Sad Easter day on my farm

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Easter morning I went to feed the horses and check on my pregnant mini mare. I knew as soon as I saw her that she was in trouble. Called my best friend (most knowledgeable horse women I have known) and called the vet. Also called a good friend who is an EMT. The wait for the vet seemed like forever while he finished up another emergency. We made the mare as comfortable as possible while waiting. Vet found out that the foal was breech and upside down and had got entangled in the mares intestines. The only thing that could be done at that point was to put the mare down. With her last gasping breath, she died in my arms. It took me most of the rest of the day to dig her grave and bury her. Never got to see more than the back legs of the foal. Today I feel very lost and am definitely missing that Palomino paint with her deep blue eyes and sweet little nicker. With a heavy heart, I will make a cross for her grave and pick a bright bunch of daffodils for my Thunder.

Thunder is second from the left in the attached picture.

Attachments

• Mini's grazing June 08.jpg
    Mini's grazing June 08.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 304

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
How horrible! I am so very sorry for your loss. Poor little girl, may she rest in peace with her little one by her side.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Easter morning I went to feed the horses and check on my pregnant mini mare. I knew as soon as I saw her that she was in trouble. Called my best friend (most knowledgeable horse women I have known) and called the vet. Also called a good friend who is an EMT. The wait for the vet seemed like forever while he finished up another emergency. We made the mare as comfortable as possible while waiting. Vet found out that the foal was breech and upside down and had got entangled in the mares intestines. The only thing that could be done at that point was to put the mare down. With her last gasping breath, she died in my arms. It took me most of the rest of the day to dig her grave and bury her. Never got to see more than the back legs of the foal. Today I feel very lost and am definitely missing that Palomino paint with her deep blue eyes and sweet little nicker. With a heavy heart, I will make a cross for her grave and pick a bright bunch of daffodils for my Thunder.

Thunder is second from the left in the attached picture.

I'm so sorry for your little mini Thunder. Prayers for the both of you.:huggy::flowers:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
:huggy: I'm so sorry. Atleast she had you by her side when she took her last breath. I'm sure that meant alot to her.

fallon3386

Words cannot express how bad I feel for you. Take care knowing she was loved and you were holding her when she passed on. My thoughts are with you.

J

jp2854

I am sorry for your loss of your mini. I bet she was glad to have you with her when she took her last breath.

mingiz

Horse Poor
So sorry to hear this. It's a hard thing to go through. I know you will miss her but you have the others that need you. You did the best you could do. Hug for ya:smoochy:

Eventer29

So sorry to hear about your loss. I lost a pony the same way a few years ago the same way, 3 days before easter. <<hugs>>

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I am sorry. I went through a similar situation when I was a child watching one of my mom's mares have a baby and the same thing happened. It was devistating. I feel for you.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I'm so sorry....:bawl:
We lost the mare who taught my kids to ride, 2 years ago this June to a Gutteral pouch infection that spread to her brain. Chey is the bay mare.
I still tear up when i think about her and how losing her affected my family. It's never easy but it does get better with time.

Attachments

• Te-Cheyenne-2006.jpg
    Te-Cheyenne-2006.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited: