Russia put bounty on American soldiers

Crabcatcher79

Shameful. Trump either doesn’t listen to his press briefings or doesn’t care Putin is trying to kill american soldiers

A Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered cash to Taliban-linked militants for successful attacks on coalition forces in the fall of 2019, as the US and Taliban engaged in talks to end a decades-long war, according to widely reported US intelligence assessments.
While Trump and aides cast doubt on those assessments, further reporting published on Sunday by the Times revealed that US intelligence agencies were tipped off to the Russian program by the discovery by US special forces of a large amount of American cash at a Taliban outpost.
Warnings about the suspected Russian plot were sent up the intelligence chain in January, the Times reported.
Twenty Americans were killed in combat in Afghanistan in 2019.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So which reputable newspaper was the one to break this story? Wonder if Russia is paying bounties for Iranian Generals.. that would be a bonus.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Trump says intel doesn’t back up report on Russian bounties against US troops

President Trump late Sunday said U.S. intelligence could not confirm an explosive story that Russian military officials offered bounties to militants linked to the Taliban to kill U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

The New York Times, citing unnamed officials, reported Friday that it is believed that some “Islamist militants” or “criminal elements” collected payouts. The report pointed out that 20 Americans were killed there in 2019. It was not clear if any of those deaths were the result of a bounty.

TASS, the state news agency, reported that the Russian Foreign Ministry called the reports “information fakes.” A Taliban spokesman also denied any truth to the report.

Crabcatcher79

Trump doesn’t care how many Americans die form Covid and he doesn’t care how many military members are killed by Putin.

It’s clear Putin has dirt on Trump and Trump doesn’t care about Americans anymore.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Trump doesn’t care how many Americans die form Covid and he doesn’t care how many military members are killed by Putin.

It’s clear Putin has dirt on Trump and Trump doesn’t care about Americans anymore.

WTF is wrong with you? That fake news story was debunked yesterday.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
NYT: Russians Paid Militants To Attack Americans And Trump Knew About It; Biden: ‘Betrayal’; Trump: ‘I Was Never Briefed’

“I never heard this,” tweeted former Acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell in response to a question about the report from Democrat Rep. Ted Lieu (CA) on Saturday. “And it’s disgusting how you continue to politicize intelligence. You clearly don’t understand how raw intel gets verified. Leaks of partial information to reporters from anonymous sources is dangerous because people like you manipulate it for political gain.”

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany also addressed the report. “This does not speak to the merit of the alleged intelligence but to the inaccuracy of the New York Times story erroneously suggesting that President Trump was briefed on this matter,” she said in a statement Saturday.

Trump responded early Sunday. “Nobody briefed or told me, [Vice President Mike Pence], or Chief of Staff [Mark Meadows] about the so-called attacks on our troops in Afghanistan by Russians, as reported through an ‘anonymous source’ by the Fake News [New York Times],” Trump tweeted. “Everybody is denying it [and] there have not been many attacks on us. Nobody’s been tougher on Russia than the Trump Administration. With Corrupt Joe Biden & Obama, Russia had a field day, taking over important parts of Ukraine — Where’s Hunter? Probably just another phony Times hit job, just like their failed Russia Hoax. Who is their ‘source’?”

In a follow-up post Sunday, Trump said that intelligence officials just informed him that they did not report the information to him because they did not find it credible. “Intel just reported to me that they did not find this info credible, and therefore did not report it to me or [Vice President Pence]. Possibly another fabricated Russia Hoax, maybe by the Fake News [NYT], wanting to make Republicans look bad!!!” Trump wrote.

Since publishing its report Friday, the Times has updated it with more details but has not retracted the claim that Trump was briefed. On Monday, the Associated Press published a new report citing intelligence sources speaking on condition of anonymity claiming “that Trump was briefed on the bounty matter earlier this year.”

Rommey

Shameful. Trump either doesn’t listen to his press briefings or doesn’t care Putin is trying to kill american soldiers

A Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered cash to Taliban-linked militants for successful attacks on coalition forces in the fall of 2019, as the US and Taliban engaged in talks to end a decades-long war, according to widely reported US intelligence assessments.
While Trump and aides cast doubt on those assessments, further reporting published on Sunday by the Times revealed that US intelligence agencies were tipped off to the Russian program by the discovery by US special forces of a large amount of American cash at a Taliban outpost.
Warnings about the suspected Russian plot were sent up the intelligence chain in January, the Times reported.
Twenty Americans were killed in combat in Afghanistan in 2019.

OK, let's just take this at face value for a second. The story states the alleged bounty started in the fall of 2019, then gives the number killed for the entire year, (even though they have an incorrect number; 22 were killed in 2019). So if we believe this story as occurring in the fall of 2019, then we should look at the number of deaths in the fall of 2019; which were 5 (September-December) and only 9 so far in 2020. So if there were a bounty as the story says, wouldn't you expect more than 5 in the fall of 2019? Just for reference in the fall of 2019, there were 13,000 troops in Afghanistan (now down to about 8,600).

SamSpade

I'm trying to remember how this was described. The Russians were paying the Taliban - whom they hate - with money - they don't have - to kill American soldiers - which they already do for free - all in the name of driving Americans out of Afghanistan - where we are leaving.

It's kind of ridiculous on its face. It SOUNDS made up. Expecting the President or anyone higher up to have been briefed on this is about as likely as expecting reports on the zombie apocalypse or alien invasion. You know that law enforcement and the FBI get "tips" all the time they don't act on, because most of them are BS. Why does THIS story gain any traction?

SamSpade

Trump doesn't care

See, I saw Schumer get all up in Trump's ass saying that he loses either way - if he didn't know about it, he's incompetent because he SHOULD have, and if he DID know about it and (obviously) did nothing, he's heartless. Which actually says more about Chuck inasmuch as it's pointless to mention ANY subject, because he was somehow going to promote a ludicrous argument to upbraid you ANY WAY it falls.

And anyone on the ball about this can see, it's a BS story. One that the left, the White House press corps and Democrat leaders spend way too much time on. As I said before, can you see Schumer and the left gasping over his failure to react to an alien invasion? So why this stupid ass story?

Did we really need Senate time wasted on this?

BTW - leaks in Washington are legendary. I would seriously support any legislation that takes leakers and locks them up and exposed to the general prison population. The reason leaks are tolerated is because there's no consequence worth FEARING, and because some in Washington sorely WANT them.