Saddle Advice

Loper

Animal Poor!
I am looking to buy a new saddle and need some advice from you experienced western trail riders. Prices out there seem to vary greatly, I already have a lower end saddle that I purchased a couple years ago but is way too long for my 14 hh Arab pony. I also have a middle-end Aussie saddle that I had riden him in before, but the fit isn't as good as it could be when I tried it on him last night. :jameo: I'm done making mistakes and would like to find a really good saddle that fits both him and me. What are some good western brand names to look for? Should I only be looking at Arabian Western Saddles? :whistle: There's so much information out there it's hard to read through it all. A Little help would be greatly appreciated!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Circle Y, Phil Harris..treed saddles I have and like..Bob Marshall treeless trail saddle that is the bomb and will fit anyhorse..and feels better then my couch. Come by and try a couple.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I have a 14'3 arab with a short back. His saddle is a barrel cut saddle...meaning that the skirt is rounded to stay clear of hip movement. When it comes to brand names my absolute favorite western saddle (and i have WAY too many) is a old SEARS saddle. :killingme Remember the saddles you could order from the Sears cataloug when you were a kid? This saddle is like my favorite pair of jeans...and it tends to fit most of the horses I come across.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
persimmoncf said:
I have a 14'3 arab with a short back. His saddle is a barrel cut saddle...meaning that the skirt is rounded to stay clear of hip movement. When it comes to brand names my absolute favorite western saddle (and i have WAY too many) is a old SEARS saddle. :killingme Remember the saddles you could order from the Sears cataloug when you were a kid? This saddle is like my favorite pair of jeans...and it tends to fit most of the horses I come across.

I had an english saddle that came from sears..got it when I was 16..I still have that saddle..I forgot about it till you said that...yeah arabs, pasos stuff with short backs do well with the rounded skirts...My Phil would NEVER fit on your horse or mine..

Loper

Animal Poor!
Pasofever said:
Circle Y, Phil Harris..treed saddles I have and like..Bob Marshall treeless trail saddle that is the bomb and will fit anyhorse..and feels better then my couch. Come by and try a couple.

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/flex-lite-arabian-saddle.html
http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/billycook-arabiansaddle.html

Here's a couple I looked at so far, I'll have to go look for the Bob Marshall one. Cause if it would fit a couple of the horses that would be even better. :lmao: Course I haven't even looked for a saddle for the Percheron yet, that will be next... :jameo:

Loper

Animal Poor!
persimmoncf said:

Loper is 14 with a very short back, the Aussie fits ok as it is a rounded skirt but it doesn't fit his withers that great. Don't go showing your age.... :killingme I never even got my first saddle til 4 years ago... :lmao: and I won't tell ya how old I was. I have ridden him in my neice's barrel saddle and I loved it. The stir-ups just seemed to fit my legs better, plus it was a very old used saddle and completely broken it.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Loper said:
Loper is 14 with a very short back, the Aussie fits ok as it is a rounded skirt but it doesn't fit his withers that great. Don't go showing your age.... :killingme I never even got my first saddle til 4 years ago... :lmao: and I won't tell ya how old I was. I have ridden him in my neice's barrel saddle and I loved it. The stir-ups just seemed to fit my legs better, plus it was a very old used saddle and completely broken it.

:razz: Its Ok i bought the saddle about 6 years ago from the geezer that ordered it in the early 1900s :lmao: But, Im still old. When I grad from high school we dressed like the kids today (they are copying us with the stripes and the minis) but we had the big hair thing going on. :lmao:

Loper

Animal Poor!
Pasofever said:

Don't mind if I do come by and at least look at them. :huggy: I looked at some specs of the Bob Marshall treeless varieties and like what I read. Is there any disadvantage to a treeless saddle?

Loper

Animal Poor!
Pictures of my little Arab when he was still at GMF.. he was a little fatter back then. :whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_6273.jpg
    IMG_6273.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_6274.jpg
    IMG_6274.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_6340.jpg
    IMG_6340.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 98

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Loper said:
Don't mind if I do come by and at least look at them. :huggy: I looked at some specs of the Bob Marshall treeless varieties and like what I read. Is there any disadvantage to a treeless saddle?
I use the Barefoot saddles I have both the English and Western one. The biggest thing is that they can slip when mounting, you should use a mounting block, and a high quality saddle pad is a must. I have several granduer pads, and a dryback skito. I believe Paso uses a skito as well. They're pricey but well worth the money. One of the current horse magazines has a good article on western saddle pad comparisons for the treed saddles, which is a great read. I'll try to find it and post some info. I LOVE my Barefoot Cheyenne. I'd like to get a size one, i currently have a size 2 which is a tad big for me, but still super comfy.

Paso which is the one that makes your um....hootie sore because you rock back and forth and bang everything up so badly? The one i tried of yours and hated?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
happyappygirl said:
I use the Barefoot saddles I have both the English and Western one. The biggest thing is that they can slip when mounting, you should use a mounting block, and a high quality saddle pad is a must. I have several granduer pads, and a dryback skito. I believe Paso uses a skito as well. They're pricey but well worth the money. One of the current horse magazines has a good article on western saddle pad comparisons for the treed saddles, which is a great read. I'll try to find it and post some info. I LOVE my Barefoot Cheyenne. I'd like to get a size one, i currently have a size 2 which is a tad big for me, but still super comfy.

Paso which is the one that makes your um....hootie sore because you rock back and forth and bang everything up so badly? The one i tried of yours and hated?

Yep I use skito pad too and love them....The Halison (cheap treeless on ebay) was a coochie killin saddle..I HATED it...they said they have modified it but it was just made cheap too..

Phil Harris is a full size rough out work saddle...but full skirts too big for an arab and the work saddles start at $2500 (couple years ago) but need a full size type QH to carry them. You can use it if you want to see if you like it..

Happys barefoot treeless is an option too I have heard good things about them..

The Bob Marshalls are MADE TO ORDER...mine is a trail saddle with fenders and horn removed. Which has the cheyenne roll on the cantel. I was told not to get their endurance as they are rigged more forward which you do not want on the gaited horses..

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Pasofever said:
Yep I use skito pad too and love them....The Halison (cheap treeless on ebay) was a coochie killin saddle..I HATED it...they said they have modified it but it was just made cheap too..

Phil Harris is a full size rough out work saddle...but full skirts too big for an arab and the work saddles start at $2500 (couple years ago) but need a full size type QH to carry them. You can use it if you want to see if you like it..

Happys barefoot treeless is an option too I have heard good things about them..

The Bob Marshalls are MADE TO ORDER...mine is a trail saddle with fenders and horn removed. Which has the cheyenne roll on the cantel. I was told not to get their endurance as they are rigged more forward which you do not want on the gaited horses..
do you use a mounting block with that one? Does is slip?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
happyappygirl said:
do you use a mounting block with that one? Does is slip?

Actually NO not usually...and it is a youth cut so the width is shorter so less horse contact they told me that one could slip..but it does NOT

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Pasofever said:
Actually NO not usually...and it is a youth cut so the width is shorter so less horse contact they told me that one could slip..but it does NOT
it's the skito pad then. mine didn't slip today either even on that crazy mountain we rode on. :biggrin:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
happyappygirl said:
it's the skito pad then. mine didn't slip today either even on that crazy mountain we rode on. :biggrin:

Must be..I love the skito pad I have..I have two never used the second one..That is the saddle that slid on the TWH but it slid back not sideways..I did not have a breast collar on today on Jose' and got off several times on our ride today as you saw..NO problems...Did you get the pics??

Loper

Animal Poor!
Pasofever said:
Must be..I love the skito pad I have..I have two never used the second one..That is the saddle that slid on the TWH but it slid back not sideways..I did not have a breast collar on today on Jose' and got off several times on our ride today as you saw..NO problems...Did you get the pics??

Have you ever have Elam fit a saddle? I heard he is good, just that you have to bring the horse to him. :lmao: Just trying to do as much research as possible. :razz: And find as many options open to find a good saddle fit.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Loper said:
Have you ever have Elam fit a saddle? I heard he is good, just that you have to bring the horse to him. :lmao: Just trying to do as much research as possible. :razz: And find as many options open to find a good saddle fit.

:howdy: YES, I have had Elam fit a saddle for me...a $1200 Stueben (SP?) LOVED it, and then the horse died. :jameo: . BUT Still ended up with a fantastic saddle, and Elam is great at fitting them. PLUS if horses change in the future and you want to keep your saddle, he has the expertise to correctly mod the saddle at a very reasonable price. He has mod'd two saddles for me...Gotta love Elam!