to mark the end of Ramadan, the holy month of fasting and prayer for Muslims. The dinner continued through the rest of the Clinton administration, and into the George W. Bush and Barack Obama presidencies. In 2017, Donald Trump decided to put an end to the tradition.

He replaced the dinner with the release of a short statement acknowledging the holiday.

Why would the White House hold a Ramadan dinner? Hanukkah gets a "celebration", but Ramadan gets a formal dinner. Why are they special?

limblips

PREMO Member
I read it but couldn't find the part where the departing first family was allowed or required to take $48K in furnishings and artwork and purchase $84K in items they thought belonged to them.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I'll buy the "these are traditions" part to some degree, but don't buy the "rules" idea at all. The article was presented as a cute story to inform the reader of "things White House," but what it really wants to inform the reader of is something quite political.

--- End of line (MCP)

Hijinx

Some traditions suck and others don't.

Obama started the tradition of taking himself and about a hundred Secret Service Agents away from their families and heading to Hawaii.

At our expense of course. he hasn't gone since.