sailboat slip

exiled

Looking into new hobbies within budget. Any lowest to highest priced marinas and what they charge? Minimal service, just a slip. Tall Timbers Marina looks like a basic, no frills type of place.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We keep a boat in a covered slip there. Great family-run marina with some event weekends like Oysters & Beer that are fantastic. Their Sunday brunch is one of the best around.

jrt_ms1995

Looking into new hobbies within budget. Any lowest to highest priced marinas and what they charge? Minimal service, just a slip. Tall Timbers Marina looks like a basic, no frills type of place.
Could you define a general geographic area of interest, or how far you'd consider driving?

Midnightrider

On the Potomac you have tall timbers, combs creek, Dennis point and coltons point marinas that are pretty sailboat friendly.
on the patuxent you have your choice of places in Solomon’s, st Leonard’s creek, brooms island.

if you have base acess you can get a slip at either the red center or on NAS PAX.
Depending on where you keep her you may need to sail to another marina for your haulout needs

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oh..and just FYI,....Due to the extensive silting and long-term lack of channel maintenance, unfortunately Combs Creek (a tiny marina), Dennis point and Coltons Point/Cather marinas are iffy for sailboat access these days. Still possible with careful navigation, local knowledge and a high tide....

jrt_ms1995

As Gilligan alludes to, your draft may be a concern. If you just want a slip, with no haulout, maintenance, electric, etc., Cherry Cove Marina may work for you. If you think Tall Timbers is no frills, Cherry Cove will show you what that really means. Don't expect to sail out of the cove into Breton Bay; the entrance is too tight and the winds usually won't allow anyway. Draft through the entrance is generally 5 feet, though.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Calvert Marina .... $5 a foot per month LOA (length overall). No water depth issues. Solomons Back Creek area. Spitting distance to the mouth of the Bay.

Midnightrider

As Gilligan alludes to, your draft may be a concern. If you just want a slip, with no haulout, maintenance, electric, etc., Cherry Cove Marina may work for you. If you think Tall Timbers is no frills, Cherry Cove will show you what that really means. Don't expect to sail out of the cove into Breton Bay; the entrance is too tight and the winds usually won't allow anyway. Draft through the entrance is generally 5 feet, though.
Combs creek is a bit deeper than that through the mouth, closer to 8 feet most days. I’m pretty sure coltons point is too, although I don’t go in there nearly as often.
but you aren’t going to sail out of any of the marinas I suggested anyway. I am assuming a guy working on a budget is going to be sailing a medium to small cruiser so the draft shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Are retractable keel sailboats a thing around here ?
They are..but generally anything over about 24' will more often have a fixed keel. It's a real "buyers market" for used sailboats in the 26-36' range too...in fact, I've been offered a number of them for the cost of putting them back overboard. Tall Timbers has always had several freebies and so has Dennis Point. Cather too, for that matter.

I recently scored a '41 Hatteras sport fishing boat the same way. Free for the cost of launching. Of course I'll have a lot more than that in it to make sure it's in running condition and with fresh bottom paint and zincs before it goes overboard.

BernieP

Resident PIA
My understanding is owning a boat is not a budget friendly hobby.
It's probably cheaper than a NASCAR team, but definitely more expensive than hiking.