Sand blasting old furniture?

UglyBear

All,
does anyone have a sand blasting setup?

I love restoring old furniture (mostly sand down, repair what needs, repaint -- use!), and recently acquired several old wooden pieces that have too many beautiful turned parts to sand by hand (or with a power sander).

If anyone has a sandblasting setup that can fit a large rocking chair, and will let me work in it for a bit (several hours?), I will be happy to compensate (name your price -- beer or cash, we will figure it out).
I would be happy to provide my own sandblasting sand and will clean up afterwards.

UglyBear

Wouldn't you want a soda blaster or maybe use walnut shells? I would think that sand would just chew through the wood.
I read that sand works, just at lower pressure and very gently. But I would be happy to try soda or walnut shells.

I just don't have a rig, and don't have space now to store one -- otherwise I would have already acquired one :)

black dog

Free America
This will do exactly what you are looking for without the chance of damage.

Circa 1850. Furniture Stripper...

UglyBear

That's awesome. Sadly I don't own a compressor, and not likely to own one for at least two years (space to put it while it's not used). That's why I'm asking to borrow somebody's.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Pretty sure you could rent or borrow a compressor easier than getting someone to loan or let you use their sand blaster. :yay: