Sabot Slugs: What's your Opinion?

JustynSayneBand

Well, I went to the range today and took my new guns virginity, what an awesome shootin' gun. I got a rainy day hunt gun, the new Rossi 20 gauge slug gun with the ported barrel and 3" chamber, simply and awesome gun, and deadly accurate. Just an El' Cheapo' bang gun that I can use for rainy day hunts, without fearing the rust of a good gun... nothing more, nothing less.

I used these new sabot slugs. first, 2 boxes of the Hornady SST 250 grain poly tip ($11.99 / 5), then, 1 box of the Remington 260 Premiers HP ($16.99 / 5). The 10 Hornady's were a simple waste of money down the range, however, the first three Remington's were on the bullseye, the last 2 Remington's were just for fun! Thanks to Remington, I was able to walk away with 5 shells.

Conclusion... stay far away from the Hornady's, 'cause they stay far away from the bullseye! Shooting these Hornady's was like playing Duck, Duck, Goose!

I'm curious to know who's got what opinion on the "Sabot slug VS. Rifled slug" debate in a rifled barrel.

So, who uses what type of sabot slug and what gun do you use them in.

Getting back to the gun: Bought it at Fred's for $199.00, best $200.00 I ever spent on a gun, excellent choice for a rainy day gun.

Looking forward to hearing opinions and remember, Keep Your Powder Dry!

PS: anyone reload sabot slugs up, in, and around in here?

Dwight

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I think all the new sabot slugs are all good to go. The key is, like what you did, is finding what slug is a good fit with your gun. I have always had good luck with Remington too, I always used the Copper Solids. This was before any of the new ones that you mentioned were out on the market.

I have used both sabot and rifled slugs out of my rifled shotgun barrel, depending on what set up I was hunting that day determined which one I chambered in the gun. I always just bring a extra box of each in my pack. I know that if I am hunting somewhere that my longest shot is going to be 50 yds. I'll just use the cheap rifled slugs, if I have longer shots I put the sabots in.

As far as the performance on deer, I haven't had any issues with expansion out of any of the slugs I have used and I find that a typical double lung hit from any slug will keep deer from running no more than 50 yds.

ETA- Try these slugs if you want to see what a true hard hitting slug is like. Dixie Slugs Simply The Most Powerful

Last edited:

JustynSayneBand

I shoot an 870 with 2 -3/4" Brenneke's for a slug.

Yeah, I was going to take a box or two of those with me but all I could find at Dick's and Fred's was the 12 gauge, they both could order them for me per box, but, I was hoping to get some for yesterday. I do still want to use try the Bren's, but, I guess I gotta order them for next time.

JustynSayneBand

As far as the performance on deer, I haven't had any issues with expansion out of any of the slugs I have used and I find that a typical double lung hit from any slug will keep deer from running no more than 50 yds.
[/url]

I was pretty impressed with the expansion on the Hornady's and Remington's, I guess I should look at it as all saboted slugs will be the same, but, I compared the expansion of the rounds from the Hornady's, Remington's to the Remington 12 gauge Sluggers that my buddy was shooting, and the sabots were just about the same size as the 12 gauge Sluggers when we got them out of the dirt. really impressed and not concerned with expansion with these sabots after yesterday's tests.

I've attached a picture, although it's blurry, and on standard rule notepaper for purpose of scale, you can get the idea of the expansion of the three slugs, in order:

Hornady 250 SST / Remington Premier Sabot 260 / Remington 12ga rifled Slugger

The expansion of the Remington Premier Sabot at 260 grains is clearly larger than the Hornady SST or the Rem. 12ga. Slugger.

Note: All three slugs were tested in a controlled environment to specifically evaluate the average expansion of the individual firearm ammunition. (sounds pretty professional enough, huh? LOL!)

Personal Note: Remington 240 Core-Lokt Sabots expand more than Barnes 240 Expanders, what's up with that?

Attachments

• 100_0511.jpg
    100_0511.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 80
Brenneke's with my 870
Sabot with my muzzleloader

:yeahthat:

Breneke Black-Magic's or the new Federal Tru Ball's- for the shotgun...

Cannot afford a rifled, camo'ed slug barrel for my Benneli right now!!! Might as well by a new gun just for slugs! :lmao:

The boy uses the Tru Ball's in his 20 guage...

Power Belt 295 HP's in the smoke pole! :yay: