Saphron Restaurant in Prince Frederick

dilligaf.

Saphron doesn't have prices on their online menu - that is a turnoff. Therefore, won't be going there. Also that bread pudding picture they have on their online menu looks gross.

Went to Old Field Inn several times back in the day - it was beautiful with the big old trees out front etc etc. It certainly got ugly compared to how it was.

Last edited:

GopherM

Darwin was right
I don't know what the restaurant (Saphron's) is like since I have never been there, but we recently went to a banquet that they catered and bar non it was one of the worst and strangest meals I have ever had on the rubber chicken circuit. Based on what was served I just can't imagine taking a chance to drive all that way to sit down at one of their tables.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I love Saphron's food. Yes, it is pricey, but you get what you pay for. I LOVE their collard greens! The shrimp and grits are also very delicious, as is the fried chicken!

I have never been to Jerry's - no reason - it's just been on the back burner, and haven't had the opportunity for one reason or another.

I did not care for Mama Lucia's in Dunkirk, however, I have had decent food at the Prince Frederick location, although that's been about 4 years ago. :lol:

River's Edge in Benedict.

GREAT food, free hush puppies (Made with Crack, or something, because they scream "Eat me"), service is usually pretty good, and the option to eat on the outdoor deck that is on the water.

Decor is dreadful, and everytime we talk about it with staff, they say the owner is very set in his ways and doesn't want to remove to Christmas decorations, or take down the "store room" walkway out to the deck.

Once the food comes out, it's pretty easy to look past that though.

I recommend an order of Mussels for an appetizer. But be warned, you better like butter and garlic. :lol:

If you prefer Latin food, Fiesta. In the same shopping center as Ledo's

I don't think they've changed it since it was Shorter's. :lmao:

Bann

PREMO Member

GREAT food, free hush puppies (Made with Crack, or something, because they scream "Eat me"), service is usually pretty good, and the option to eat on the outdoor deck that is on the water.

Decor is dreadful, and everytime we talk about it with staff, they say the owner is very set in his ways and doesn't want to remove to Christmas decorations, or take down the "store room" walkway out to the deck.

I recommend an order of Mussels for an appetizer. But be warned, you better like butter and garlic. :lol:

The whole place screams 50-cent draft Budweiser but the food is VERY good.

The food is very good at River's Edge and we had excellent service when we were there for a Friday Night get together. :yay: It was also very clean and not icky smelling, etc.

I haven't tried Fiesta - but isn't that the same place that used to be called Skull's? We tried them once and they didn't match up to La Toleca, which is my favorite go to for Mexican food in PF. They are family owned, have been there a number of years and the food is consistently well prepared, service is prompt, efficient AND friendly, and the food is consistently (very) GOOD!! The price for the Things and I to all eat out was always very easy on the budget, as well. :yay:

I took my nieces from Florida there last year, as well as my aunt & uncle from New Orleans - and they all loved the food. (and the margaritas!!)

Beta84

They're out to get us
Saphron doesn't have prices on their online menu - that is a turnoff. Therefore, won't be going there. Also that bread pudding picture they have on their online menu looks gross.

Went to Old Field Inn several times back in the day - it was beautiful with the big old trees out front etc etc. It certainly got ugly compared to how it was.

I agree, it's nice to see prices listed online. I think most of their stuff is in the low 20s, but you can find a few things cheaper.

The reason I'm responding is because regardless of what the bread pudding looks like (I didn't see the picture), it's FANTASTIC. Absolutely their specialty dessert. They don't call it $10-million bread pudding for nothing :yay: (apparently for $10 mil they'll give you the bread pudding recipe...and their restaurant :lol:)

Oh and :smack: to RoseRed for posting a restaurant that sounds really good, then I realize is out in California :burning:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A friend of mine once told me, when my Nebraska was coming out and I remarked that there were no prices on the menu at the schmitzy restaurant we were at, "If you need to see prices you cannot afford to eat here."

He was an arrogant ass and our romance didn't last long, but he had a point. If $10 per entree is going to make or break you, Applebee's is right around the corner.

frequentflier

happy to be living
A friend of mine once told me, when my Nebraska was coming out and I remarked that there were no prices on the menu at the schmitzy restaurant we were at, "If you need to see prices you cannot afford to eat here."

He was an arrogant ass and our romance didn't last long, but he had a point. If $10 per entree is going to make or break you, Applebee's is right around the corner.

I don't mind spending big for a fantastic meal.

But a substandard meal with an expensive pricetag makes me want to puke it back up and leave it on a plate.

Chris0nllyn

I haven't tried Fiesta - but isn't that the same place that used to be called Skull's? We tried them once and they didn't match up to La Toleca, which is my favorite go to for Mexican food in PF. They are family owned, have been there a number of years and the food is consistently well prepared, service is prompt, efficient AND friendly, and the food is consistently (very) GOOD!! The price for the Things and I to all eat out was always very easy on the budget, as well. :yay:

I took my nieces from Florida there last year, as well as my aunt & uncle from New Orleans - and they all loved the food. (and the margaritas!!)

It used to be Skull.

Someone else took over and changed the name, food, everything.

We love this El Salvadorian place in DC called Las Placitas. Well, the cousin of the guy who runs that place runs Fiesta. Sal is his name.

IMO, La Tolteca doesn't even compare to Fiesta.

PS...get the seafood soup....:drool:

Cali Transplant

Have boat will travel
I had my wedding reception at Old Field Inn back in 2008. Loved that restaurant. They did an outstanding job with the reception, and all the guests had a great time.

I haven't tried Saphron yet; will have to give it a try.

Bann

PREMO Member
It used to be Skull.

Someone else took over and changed the name, food, everything.

We love this El Salvadorian place in DC called Las Placitas. Well, the cousin of the guy who runs that place runs Fiesta. Sal is his name.

IMO, La Tolteca doesn't even compare to Fiesta.

PS...get the seafood soup....:drool:
I don' t know if Fiesta is any good or not, but of course there is no comparison to La Tolteca - as you said the owners totally changed the type of food.

Skull was one step up from Taco Hell & was in no way comparable to LaTolteca.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member

I was there a couple of Saturday nights ago and everyone but me and the hubby had grey hair! :lol:

asaberan

Looks like Saphron closed permanently. Their sign on the building is gone and it looks like nothing is there.

It's a shame, it was a nice restaurant. I had my wife's surprise birthday there a few years ago and Charlene was great. We only went one other time though, since we were just like a lot of people in this thread--always forgot about it.

Last edited:

Hank

my war
Looks like Saphron closed permanently. Their sign on the building is gone and it looks like nothing is there.

It's a shame, it was a nice restaurant. I had my wife's surprise birthday there a few years ago and Charlene was great. We only went one other time though, since we were just like a lot of people in this read--always forgot about it.

Damn. That sucks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sorry to hear that. They really needed to advertise and market better, become a top of mind restaurant, especially since they were so tucked away.