saddle cleaning?

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
I borrowed a saddle from my aunt, a Bob Marshall Treeless Sport (barrel) saddle, and now she's wanting it back. I just wanted to know if y'all knew any good places to take it to get cleaned, and how much it usually runs for.

Also since I'll be a saddle short, anyone know of someone selling any barrel saddles (15 in.) for a good price? I would LOVE to buy a saddle like my aunts, but the sizing is so wierd I'm afraid to buy anything offline because it might not fit correctly, and they run for $700+ USED. I'm hoping someone will be selling a few (barrel saddles in general) at the tack swap in howard next weekend.
Thanks!

devinej

do you just want to clean the leather? I'd use a castile soap, real cheap, and neadsfoot oil to condition the leather afterwards.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Don't mean to disagree, but some Neatsfoot oils degrade leather (ones that aren't natural Neatsfoot) and it attracts mice in my experience it also attracts dirt.

I use Leather New on all of my B-Ms to clean them, then follow up with a light mink oil rub down. Works great.

Heres a link to taking care of leather:

Cleaning tack

Bob Marshalls are made of high quality leather.

Last edited:

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
I'm too lazy to do it myself... I wanted to get the silver and stuff cleaned really well. Also 3/4 of the saddle is suede , which I have no clue how to clean other then taking a brush to it.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I'm too lazy to do it myself... I wanted to get the silver and stuff cleaned really well. Also 3/4 of the saddle is suede , which I have no clue how to clean other then taking a brush to it.
O I C.
Maybe Riceville will clean it for you?

If you do it yourself, Suede is hard to get really clean, all you can do is use a stiff bristle brush to brush up the nap. Be careful, too much brushing will wear through the suede and you’ll end up with holes in it.

I use Brasso for silver and conchos.

If it was mine, I'd be grateful that you broke the saddle in and made it nice and comfy. :smile: What saddle pad are you using with it and did you like it?

Last edited:

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
O I C.
Maybe Riceville will clean it for you?

If you do it yourself, Suede is hard to get really clean, all you can do is use a stiff bristle brush to brush up the nap. Be careful, too much brushing will wear through the suede and you’ll end up with holes in it.

I use Brasso for silver and conchos.

If it was mine, I'd be grateful that you broke the saddle in and made it nice and comfy. :smile: What saddle pad are you using with it and did you like it?

i just use a non-slip saddle pad (its that tacky material) which worked out fine. Loved the saddle, you can "feel" the horse, and it has a nice deep comfy seat.I liked that it was light weight too.
I believe riceville does cleaning, but i wasnt too sure, i was thinking one of y'all might have had it done before. But anyway thanks y'all for the tips!