RV Motor Homes - Gas or Diesel?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Looking for some input on this topic. I'm looking at spending about 200k on a vehicle. I know nothing about it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How many miles a year you plan on doing?
Lots of mountains or mostly flat lands?
Plan on doing any wrenching yourself?
Concerns about resale value?

Diesels are MUCH better for climbing hills. More expensive to maintain, lower operating cost as a little better mpg than gas. Last longer, retaining better resale value.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
How many miles a year you plan on doing?
Lots of mountains or mostly flat lands?
Plan on doing any wrenching yourself?
Concerns about resale value?

Diesels are MUCH better for climbing hills. More expensive to maintain, lower operating cost as a little better mpg than gas. Last longer, retaining better resale value.

I'd say diesel for a lot of other reasons..

USUALLY an RV is stationary, but the camper part can last 20 years or more..

For the little it runs, I think a diesel is better at sitting still for long periods then being run to move from point A to point B..

In 20 years you'll still have a usable AND drivable RV.. where a gas engine in 20 years, kind of "rots", you'll have a nice camper but you can't go anywhere.

BUT that's a best guess on my part.

limblips

PREMO Member
LG covered it well. A couple of additional things. They don't put gas engines in big trucks because the harder you work a gas motor the shorter the life and a motorhome will make a motor work!. Diesels also work best (efficiency and power) when they are at operating temperature. Diesels hate short trips. Back in the day when we had diesels for fathers business, we seldom shut them down during the day. All in all, MHO is that if you are looking at $200K, go diesel.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As has been already said, more information is needed on your intended usage.

Also, if you're going to spend $200k on what I presume is a Class A, why not take a look at a Fifth Wheel. For way less than that $200k, you can get a super nice 5W and a boss ass truck to tow it, which eliminates the need for a tow vehicle.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Looking for some input on this topic. I'm looking at spending about 200k on a vehicle. I know nothing about it.

Also, fill us in on lifestyle you envision: taking bikes, toys, stuff, lots of stuff? Minimalist? Park it and explore an area with a car or bike? Just endless driving? Long trips once in awhile? Frequent short ones?

What you wanna do will change suggestions dramatically.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Also, if you're going to spend $200k on what I presume is a Class A, why not take a look at a Fifth Wheel. For way less than that $200k, you can get a super nice 5W and a boss ass truck to tow it, which eliminates the need for a tow vehicle.

AND if the truck wears out before the camper (or vice versa) you only have to replace half of the rig. AND you have a vehicle to get around in when you get to where you're going.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Also, fill us in on lifestyle you envision: taking bikes, toys, stuff, lots of stuff? Minimalist? Park it and explore an area with a car or bike? Just endless driving? Long trips once in awhile? Frequent short ones?

What you wanna do will change suggestions dramatically.

Wifey retires in two years. I'm already retired, and hope to be around then pending this heart transplant bump in the road./ Looking to make some long journeys in 2019 - Fl - Alaska, and all points in between. I knew diesel got a bit better milage, but the other answers about longivity for the engine sounds like diesel. We will be towing a run around suv as well.

Thanks to all.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Another point of info I never thought of.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Another point of info I never thought of.

My parents did the RV full time for over 12 years.
They have a diesel pusher and towed their Honda Accord.
They would park the RV and use the Honda to sightsee.
They loved it.

I would rather have a class A and tow, then use a big truck to tow a 5W.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
5th wheels don't have the under storage space compared to a class A. If storage is important to you, then it's something to consider.

nutz

This option is the one I prefer. I can use the truck for other things around the farm and then hook up and go when I want. Where I'm going decides what goes in the back.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2017/toy-hauler/momentum/construction

itsbob

I bowl overhand
OR depending on how often you plan on moving it.. Buy a HUGE fifth wheel, and a Prius..

Have a service move your trailer for you, and you meet up with it in your Prius. Service may be a little expensive but probably have to move several hundred times to equal the amount of a nice Diesel pick up truck.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
5th wheels don't have the under storage space compared to a class A. If storage is important to you, then it's something to consider.

Ah, but they are much roomier living space wise and you can do a toy hauler design for massive storage as well as doubling as a second room and some have a half bath, way cool if that sort of thing matters.

We're opening up the whole can here. We just need OP to provide more detail as to his perceived use intentions so he can make a choice that will then not be ideal as everything he planned on doing changes! :lol:

Wishbone

1474cfbd492ce98cdf0c561987813042.jpg

61b6e1bd448623d10a5df635c63acd7c.jpg

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OR depending on how often you plan on moving it.. Buy a HUGE fifth wheel, and a Prius..

Have a service move your trailer for you, and you meet up with it in your Prius. Service may be a little expensive but probably have to move several hundred times to equal the amount of a nice Diesel pick up truck.

Or a class 8 conversion that will pull, and stop, 40,000#, have a sleeper on it, half bath, for day or weekend trips, turns tighter than a dually pick up and also has room for a smart car on the deck or bikes. And such. :lol: