Runaway Horse and Buggy Struck in Mechanicsville

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
UPDATE: It was determined that that a runaway horse and buggy was unoccupied by a person when it entered the roadway and was struck by a van after entering the lane the van was traveling in. The horse was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office is handling the accident.

Updates will be provided as they become available.

1/9/2020: On Thursday, January 9, 2020, at approximately 6:30 p.m., police fire, and rescue personnel responded to the area of Mechanicsville Road and Cox Drive in Mechanicsville, for the reported motor vehicle accident involving a horse and buggy.

Crews arrived on the scene to find a van, and an unoccupied buggy in the roadway.

Firefighters were told it was unknown if the buggy was occupied at the time of the crash, and after searching the area for approximately 10 minutes, units reported the horse and buggy was unoccupied at the time of the crash.

All occupants of the van were uninjured and refused care on the scene. It is unknown if the horse was injured.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/4681...truck-in-mechanicsville-no-injuries-reported/

Poor horse. :bawl:

luvmygdaughters

I travel Rt. 6 and Rt. 5 to and from work in La Plata, Monday thru Friday. I have seen some of the Amish women trying to control a hard headed horse! Thank goodness, no humans were hurt, but, I have to ask, why wasn't the horse tied in a secured manner? The Amish family should be charged with the accident. Same as if someones cows got loose and created an accident.

officeguy

I know I joked about it, but a few years ago one of those buggies took out an incoming motorcycle. Some of the operators seem to put a lot of faith in god and the brakes of oncoming vehicles when it comes to making a decision about when to turn left from the right shoulder. I kind of understand it as a horse works best when it continues to move rather than stopping on the right shoulder to wait for a large enough hole in traffic. But I have been suprised a few times on Rt6 when you suddenly look at the broad side of a horse .

Freefaller

I travel Rt. 6 and Rt. 5 to and from work in La Plata, Monday thru Friday. I have seen some of the Amish women trying to control a hard headed horse! Thank goodness, no humans were hurt, but, I have to ask, why wasn't the horse tied in a secured manner? The Amish family should be charged with the accident. Same as if someones cows got loose and created an accident.

This happened to my sister several years ago. A run away horse and buggy ran into her car in her driveway. As I recall, the Amish self insure within their community and took care of the damage that was caused very quickly.

BernieP

Resident PIA
ISome of the operators seem to put a lot of faith in god and the brakes of oncoming vehicles when it comes to making a decision about when to turn left from the right shoulder.
are you about motorized vehicles or the Amish? That description could fit both.

officeguy

are you about motorized vehicles or the Amish? That description could fit both.

The amish. Turning from the right shoulder across oncoming traffic into a driveway is an amish thing.

But then, you don't hear about them being involved in fatal accidents much. At least not compared to your average young folks around here who seem to wrap themselves around trees with alarming regularity. No smartphones.

Last edited:

Clem72

But then, you don't hear about them being involved in fatal accidents much. At least not compared to your average young folks around here who seem to wrap themselves around trees with alarming regularity. No smartphones.

You sure about that? I saw an older Amish looking lady (though it could have been Mennonite, I can't tell from looking) at a stop light in Mechanicsville driving a jeep wrangler with a smart phone on the dash showing a map.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You sure about that? I saw an older Amish looking lady (though it could have been Mennonite, I can't tell from looking) at a stop light in Mechanicsville driving a jeep wrangler with a smart phone on the dash showing a map.
:whoosh:

I was making a snarky observation that it isn't just Amish buggies that do stupid crap and assume other people will stop in time.

officeguy

Probably Mennonite. That's 'anabaptists with pickup trucks'. They drive and use tools, but only for work and not pleasure. So they may buy an F350, but in 'tradesman' trim with black plastic panels and no radio.

mitzi

Had to be Mennonite.