Salt in large quantities for pool

glhs837

Power with Control
Setting up an above ground pool to use a saltwater system, initial fill will require about 150lbs of table salt. Anyone know who locally sells large bags/containers of salt?

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Setting up an above ground pool to use a saltwater system, initial fill will require about 150lbs of table salt. Anyone know who locally sells large bags/containers of salt?

Wouldn't the pool store sell it? I go to the one in Solomons and I did hear someone getting supplies for their saltwater pool.

bcp

In My Opinion
Sneak into the pool some night, find out:popcorn:

Just google "saltwater pool" or "chlorine generator" for details.
saltwater pools are awesome, stay the clearest and the cleanest for the least amount of work.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
I have a salt water pool and I get mine from the pool place. 40 or 50 pound bags, can't remember which. :shrug:

glhs837

Power with Control
To close the loop on this. Mcays indeed does sell 20lb bags. Only problem was that Great Mills had only three, Wildwood appeared to not carry it, Charlotte Hall has them, but shelf was bare. Leonardtown, luckily for me, had about 8-10 bags.

Luckily for me, I had to do the round robin around the county to visit relatives. Its Morton, pure salt, cost was $4.49 a 20lb bag. Of course, I got 150lbs, and the chart that came with the generator says I need 160:)

Still got dome final leveling to do, and the fill, which will take a day or two, so I got time.

onebdzee

off the shelf
To close the loop on this. Mcays indeed does sell 20lb bags. Only problem was that Great Mills had only three, Wildwood appeared to not carry it, Charlotte Hall has them, but shelf was bare. Leonardtown, luckily for me, had about 8-10 bags.

Luckily for me, I had to do the round robin around the county to visit relatives. Its Morton, pure salt, cost was $4.49 a 20lb bag. Of course, I got 150lbs, and the chart that came with the generator says I need 160:)

Still got dome final leveling to do, and the fill, which will take a day or two, so I got time.

Cullins Trucking 301-769-3674 will bring you a tanker load(6000gals) for $250

MMDad

Lem Putt
Can't you use water softener salt? It should be cheaper at Lowe's than you would get at McKay's.

glhs837

Power with Control
You can use water softener salt (I found out afterwards:) but evidently, it takes a good bit longer to dissolve. Well, Intex 18'x48" round levelled and asembled, water going in now.:)

Wife and I debated having it filled, but decided to take it slow, being a rubberized fabric aboveground, better to go slow and make sure its all right as we go. I am quite happy with the engineering that went into this thing.

Fabric is more like what the survival rafts we trained with than anything I've ever seen a pool made out of. Very heavy duty, tough stuff. Poles are sturdy, quick connect pins make it a breeze. Assembly takes about 30-45 minutes.

Welcome to Intex Recreation

You see all those poles and assume its going to be a pain, but it really isnt. Only tool needed is a screwdriver that you need for 6 fasteners for the ladder. Otherwise its all quickpins.

glhs837

Power with Control
Update time.

Well, been about two weeks now. system is fantastic. Runs for 12 hours a night, and the chlorine levels stay right where they should be.