Salon products

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
My stylist suggested I use Redkin Shampoo/conditioner for my hair. They make one for blondes and she said it has protein in it which my hair needs since it's long and I color it. I have never been one to use these products mainly due to the price. She could not suggest a product I could buy at Target, Walmart etc because they are not guaranteed (sp?). Is it worth the money to buy the salon product? Any stylists out there with any info? I've been told by others to stay away from Suave (too drying) and Pantene (wax build up). TIA.

B

Beth_kennedy

My stylist suggested I use Redkin Shampoo/conditioner for my hair. They make one for blondes and she said it has protein in it which my hair needs since it's long and I color it. I have never been one to use these products mainly due to the price. She could not suggest a product I could buy at Target, Walmart etc because they are not guaranteed (sp?). Is it worth the money to buy the salon product? Any stylists out there with any info? I've been told by others to stay away from Suave (too drying) and Pantene (wax build up). TIA.

I use Alterna White Truffle Shampoo and Conditioner. It is the best and a little goes a long way. A bottle will last me about a month. Worth every penny.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Can't say I've heard of that. Another of my concerns is I have alot of hair. My stylist has to add extra time to my appointments because of this. I use alot of conditioner and I'm always running out of conditioner before shampoo.

B

Beth_kennedy

Can't say I've heard of that. Another of my concerns is I have alot of hair. My stylist has to add extra time to my appointments because of this. I use alot of conditioner and I'm always running out of conditioner before shampoo.

My hair is almost touching my waist and it is very thick. That is why I love this line of products. I use about a dime size for both and my hair is so soft and silky and just healthy looking.

angelbaby

I can tell you the products in the store like walmart, target, etc, are very watered down. The ones you get in the salon are very concentrated so even though it costs more it comes out to almost being the same. If she recommended the Blonde glam by Redken that is an awesome product. It makes your hair super shiny. The guarantee ensures that if you don't like the product you can return it no questions asked. You can't do that with products you buy in walmart or target. I hope this helped!

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I'm pretty sure that's the product she mentioned. She said they'd probably have a back-to-school special on the liters maybe at the end of the month. Maybe I'll splurge and see how it goes/what I think. Another stylist (before she moved) told me that Herbal Essence was a good one to get. Thanks.

Jameo

What?!

I have used Redken Color Extend for probably the last 4 yrs. Get me hair highlighted/colored every 4-6 wks and I have VERY healthy hair. Checked Ebay. When I hair down to my ass, I'd buy the color extend by the gallons :lmao: Now that I have short hair, I go to JCPenney and get my products. They seem to always have some type of sale going on. When they have the buy 1 get one free, I'll stock up.

sockgirl77

Clairol Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship (red bottles). My hair is to the middle of my back. Looked great until I switched conditioners last week because I thought I'd try something that smelled better. :doh:

lbreder

2into4

I use Redkin all the time. I have VERY thick hair and it constantly needs treatments. So in between those treatments I use Redkin cause it does really work and makes my hair easier to manage. I have to straighten my hair and this helps cause it doesnt make my hair feel yucky when im working on my hair. Dont know if I made any sense, but I tried!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
She could not suggest a product I could buy at Target, Walmart etc because they are not guaranteed (sp?).
My hairdresser tells me to buy shampoo/conditioner at Target, Wal-Mart, CVS, etc. She doesn't bother with Redken, Matrix, Alterna and says that Suave and the like work just as well. I have to agree. I've used salon and store bought products and both work just the same. :shrug: You could always compare ingredients.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I straighten my hair also but only on the weekends. During the week I don't need to really do my hair because I have to wear it up. I did try the Herbal Essence for long hair but didn't care for it. I went back to the stuff for colored hair. It seems to do ok. Maybe I'll get some if they go on sale to try or just look for a conditioner treatment to use once in a while as a treat. Thanks for the responses and feel free to keep the opinions coming.

sux2b44

I heart CLeValley

They "recommend" products for extra commission. Yes sometimes they are better than what most of us buy off the shelf, but I use any type of shampoo (on sale) and conditioner - usually not the same brands. I color my hair and its naturally curly - I blow it out once in a while for special occasions. But I have found Suave brand - made after the "big" name brands are just as good.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I used to use Pantene. Hairdresser told me to stop using it because it has protien. Too much protien can be just as damaging. If your hair is damaged from color and blow drying, pick up a jar of Pantene creme treatment, slap it on your hair before you go to bed, cover with a shower cap, wash in the morning. After you do this a few times, you'll see improvement. Just don't use a high protien product every day.

Like someone else said, compare the ingredients. The stuff on the shelf at Target is just as good.

I started using Garnier sleek and shine shortly after it came on the market and I've had awesome results with it. I also use the anti frizz serum and like it much better than Redkin glass.

angelbaby

They "recommend" products for extra commission. Yes sometimes they are better than what most of us buy off the shelf, but I use any type of shampoo (on sale) and conditioner - usually not the same brands. I color my hair and its naturally curly - I blow it out once in a while for special occasions. But I have found Suave brand - made after the "big" name brands are just as good.

It's not just for the commission believe me it's not that much. It's because we truly want your hair to be the best it can be. Pick up your bottle of suave and read the first ingredient...it's agua which means water. If the money is the issue shop the sales. When they have the liters get them then. They will last you forever. I push them mainly for the guarantee alone. You can return them if you don't like them. You can't do that anywhere else.

shannonbrio

I use Biolage. I usually pick it up at Hair Cuttery. They carry the big bottles of Redken. I think its something like 2 for $26. Been awile since I have been in there.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
When you first by the product in the salon its great, but if it's refillable....I've been in many salons where I hear the counter girl tell the owner that they don't "have enough for the refill" and the owner says to just add water.

tyky

eieio
I have always used whatever my stylist recommended until lately, I was out and at Food Lion and feeling cheap and I bought Sunsilk shampoo and conditioner and I have never been happier. My hair is softer, shinier and doesn't feel as if it gets greasy as fast

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I use the John Freida anti-frizz serum. That works pretty good. I have used the Biosilk stuff (similar to Glass). That stuff works great but is expensive. I just came from Walmart and they have Nexxus products there. I want to say the first ingredient on that was water as well. Their salon carries Redken products. They were 2 for $35 but they didn't have the stuff for blondes in the liters.