Sacral Cyst

PsyOps

Pixelated
I went to the emergency room a couple of weeks ago with pain that felt like it was in my right colon area, and right lower back pain. After some xrays and CT scan they found a sacral cyst. I've been trying to read up on this but don't find much on what can be done about such a cyst. The doctor didn't seem too concerned about it

Has anyone had one of these and what was done to resolve it? I do have a follow up and probably will have an MRI done, but was wondering how these things are treated.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Don't bother having it drained...they just come back. I learned that the hard way....Even if you get it cut out there is still a chance...they are certainly a pain :ohwell:

I went to the emergency room a couple of weeks ago with pain that felt like it was in my right colon area, and right lower back pain. After some xrays and CT scan they found a sacral cyst. I've been trying to read up on this but don't find much on what can be done about such a cyst. The doctor didn't seem too concerned about it

Has anyone had one of these and what was done to resolve it? I do have a follow up and probably will have an MRI done, but was wondering how these things are treated.

Ok, I'm not a Dr., but here goes:

Perineurial (Tarlov) cysts are meningeal dilations of the posterior spinal nerve root sheath that most often affect sacral roots and can cause a progressive painful radiculopathy. Tarlov cysts are most commonly diagnosed by lumbosacral magnetic resonance imaging and can often be demonstrated by computerized tomography myelography to communicate with the spinal subarachnoid space. The cyst can enlarge via a net inflow of cerebrospinal fluid, eventually causing symptoms by distorting, compressing, or stretching adjacent nerve roots. It is generally agreed that asymptomatic Tarlov cysts do not require treatment. When symptomatic, the potential surgery-related benefit and the specific surgical intervention remain controversial.

Questions?

Perineurial (Tarlov) cysts are meningeal dilations of the posterior spinal nerve root sheath that most often affect sacral roots and can cause a progressive painful radiculopathy. Tarlov cysts are most commonly diagnosed by lumbosacral magnetic resonance imaging and can often be demonstrated by computerized tomography myelography to communicate with the spinal subarachnoid space. The cyst can enlarge via a net inflow of cerebrospinal fluid, eventually causing symptoms by distorting, compressing, or stretching adjacent nerve roots. It is generally agreed that asymptomatic Tarlov cysts do not require treatment. When symptomatic, the potential surgery-related benefit and the specific surgical intervention remain controversial.

Questions?

Wow. For not being a Doc, that was pretty good!!

:lol: Dumb thing is, I understood everything except the subarachnoid space. I'll have to look that one up. :nerd:

Wow. For not being a Doc, that was pretty good!!

:lol: Dumb thing is, I understood everything except the subarachnoid space. I'll have to look that one up. :nerd:

I think it's where spiders hide in a submarine.:roflmao:

You did spot the link I provided right?

PsyOps

Pixelated

Questions?

I did a lot of reading on it. I was looking for some sort of surgery that would remove the thing; but it doesn't look like this will happen; at least at this point.

I wouldn't say mine is "asymptomatic" though, since I do have some pain. Of course the pain isn't excruciating. Mostly pinching and annoying.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Don't bother having it drained...they just come back. I learned that the hard way....Even if you get it cut out there is still a chance...they are certainly a pain :ohwell:

Assuming you have one, you just live with it? Do you take any meds for it (for pain, to reduce the cyst)?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I only have occasional pain from it..feels like an awkward strain..or something..doc thinks mine, like many cysts changes size. I had it "drained" aspirated...didn't do any good. I believe they do surgury sometimes, cut it open put a drain in and fill it with packing material...not for me. So I mostly deal with it. sometimes lidoderm patches back there help some...but it isnt constant for me.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I only have occasional pain from it..feels like an awkward strain..or something..doc thinks mine, like many cysts changes size. I had it "drained" aspirated...didn't do any good. I believe they do surgury sometimes, cut it open put a drain in and fill it with packing material...not for me. So I mostly deal with it. sometimes lidoderm patches back there help some...but it isnt constant for me.

At this point mine (if that's what I really have) is causing a constant discomfort. I have aching in my lower back, some discomfort in my groin and down my right leg (sort of like a dull numb ache), and a pinching in my lower abdomen that feels like it’s right around the extreme right colon area. I have another doctor’s appointment tomorrow and I hope he will put me in for an MRI to get a better assessment for what this is. I just can’t imagine living with this the rest of my life.

Appreciate your input.