Running GREEN in Southern Maryland

warner2006

Warner 2006
I have been disturbed with the division within our political system and the fact that the divide seems to be growing deeper, for several years. After having many debates, discussions and exchanging ideas with several friends and relatives, I have come to the realization that I don't want to wait for someone else to change system. If I want to institute change, I need to be instrumental in directing the changes.

Therefore ---- I have decided to run for the 5th District Congressional seat against incumbent Steny Hoyer under the flag of the Green Party.

My Platform includes:
• Putting responsibility, accountability and integrity back into politics
• Campaign Finance Reform – no PAC’s
• Fair housing costs for the middle and lower classes, mandates on the production of lower and middle class housing for all developments.
• National Health Care – will save the average family $4,000 to $6,000 per year
• Reformat Social Security for stability. Not personal accounts.
• Reformat our Immigration policies to supplement the work force as needed but establish fines for hiring illegals, and current illegals go to the end of the line.
• Strict oil conservation laws to include
o Fuel economy mandates
o Bio-diesel usage
o Stop the tax on ethanol imports (we don’t tax the oil, why the ethanol)
o Have mandatory Hybrid manufacturing quotas
• Properly fund the No Child Left Behind Act and change:
o Change it to discourage drop outs
o If schools are failing it does not make sense to take their funding away
o Include full time Pre K
o Fund after school programs
o Provide funding for teaching the arts and other creative activities.
• War in Iraq
o Our troops need more then the 2.7% pay raise presently proposed
o We do not need 14 new military bases in Iraq or a 88 acre Embassy
o To be able to withdraw our troops we need to enlist the peace keeping forces of the UN
o Develop a withdrawal plan.
o Spend our reconstruction money on the infrastructure, not military bases
o Properly fund the VA – Currently there are homeless Iraq Vets, and Health care wait times are extraordinarily long
o Vets should receive free care at every facility in the US (so should every other American.
• Environmental
o I support preserving the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries.
o Re-fund the super fund - this fund has not been funded in years
o Management of our natural resources belong in the hands the government not corporations.
o Development must include re-forestation
o I support a national recycling program.
o I support more stringent national emission standards.
o I support the development of wind generation and solar power.
o Environmental impacts must be assessed prior to the approval of all development projects.
o Drilling in Alaska and off our coast will not bring our fuel costs down and will only contribute to the continued under funding of alternative energy sources.

There are many other issues that I will address on my web site but this should give you all something to chew on.

The purpose of this email is to get your response.

SO LET IT FLOW !!!

Toxick

Splat
warner2006 said:
Therefore ---- I have decided to run for the 5th District Congressional seat against incumbent Steny Hoyer under the flag of the Green Party.

Welcome. I hope you're not expecting to find many Green supporters in here, myself included.

warner2006 said:
• Putting responsibility, accountability and integrity back into politics
• Campaign Finance Reform – no PAC’s

Cool.

warner2006 said:
• Fair housing costs for the middle and lower classes, mandates on the production of lower and middle class housing for all developments.
• National Health Care – will save the average family $4,000 to $6,000 per year

I don't see how in the world that will save anybody any money.

I DO, however, see hospitals becoming exactly like the DMV. This prospect makes my left eyelid twitch a little.

warner2006 said:
• Reformat Social Security for stability. Not personal accounts.

I am on the Privitize SS bandwagon.

Personally, I'd like to see them do away with ALL programs and/or mandates about retirement altogether, and I'll handle my retirement myself. If someone wants to opt-in, let them. I'd rather keep the money I earn and use it as I see fit NOW.

warner2006 said:
• Reformat our Immigration policies to supplement the work force as needed but establish fines for hiring illegals, and current illegals go to the end of the line.

What line? Why don't they go back to their home country instead of the end of some line? I think we should reformat our Immigration policies to...

No we shouldn't reformat our immigration policies - we should ENFORCE the immigration policies that we have in place, rather than letting congress and the president wipe their asses with the lawbooks, when its convenient for them to do so.

warner2006 said:
• Properly fund the No Child Left Behind Act and change:
o Change it to discourage drop outs
o If schools are failing it does not make sense to take their funding away
o Include full time Pre K
o Fund after school programs
o Provide funding for teaching the arts and other creative activities.

I'll go for all that... except for the art bit. Why should art get more than math and science? Art is pretty and all, and it's fun to watch plays - but realistically math and science are way more important.

warner2006 said:
• War in Iraq
o Our troops need more then the 2.7% pay raise presently proposed
o We do not need 14 new military bases in Iraq or a 88 acre Embassy
o To be able to withdraw our troops we need to enlist the peace keeping forces of the UN
o Develop a withdrawal plan.
o Spend our reconstruction money on the infrastructure, not military bases
o Properly fund the VA – Currently there are homeless Iraq Vets, and Health care wait times are extraordinarily long
o Vets should receive free care at every facility in the US (so should every other American.

I agree with nothing you said in this section.

warner2006 said:
• Environmental
o Re-fund the super fund - this fund has not been funded in years
o Management of our natural resources belong in the hands the government not corporations.
o Development must include re-forestation
o I support a national recycling program.
o I support more stringent national emission standards.
o I support the development of wind generation and solar power.
o Environmental impacts must be assessed prior to the approval of all development projects.
o Drilling in Alaska and off our coast will not bring our fuel costs down and will only contribute to the continued under funding of alternative energy sources.

I vehemently disagree with everything you said in this section.

warner2006 said:

I hope I've been helpful.

dck4shrt

Originally Posted by warner2006
• Environmental

I vehemently disagree with everything you said in this section.

So do you support dumping as much toxic waste and fertilizer as possible into the Bay and its tributaries? And do you think that corporations should be allowed to pillage our national parks for whatever they need?

warner2006

Warner 2006
dck4shrt said:
So do you support dumping as much toxic waste and fertilizer as possible into the Bay and its tributaries? And do you think that corporations should be allowed to pillage our national parks for whatever they need?

This is on of our largest environmental problems. Our current standards allow for corporations to utilize and profit from the nations resources without cleaning up the messes they leave behind, without replenishment and without moderation. Corporations are suppose to serve to the benefit of our nation and its citizens.

dck4shrt

warner2006 said:
This is on of our largest environmental problems. Our current standards allow for corporations to utilize and profit from the nations resources without cleaning up the messes they leave behind, without replenishment and without moderation. Corporations are suppose to serve to the benefit of our nation and its citizens.

I was replying to Toxick's comments, but I'll entertain you. I fully understand the environmental issues that we face locally, and across the country. But, corporations are NOT supposed to serve the benefit of our nation and our citizens. They are supposed to serve the benefit of their shareholders. Their only goal is to legally maximize their profits. Some smarter corporations will try to do this in a sustainable fashion, because they see the benefit for their own preservation, not for our resources preservation.

B

Bruzilla

I think whatever leftover campain materials you can hold onto will make interesting souvenirs for your kids and grandkids.

Last edited by a moderator:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bruzilla said:
I think whatever leftover campain materials you can hold onto will make interesting souvenirs for your kids and grandkids.
THAT is the best idea I've heard so far! :yay:

Now I want to run for office! "See here, little Ermentrude? This is when Dodie ran for the Senate!"

:cartwheel

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
vraiblonde said:

Now I want to run for office! "See here, little Ermentrude? This is when Dodie ran for the Senate!"

And when they butcher your name you can be doodie.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
FromTexas said:
And when they butcher your name you can be doodie.
Actually, you just gave me a brilliant idea!

I can file to run for President, then print up a bunch of campaign materials (making sure I spell my name correctly) and put them all over in my neighborhood, get Somd.com to do a story on me :whistle:, then forget the whole thing.

I'll have souvenirs for my grandbabies with very little money spent and no stress of actually running for office. "Look, little Hortense! This is from when Dodie ran for President! I carried my whole neighborhood!"

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
vraiblonde said:
Actually, you just gave me a brilliant idea!

I can file to run for President, then print up a bunch of campaign materials (making sure I spell my name correctly) and put them all over in my neighborhood, get Somd.com to do a story on me :whistle:, then forget the whole thing.

I'll have souvenirs for my grandbabies with very little money spent and no stress of actually running for office. "Look, little Hortense! This is from when Dodie ran for President! I carried my whole neighborhood!"

And you can get written up in the Washington Post and get some advertising for SOMD.com :yay:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
vraiblonde said:
See? NOW you're thinking!

Tell them you are a Republican who dislikes Bush and served on the National Security Council during the Clinton years... you could be on page one as a hero.

Toxick

Splat
dck4shrt said:

Yes. Yes, I do.

Don't be an ass. Too literal. I meant that I'm generally against the spirit of environmentalism - the Green mindset. Particularly when it inhibits progress and development, or infringes on personal freedoms.

B

Bruzilla

vraiblonde said:

That's what Arianna Huffington did. She made a very public run for governor and when it was apparent she couldn't win she bailed out on the eve of the election. Is she stays in and loses, she's the woman who lost the election. If she runs and quits she's "former California governor candidate..." You can run for senate and then make a public pullout, condeming global warming, arabs, aliens, VRWCs, whatever as the reason you're nobly pulling out. Better yet... say "my opponents are using attack ads and I would rather give up my lifelong pursuit of public service than to lower myself to their level", and voila! You're now "former Maryland Senate candidate Vrai."

Last edited by a moderator:
R

residentofcre

Ok... What's your opinion on the LNG expension in Calvert County?

What would you do to turn the tide and stop the expansion before it destroys the land that is supposed to be protected.

What's your plan on telecommunications to alleviate the traffic situations in Southern Maryland?

Would you offer incentives for companies who adopt telecommunications as a viable option?

Would you seek out and support opening the cable industry to encourage some real competition and lowering the cost of quality telecommunications infrastructure?

When would you support the idea of public funds for private infrustructure? Lets say a community has a small boat launch on the Bay that is in close proximity to a major shipping area, as well as a mall private airport already utilized by first responders in the event of an emergency. Let's say that private boatlaunch has been damaged and needs repair. Would that be a good reason to use public funds for private infrastructure?

Just a couple of questions I have been working on in my campaign.

Oh and on a personal note.... what's your view on the ban on partial birth abortion?

J

JPC, Sr.

Faith Without Works is Dead.

warner2006 said:
... ... ---- I have decided to run for the 5th District Congressional seat against incumbent Steny Hoyer under the flag of the Green Party.

... ... ...

There are many other issues that I will address on my web site but this should give you all something to chew on.

SO LET IT FLOW !!!
:larry: So are you saying that you are going to make a campaign website? or do you already have one? and if so then this is an Internet Forum and everybody here is sufficiently Internet savvy so like where is the link to the campaign website? or at least to the Green Party site?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
JPC said:
So are you saying that you are going to make a campaign website? or do you already have one? and if so then this is an Internet Forum and everybody here is sufficiently Internet savvy so like where is the link to the campaign website? or at least to the Green Party site?
That's it, JPC - show 'em how it's done! :yay:

:larry:

Last edited:

ylexot

Super Genius
warner2006 said:
Corporations are suppose to serve to the benefit of our nation and its citizens.
No they aren't. Corporations are supposed to serve to benefit their profits. Sometimes benefitting the nation and citizens can also benefit profits (that's called PR).

Sorry, but I'd rather have Steny.