Salt Alternatives

Doc has me on a very low salt diet. I've been cutting a lot out, trying to be conscious of what I'm eating. Thought I'd try one of the salt alternatives. Most use potassium instead of sodium, but I'm sensitive to potassium. Found one that uses a combination of sodium/potassium. Best way to try it is on a ripe tomato.

yuk. Has an almost sugary taste, and leaves a long lasting not pleasant after taste. I'll try it for a while, see if it gets more acceptable, but right now I think I'd rather just cut real salt to a bare minimum.

stgislander

PREMO Member
When docs put my +90yr old grandfather on a low sodium diet in the VA hospital, he started carrying around a bottle of vinegar and some Mrs Dash.

mitzi

Doc has me on a very low salt diet. I've been cutting a lot out, trying to be conscious of what I'm eating. Thought I'd try one of the salt alternatives. Most use potassium instead of sodium, but I'm sensitive to potassium. Found one that uses a combination of sodium/potassium. Best way to try it is on a ripe tomato.

yuk. Has an almost sugary taste, and leaves a long lasting not pleasant after taste. I'll try it for a while, see if it gets more acceptable, but right now I think I'd rather just cut real salt to a bare minimum.

I tried all of the alternatives too and they're terrible. You'll gradually get used to cutting back on the salt. After years of doing this, I don't even really like food with added salt now. I'm not saying I never eat salt but you will get used to cutting back on it.

I tried all of the alternatives too and they're terrible. You'll gradually get used to cutting back on the salt. After years of doing this, I don't even really like food with added salt now. I'm not saying I never eat salt but you will get used to cutting back on it.
Thanx. That's kind of my plan...

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

My mom started using a salt alternative many moons ago unbeknownst to my dad. It was because of the TIA he'd had, and he was supposed to cut down/out the salt. He'd had hypertension for years, too.

Anyway, he was mightyyyyyyyy ticked off when he found out, because everything tasted bad and he thought he'd been going nuts. :lol: I would guess the alternatives are better than they were in the 80's - but maybe not.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I only salt eggs and potatoes. Most other dishes call for enough spices or herbs to compensate for salt, which I'd rather taste.

I've been known to ask for unsalted fries at times in certain restaurants. Especially if they make homemade fries. Fresh made fries taste SO GOOD!

Nick's over here in Prince Frederick used to make home made potato chips and I always ordered them unsalted, and they'd make them for me. But they don't make potatoe chips anymore. :bawl:

nutz

I was looking for a link to Bensons (which isnt bad), I cook with more herbs and lemon now. I ran across this one and may have to order it just to keep on the table. :lmao:
Amazon product

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
I have been doing this for 46 Years now. It works for me. Thank you for saving me from explaining.