Saddle help

Wait4It..boom

Hi- I know there are several threads that go on about saddles. Sorry to repeat but I'm in the market for a new one and could use some expert opinions (since all of my saddles have been hand-me-downs).
My girl has an odd shape (usually have to overstuff one side of a saddle to get it to fit her better). She is very broad shouldered: wide/extra wide at the withers but is substantially narrower through her mid-area and butt. And equally important- I have lower back problems (a long trail ride or a hard buck tends to send me to the chiropractor). Typical english saddles don't have enough support and dressage saddles tend to be too wide (for me) due to the knee blocks and already sitting on a wide horse. I like the idea of a cantle (for those OH CRAP moments) but don't want the bulk and weight of a western saddle. I've been looking at the Tucker Endurance/Equitation saddle and am curious about the Bob Marshall treeless because of what I've read on the forums. I did sit in a Cashel Soft Saddle and it seemed super comfy. I am nervous to spend hundreds for a soft saddle or in excess of thousands of dollars for another saddle without knowing if it really will fit.
Wish there were "try before you buy" options.
Any opinions??? Any websites you may know of would be helpful too.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I have back and knee problems and I ride 3-6hrs in an Eli Miller.Very comfy. They have a western type trail saddle and they also have the old timer and a Buena vista. I ride in a Buena Vista 104W now. If you would like to try it and your close let me know. I rode in a Bob Marshall yesterday was to small but it was nice. Just make sure you measure your seat size correctly with them... A friend has the tucker endurance and loves it..It's a wide tree .....Good Luck in your search. :howdy:

here is a link They are very light saddles and I'm impressed that they are made well and aren't going to break the bank...

Stone Creek Saddles London, Kentucky / London, KY

Wait4It..boom

Thanks for the link. I like the Buena Vista model on the site. The picture of the Buena Vista keeps switching from a brown (cantle and horn) to a black with no horn model. I am assuming these are the 2 choices for the Buena Vista 104??
On average, how much do they run in price? I like the idea of not breaking the bank!
I like the Tuckers for myself, but tried a Tucker wide tree on my horse- it was a tad too narrow in the withers area. I am concerned that the extra wide will be too wide. I'm in the Lusby/St Leonard area but work at Pax. Not sure if that's close to where you are. I'm up for any suggestions/help at this point.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Thanks for the link. I like the Buena Vista model on the site. The picture of the Buena Vista keeps switching from a brown (cantle and horn) to a black with no horn model. I am assuming these are the 2 choices for the Buena Vista 104??
On average, how much do they run in price? I like the idea of not breaking the bank!
I like the Tuckers for myself, but tried a Tucker wide tree on my horse- it was a tad too narrow in the withers area. I am concerned that the extra wide will be too wide. I'm in the Lusby/St Leonard area but work at Pax. Not sure if that's close to where you are. I'm up for any suggestions/help at this point.

There are a few local tack stores that will let you try first. PF has Just In Time Tack?? something like that.. there is Elaim at Loveville, Wheatleys and Gayers who will come and fit the horse at your place with several choices, his name is Leonard. I have several western saddles for sale but they are the older Big Horns and such and HEAVY, JMO. I had a Tucker that I liked but I sold it to get a lighter saddle, never did!!! I ended up getting an Orthoflex but I think they are used mostly with gaited horses.

Last edited:

ElliesMom

the guy over in upper marlboro was fabulous!!!!!

You can bring your horse to him and he will fit her (I am doing that with my odd shaped mare)

You can also trade in within reason a non fitting saddle. I will tell you the man wont but something he doesnt think is worth it so do some background stuff, let me find the link, hes right out there by Rosaryville and he has saddles from reasonable, 350-400$$ and up.

I am to the point now, I really prefer a real saddle compared to (sorry) treeless or the cashel soft. I am a traditionalist as long as its ok w/ my horse.

Gayer Saddle/Tack: Gayer's Saddlery, Inc.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
the guy over in upper marlboro was fabulous!!!!!

You can bring your horse to him and he will fit her (I am doing that with my odd shaped mare)

You can also trade in within reason a non fitting saddle. I will tell you the man wont but something he doesnt think is worth it so do some background stuff, let me find the link, hes right out there by Rosaryville and he has saddles from reasonable, 350-400$$ and up.

I am to the point now, I really prefer a real saddle compared to (sorry) treeless or the cashel soft. I am a traditionalist as long as its ok w/ my horse.

Gayer Saddle/Tack: Gayer's Saddlery, Inc.

:yay::yay:Leonard came out to the house to fit my son's WIDE pony with a nice English saddle. I asked him to bring along some bridles to match and a saddle pad!!! Saved me the trip and everything was nice quality.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Gayers who will come and fit the horse at your place with several choices, his name is Leonard.

I'd reccommend NOT using Leonard to do the saddle fitting...almost every horse he looks at is "wide" and then in a short time you've got some big problems. I've had 3 friends use him and they have NOT been happy. If he has a saddle you want in the size you need, fine but do not rely on his knowledge/opinion when choosing the best saddle for you and your horse.

I bought a stubben dressage saddle from Elam @ Loveville and I've been thrilled with it. I took my big beastie down there and tried 4-5 saddles on him and rode in two before I made my choice. Elam is very knowledgable and very fair. I'd buy from him again in a heartbeat.

But, difficult to fit horses sometimes can't take "stock" treed saddle in which case I'd suggest a well known saddle fitter like Susie Coffey (the most recent # I have for her is 410-489-3636. If that doesn't work let me know and I can get an updated one for you.) Or, you can also look at treeless saddles like some others here have mentioned. For one of my mares I have a treeless Barefoot London. I LOVE it! Super comfortable and very light. Barefoot Saddles® - Quality Treeless Saddles Imported from Germany

Wait4It..boom

Thanks SO much to all who replied. I know this same question gets asked many times and I appreciate you all being patient and answering it again. Thanks also for the websites! I would have to borrow a friend's trailer to take her to get fitted; which is why I am hesitant! Murphy's Law says something would happen and I'd owe her a new trailer! :O)
Phyxius- I like the treeless saddle site you sent. The Sierra or Atlanta look like ones I'd be interested in. My gut tells me she needs something less restrictive (e.g., a treeless) because of her being lopsided. I've had her actually cow kick when I've tried putting on this one dressage saddle (poor thing!). The prices aren't bad either! Thanks again!

Wait4It..boom

I have a dressage and an all purpose saddle. I was looking for something more like an endurance saddle or an Australian type saddle. Want a little more security than what I have now.