Saphron Restaurant in Prince Frederick

Beta84

They're out to get us
I'm trying to understand what gives...

My favorite restaurant in this area, by far, is Saphron. They have fresh food, they buy local, and they have great and incredibly friendly service. The only place I've been to in Calvert that can even compete with the quality is CD Cafe. In St Mary's, there might be a couple (Front Porch & Cafe Des Artistes) that are close to par.

But if I want to go out on a Friday night, if I show up at CD Cafe around 6pm, I'm probably waiting for hours. I haven't tried going to one of the two St Mary's places, but I know they are usually pretty busy. However, if I go to Saphron, it's EMPTY, regardless of when I go. Never more than 3-4 tables that I can tell.

To me, this is outrageous. How on earth is this place always so empty? Why does nobody go there? The menu is good, the food is great, there's almost nothing to complain about. Occasionally they're out of some stuff, but it's local produce so you expect that sort of thing. And for military people, one of the owners is former military!

Anyway, why don't more people go to Saphron? Is it the location or what? Like I said, this is far and beyond my favorite restaurant and I'd hate to see it get overly crowded like CD Cafe, but at the same time I want them to survive as a restaurant and make a good business. If they ever close I'll be angry with all of you! :burning:

I think more people need to try them out. For anyone interested, check out their website...it's an easy google but I think it's saphronrestaurant.com

I think it lost its quaintness when they put up a parking lot.

I was thinking that. No atmosphere. CD Cafe overlooks the scenic river, people can leave there and walk down to the boardwalk to get an ice cream cone. More of an outing than just a place to eat.

Pete

Repete
Saphron is one Back creek Bistro is another that is great but nearly always empty. I wish people who snap out of the Applebees rut and go to these places. I can't keep them going alone!

thurley42

HY;FR
Saphron is one Back creek Bistro is another that is great but nearly always empty. I wish people who snap out of the Applebees rut and go to these places. I can't keep them going alone!

I get a laugh everytime I go to Ouzo's in Laplata. You pass droves of people standing outside of Texas Roadhouse and Applesbees to walk right in and get an actual great meal...

But unlike everyone else,I want them to stay there....I like being able to go in with no wait.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I'm going to throw a turd here:

This just demonstrates what I've been saying for years: that while people are always complaining about the chains and whining that there are no "local" places that, when given a choice, the chains win damn near every time. Which means that eventually the local closes and the complaining starts again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it lost its quaintness when they put up a parking lot.

Right after they paved paradise.

#1, it's not a chain.
#2, it's not on the main drag so people see it every day.
#3, the only advertising she gets is the great reviews on here.

I've had numerous pleasant evenings on Saphron's front porch or in one of their cozy dining rooms and we pretty much had the place to ourselves. The food is outstanding, the service is spot on, Charlene couldn't be any more charming, but people like their Crapplebee's.

On a positive note, I had dinner at DiGiovanni's Friday night and they were PACKED. Which is great because I like it there and would be sad if they went away.

sockgirl77

While on a bike ride yesterday, we passed by Saphron's. I mentioned that I had never been there before or even heard any friends talk about. After reading this, I'll be back up that way to give it a try. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Right after they paved paradise.

#1, it's not a chain.
#2, it's not on the main drag so people see it every day.
#3, the only advertising she gets is the great reviews on here.

I've had numerous pleasant evenings on Saphron's front porch or in one of their cozy dining rooms and we pretty much had the place to ourselves. The food is outstanding, the service is spot on, Charlene couldn't be any more charming, but people like their Crapplebee's.

On a positive note, I had dinner at DiGiovanni's Friday night and they were PACKED. Which is great because I like it there and would be sad if they went away.

It's off the beaten path. I do have to admit that I have not been there since Saphron's took over after it was Old Field Inn. I never think about it and I don't spend much time over in the Prince Frederick area. Solomons, yes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I never think about it

And there it is. I never think about it and I've been there probably a dozen times. But it's not at the front of my brain and when someone says where should we go for dinner, Saphron rarely comes to mind.

frequentflier

happy to be living
And there it is. I never think about it and I've been there probably a dozen times. But it's not at the front of my brain and when someone says where should we go for dinner, Saphron rarely comes to mind.

Though I am not available for several Fridays, I think it would be a great place for a meet and greet. I have always heard wonderful things about them :buddies:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Where else is there in PF to eat at, that is a nice sit down place? I have not been to Jerry's, but it doesn't scream ambiance to me. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Where else is there in PF to eat at, that is a nice sit down place? I have not been to Jerry's, but it doesn't scream ambiance to me. :lol:

The outside of Jerry's does not match the inside, it's very cute and cozy and the food/service is EXCELLENT. He likes to play with food and make up new dishes, so there are always interesting specials going on.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

yeah right next to a tire joint doesn't usually say "hey what a great place for a meal" :killingme but the food is sooooo good and the service is excellent. worth the trip past the tires.

Hank

my war
The outside of Jerry's does not match the inside, it's very cute and cozy and the food/service is EXCELLENT. He likes to play with food and make up new dishes, so there are always interesting specials going on.

I hate his location!....but love the food!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
yeah right next to a tire joint doesn't usually say "hey what a great place for a meal" :killingme but the food is sooooo good and the service is excellent. worth the trip past the tires.

My Mom and I stopped there hoping to get a meal, but the wait was really long, so we headed down to Solomon's instead.