Ryder Cup...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...I am loving this! They're playing on in downpour, standing water, rain blowing sideways and the crowd is out there with them having a ball. The only way it could be better is if they decide to get rid of the squeegees and just deal with it!

:buddies:

Montgomerie as Ryder Cup captain is pretty cool. But, I'd prefer to see him with clubs in his hands.

It still makes me sad to think he never won, and likely never will win, his Open. I'd pay a hundred dollars to see him in contention on the last few holes on an Open Sunday.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Montgomerie as Ryder Cup captain is pretty cool. But, I'd prefer to see him with clubs in his hands.

It still makes me sad to think he never won, and likely never will win, his Open. I'd pay a hundred dollars to see him in contention on the last few holes on an Open Sunday.

Nah. I like Mont as long time arrogant, insufferable boob who just never got it done in a major yet has this incredible, heroic history in the Ryder Cup.

The humility and the heroic; nice symmetry in the incredible world of golf.

Plus, he came far closer at ours than theirs anyway. :shrug:

Nah. I like Mont as long time arrogant, insufferable boob who just never got it done in a major yet has this incredible, heroic history in the Ryder Cup.

The humility and the heroic; nice symmetry in the incredible world of golf.

Plus, he came far closer at ours than theirs anyway. :shrug:

I never took Montgomerie as insufferable. I thought the treatment he received from many American fans, until more recently, was terrible and uncalled for. Frankly, I was a bit ashamed. I used to root for him to win in the American majors just to shove it in the face of some of the hecklers. :lol:

All things considered though, I'd have probably preferred he win the Open - though, as you indicate, he didn't exactly excel in it. I have to think it would have meant more to him, in the long run, than winning one of the American majors.

Ugh. They've decided to change the format such that there will be 4 sessions instead of 5.

Now, session 2 will have 6 foursome matches and session 3 will have 2 foursome matches and 4 fourball matches. So, everyone will play at least 1 foursome match and at least 2 partner matches as well as their singles match. I assume they did this trying to get done on Sunday, or in case they have more weather issues so that - worst case - they can still get through all the matches on Monday.

I don't like it.

This thing is starting to feel a little Brookline-esque. It's looked bad for the Americans all day, and now it comes down to 2 matches that the U.S. has to get one full point out of. At one point Rickie Fowler was down 3 with 3 to play, and at one point Hunter Mahan was down 3 thru 11.

Fowler gutted it out and won 16, 17, and 18 with birdies. Way to go, Rickie! Hunter won 12 and 15 and is now just 1 down with 3 left to play. Amazing stuff.

Well, the Europeans won it, but the Americans did manage to make it interesting with some gutty performances down the stretch. Kudos to both teams.

I can't imagine the pressure that Hunter had on him on the 17th, and it appears that it might finally have gotten the better of him.