Sanders Suggests Removing Tax Deductions For ‘Large’ Companies That Don’t Pay At Least $15 An Hour

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Senate Budget Committee Chairman Bernie Sanders (I-VT) suggested he would develop a work-around plan to increase wages across the U.S. after the Senate parliamentarian determined that lawmakers couldn’t do so through the reconciliation process, the same process that would allow Democrats to pass a bill without any Republican support.

“In the coming days, I will be working with my colleagues in the Senate to move forward with an amendment to take tax deductions away from large, profitable corporations that don’t pay workers at least $15 an hour and to provide small businesses with the incentives they need to raise wages,” Sanders announced on Thursday evening. “That amendment must be included in this reconciliation bill.”

Hijinx

Nothing like attacking business's who are struggling with a pandemic and lost revenue like screwing them with a new tax.
The Democrats rally know how to make America successful.s/

Rommey

Bernie Sanders said:
I’m confident that we have a majority in the United States Senate including the Vice President that would vote to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour as part of President Biden’s American Rescue Plan.
If you have a majority of the Senate that would vote to increase the minimum wage, then why would the Vice President need to vote? So clearly you don't have a majority of the Senate.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Nothing like attacking business's who are struggling with a pandemic and lost revenue like screwing them with a new tax.
The Democrats rally know how to make America successful.s/
Democrats are not beyond cooking the goose that lays the golden eggs.

They dont' think beyond the second step of anything.

SamSpade

If you have a majority of the Senate that would vote to increase the minimum wage, then why would the Vice President need to vote? So clearly you don't have a majority of the Senate.
This sounds like my youngest who takes one bite of her sandwich and says "I'm almost done".

Reactions: BOP

BOP

Senate Budget Committee Chairman Bernie Sanders (I-VT) suggested he would develop a work-around plan to increase wages across the U.S. after the Senate parliamentarian determined that lawmakers couldn’t do so through the reconciliation process, the same process that would allow Democrats to pass a bill without any Republican support.

“In the coming days, I will be working with my colleagues in the Senate to move forward with an amendment to take tax deductions away from large, profitable corporations that don’t pay workers at least $15 an hour and to provide small businesses with the incentives they need to raise wages,” Sanders announced on Thursday evening. “That amendment must be included in this reconciliation bill.”

So instead of being the employer of last resort, the government becomes the employer of first resort.

SamSpade

How could something like that be legal?
I have to say this kind of thing is what exasperates me most about DC - and that is they can break the law almost at will and there’s no “cop” saying ummm, can’t do that, that’s illegal. There’s nothing “automatic” about following the law because no one ever gets punished for it.

herb749

There isn't a 51st Senator. They should just do like the SC when short a member. 4-4 means no ruling.

Hijinx

They won't be satisfied just killing off the little guys, Bernie wants to go after the big guys too,

In the end it is you and I who will pay.

Business does not lose money they just pass it on to you and I and sht heels like Bernie who never worked a day in his life don't give a fuk.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Wall Street Journal, citing three people familiar with the matter, reported Sunday evening that Democrats will no longer seek to use tax penalties or other options to compel companies into paying a higher minimum wage. Two of the people familiar with the plan told the WSJ that the decision was made to get the bill passed more quickly.

According to The Washington Post, which cited two congressional aides, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) was exploring Friday the idea of raising the wages through tax penalties, but it was unclear whether Democrats would support it.

Earlier this week, the Senate parliamentarian tossed cold water on President Joe Biden’s idea of passing a $15 minimum wage hike through the stimulus bill, saying that the wage hike as written didn’t follow the rules of the Senate reconciliation process. Democrats will need to rely on reconciliation, a maneuver with complex rules that involves fast-tracking legislation related to the budget, to pass a bill without Republican support.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) still included the $15 minimum wage hike in the House-passed version of the legislation, dubbed the American Rescue Plan, and some lawmakers were exploring options for keeping a wage hike in a Senate version.