Sand Clear?!! opinions please

amschrader87

I just bought a 6 year old thoroughbred gelding who's 300lbs underweight, so were feeding him three times a day and so on. My question is he has a big gut on him and it's not worms because we've had him checked. So im wondering if he maybe has sand in his belly. I've tried the whole put poop in a jar and let it sit and the sand will settle to the bottom. Well it just looked like poop soup to me lol.. When he eats he pushes his food out of the bucket and ends up eating it off the floor of his stall which has saw dust. I'm worried he's eating saw dust too. I've moved the saw dust out from under his bucket, but this is almost impossible to get it all. does anyone have experience with sand clear? Does it work well? or what about metamucil? any suggestions ? :howdy:

devinej

metamucil or generic brand is just as good, but they are usually more willing to eat the sand clear.
a big belly probably just means lack of muscle and fittness. everything sort of starts to sag, making it look like's he's got a big belly. the opposite is the super fit race horse with the wasp waist. once he starts to build more mucsle and top line, the look of the belly will go away.

amschrader87

metamucil or generic brand is just as good, but they are usually more willing to eat the sand clear.
a big belly probably just means lack of muscle and fittness. everything sort of starts to sag, making it look like's he's got a big belly. the opposite is the super fit race horse with the wasp waist. once he starts to build more mucsle and top line, the look of the belly will go away.

Ok thanks, I was thinking maybe it might be because he's out of shape also. If I try metamucil how much do i give him and how often he weights about 902lbs right now..

Yep - I'm with devine on this one. An unfit underweight horse is one of the major causes of "haybelly." Another thing to consider, though, is the quality of the hay he is getting. If it is really stemmy and mature (if you see lots of seedheads), then it may be taking up a large amount of room in his gut and increasing the hay belly look. If you want to put weight on him, he needs a VERY good quality hay - maybe even an alfalfa hay if you can find it. Good luck.

chicamuxen

Tapeworms, can't be "checked" for and one of the most common causes of thin and big bellied. And a lot of folks don't treat for them regularly, some never do. Tapes are a very common cause of colic also. Do a deworming for tapes.

chicamuxen

amschrader87

Right now we have orchard grass hay, Thats mostly what i've found people are selling. Would alfalfa cubes help any or maybe a weight builder. He's on sentinal performance ls. 5lbs 3 times a day whcih is what the vet recommended. And i weighed/taped him last week he was 902 and today he was 930 so he's gaining.

heres a pic if it helps
two weeks again when we first got him
rocketnew.jpg

and this week
rocket04.jpg

PrepH4U

Right now we have orchard grass hay, Thats mostly what i've found people are selling. Would alfalfa cubes help any or maybe a weight builder. He's on sentinal performance ls. 5lbs 3 times a day whcih is what the vet recommended. And i weighed/taped him last week he was 902 and today he was 930 so he's gaining.

heres a pic if it helps
two weeks again when we first got him
View attachment 78775

and this week
View attachment 78776

He already is looking better! What a difference a week makes. Keep up the good work! :yahoo:

devinej

i think you are doing a great job. he looks much better! i'd say just keep doing what you are doing, its obviously working :)

Cowgirl

Wow, a big improvement already! It's amazing how fast horses will gain weight when they're actually being fed! :rolleyes: