Rush may face fed money laundering charges

To correct your post, Rush is not the one being investigated for money laundering, it is his bank. His banker apparently asked Rush and a bunch of other clients to make their withdrawls in amounts less than 10K so that he did not have to do so much paperwork. So that is what they did. When he would make the withdrawls, the bank would have a bonded courier deliver the money to him when he could not go to the bank in person. This is standard operating procedure when you are banking at the level that Rush is. When the Govt. started the investigation, they went to a number of the clients (Rush amongst them) and told them that the bank was breaking the law, so the clients all increased their withdrawls to over 10K. My understanding is that the clients are NOT the ones in trouble. Besides, you don't launder cash to BUY drugs, you launder it when you SELL drugs!

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
The title of the article is:

Source: Limbaugh investigated for money laundering

Buried deep in the article it says:

It can be a federal crime to structure financial transactions below the $10,000 limit to avoid the reporting requirement.

Sounds like he is also under investigation as an accessory.

I watched Miami Vice and saw Scarface. I know about the reporting requirement. If they were following the advice of their banker on withdrawls, they are not liable I don't think. If anything, the govt. wants him as a witness.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He better cut his crap...

...out right now.

"I was not laundering money. I was withdrawing money for crying out loud,"

Yeah, innocently withdrawing money...in a manner to get around the law to use the money to BREAK the law.

This crap dissapoints me so much because Limbaugh has so often been a 'truth dectector' pointing out hogwash and other BS.

Let's make this easy: What would Limbaugh be saying if this was Ted Kennedy saying the things Limbaugh is saying now?

Hmm?

His credibility with me is on the line.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How can it be considered money-laundering when you're withdrawing your own money? :confused: Whenever I make a withdrawal, it's always less than $10,000 - should I worry about this?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I never could listen to Limbaugh, not because of his political opinions, but because he comes across as angry and strident. I feel that way about a lot of pundits, both liberal and conservative. I tried listening to Amy Goodman on WPFW and it was like having an ice pick shoved into my ear.

Originally posted by vraiblonde
How can it be considered money-laundering when you're withdrawing your own money? :confused: Whenever I make a withdrawal, it's always less than $10,000 - should I worry about this?
Thank you!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, Larry just explained it to me and I think I understand.

I always took Rush with a grain of salt anyway so I'm not as disappointed by him. He is what he claimed to be - a conservative talk-show host whose mission is to create dittoheads. His bombastic style is what appeals to people, not his fair and accurate reporting. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by huntr1
Thank you!
Huntr, apparently the law was designed to catch drug dealers and others who deal with illegal cash transactions. If you're withdrawing a couple hundred bucks at a time, no biggie. But when they see several $9000 withdrawals in a short time period, it doesn't take a genius to figure out someone's trying to get past the system.

Rush broke the law, he got caught, too bad for him.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
His bombastic style is what appeals to people, not his fair and accurate reporting. :shrug:

I can understand that. That style may not be as grating to me if it wasn't coupled with anger. Elliott on DC/101 is bombastic, but his attitude is that of a big, jolly kid who likes gross stuff. Compare that to the Sports Junkies, whose show has much more aggression. Maybe that's because there are four of them and they're all fighting to get a word in. Still, when I listen I sometimes expect a fight to break out between them.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I love Rush...

...he has done more to make people stop and think about our civic life than any one individual in the last 30 years.

I just hold him to the higher standard he set.

You never hear people say what Bill Bennett is wrong about in terms of virtue, only that he is a hypocrite and, BTW, gambling MILLIONS is absurd.

You never hear people refute Limbaughs take on the NAALCP or the NOW babes. Now, he'll just be a hypocrite, a junkie trying to justify HIS problem.

Unless he stands up and takes responsibility.

Clinton could say "most ethical administration in history" and people just laugh because he's always full of it.

It's not fair if we start comparing Rush to Clinton or Teddy or whomever but that is the price of success.