Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...l-americans-would-be-serfs-column/3770424002/

California has already passed NPV, along with 13 other states plus Washington, D.C. Nevada, with six electoral votes, could be next. NPV only takes effect if it is joined by enough states that they control 270 electoral votes, which would then control the outcome of all future presidential elections. If that happens (NPV needs 81 more electoral votes), and if the courts do not strike it down, big cities will gain more political power at the expense of everyone else.

The idea that every vote should count equally is attractive. But a quote often attributed to Benjamin Franklin famously reminds us that democracy can be “two wolves and a lamb voting on what’s for lunch.” (City dwellers who think that meat comes from the grocery store might not understand why this is such a big problem for the lamb.) And when you think about it, every check on government power, from the Electoral College to the Bill of Rights, is a restraint on the majority.

The Electoral College makes it even harder to win the presidency. It requires geographic balance and helps protect Americans who might otherwise have their voices ignored. All Americans should value constitutional protections, like the Electoral College, that remind us that the real purpose of government is to protect our individual rights.

I am sure the Coastal Elites are OK with this supposition.

BOP

I am sure the Coastal Elites are OK with this supposition.

Oh, they're more than okay with it; they're practically salivating. Then they'll teach the unwashed rabble a lesson in minding their betters.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Remember, middle America, you're nothing but a basket of deplorables. Democrats have not backed off that statement and never will.

In fact they have ramped it up and are now trying to steal our voice in government.

I always scoffed at the idea of a true civil war in this country, but with this little stunt and states banning abortion, it's looking more and more possible.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
why does this make 'Civil War' more likely ? do you think the left is going to take to the ramparts musket in hand and rise up ?
No. They'll take to the streets again, smashing, burning, looting, attacking only it won't subside.

That's when it'll have to be put down.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
It requires geographic balance and helps protect Americans who might otherwise have their voices ignored. All Americans should value constitutional protections, like the Electoral College, that remind us that the real purpose of government is to protect our individual rights.
Two comments.

1. Wow, USAToday. That's more than a bit surprising considering its usual editorial slant these days.

2. Absolutely. The Electoral College is a fundamental and essential part of the foundation that makes this Republic work.

Good find. Thanks!

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
With a supply of brass, lead and copper one can get all the plastic they would need.
I was thinking polymer bullets (bringing The Graduate up to date!).

In all seriousness, if we get to the point where the Electoral College is put at risk historians may very well look back and say that was the moment where the tipping point was reached.

--- End of line (MCP)

Grumpy

In all seriousness, if we get to the point where the Electoral College is put at risk historians may very well look back and say that was the moment where the tipping point was reached.
Agreed. To me, this is scary, I had 2 conversations over the past week with libs that don't talk politics much. Both of them agree that Trump is President and agree that he has done things that have helped America, but both are all in on changing the electoral college. I asked both how they thought middle America would feel about that and one said, 'They're farmers, they'll be fine' and the other said something about cattle ranchers. So many don't understand why the electoral college is what it is...very bothersome

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Agreed. To me, this is scary, I had 2 conversations over the past week with libs that don't talk politics much. Both of them agree that Trump is President and agree that he has done things that have helped America, but both are all in on changing the electoral college. I asked both how they thought middle America would feel about that and one said, 'They're farmers, they'll be fine' and the other said something about cattle ranchers. So many don't understand why the electoral college is what it is...very bothersome

They also don't appear to understand what people actually do for a living in middle America. They're not all farmer's and cattle ranchers. :lol:

Agree, the ignorance is bothersome (good word). It's also bothersome that so many don't understand the difference between Senators and Representatives and why some states have more Reps than others.