Sarah Sanders leaving

SamSpade

I thought she was GREAT. I have never seen a WH Press Secretary handle an unruly press corps the way she did,
or had to be subjected to so much crap during her tenure and keep her cool.

We've had some poor press secretaries in the past - I thought Ari Fleischer, Jay Carney and Sean Spicer were terrible.
I thought Tony Snow was great - but sadly succumbed to cancer. I liked Dana Perino even though I thought she was
probably too nice for the job.

I'd really like to see Candace Owens for the job. She can handle it.

Chris0nllyn

I thought she was GREAT. I have never seen a WH Press Secretary handle an unruly press corps the way she did,

We've had some poor press secretaries in the past - I thought Ari Fleischer, Jay Carney and Sean Spicer were terrible.
I thought Tony Snow was great - but sadly succumbed to cancer. I liked Dana Perino even though I thought she was

I think she had a tough job. She had to give the press information at the same time Trump was tweeting and sometimes that information was conflicting. She was loyal, though. Hell, Sean Spicer spent his life in politics and the job was too much for him.

I also think she let the job get to her a few times. She let the press pool push her buttons to the point she had to lie (or maybe it's the loyaly).

I don't think a Press Sec. is even necessary at this point. She hasn't had one in months and Trump told her not to bother because the press is so mean to her. Trump thinks the press is the enemy of the people and he uses Twitter in order to avoid questions, so why the need for one?

SamSpade

so why the need for one?

Because it's a great tool for the White House - IF the person is up for the job.
Now I've heard differing points of view about being part of the White House press corps - generally, it can be an undesirable job that also
carries a very high degree of visibility. Let's face it, you can be the number one face on Headline News or CNBC, but make a noise in a
WH Press Conference, and you're a household name.

But you're also sort of a captive audience. You get fed what the WH wants to give you. You wait on their exasperating schedule, and
you kind of have to be there.

Which means, if you have the right person there, you can routinely hand them their ass.

The press is generally - it's supposed to be, at some level - antagonistic towards the White House. That's kind of its role.
That's why they're THERE. Even under Clinton, they questioned and challenged - only under Obama did they fawn and flatter
and get all atwitter. And Obama was brutal to them in return.

transporter

She hasn't held a daily press briefing in over 3 months.

She hasn't done her job in over 3 months.

This is what qualifies as "great" in your opinion?

This_person

I didn't realize her singular job is to hold daily press briefings.

Can you show me where you found that tidbit of (mis)information?

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

-

--- End of line (MCP)

Reactions: BOP

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If reporters just stuck with the 5 W's, and how, all would be pretty much harmonious. But noooooo. They have to get personal, confrontational, whilst being all sanctimonious making accusatory and inflammatory statements intertwined with a question, or a number of questions, that take 2 minutes to get to. And then, then, interrupting in the middle of an answer with another question or statement. Is it any wonder there are so few WH press briefings anymore?

truby20

Fighting like a girl

I used to really respect your opinion

Dana Perino was, and is, amazing. She managed communications from a White House who took us to war, she was masterful. Sanders muddied her way through the best economy on record with no major new conflicts, she canceled countless press briefings and I’m looking forward to her replacement.

littlelady

God bless the USA

Dana Perino was, and is, amazing. She managed communications from a White House who took us to war, she was masterful. Sanders muddied her way through the best economy on record with no major new conflicts, she canceled countless press briefings and I’m looking forward to her replacement.

As pretty, and perky as Dana is, she is non-commital. That is the difference between her and Sarah.

SamSpade

You still can. I hope.

What I liked about Sarah was her ability to manage an extremely hostile press.
I still like Dana on The Five. I still actually laugh when Jasper gets mentioned.
I'm sure she inserts him just to get Greg.

But I can't recall a WH Press Secretary getting booed out of a restaurant - and that's small potatoes.
She handled those situations in a fashion that even an even tempered person such as myself - well I'd
either explode or doubt my worth as a human being. She wasn't just antagonized at press briefings - it
happened morning noon and night.

I hope the next person is up for it, because they're not going to be any nicer.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm guessing Sarah doesn't want to go the path of Ron Ziegler. She saw it coming so she's getting out.

No reason to hire a replacement. They can just gut the press briefing room and reopen the swimming pool that's still underneath the press room.

SamSpade

I'm guessing Sarah doesn't want to go the path of Ron Ziegler. She saw it coming so she's getting out.

No reason to hire a replacement. They can just gut the press briefing room and reopen the swimming pool that's still underneath the press room.

I've been reading that the function of a WH Press Secretary is diminishing and has been for quite some time.
Like actual newspapers and magazines, the function is becoming obsolete.

On the other hand, I wish Presidents themselves did more press conferences.
I don't know if it was the norm throughout his term, but I recall that - initially - Obama would
only field questions submitted in advance and approved. It even made die-hard Dem supporter
Helen Thomas FURIOUS. Trump seems more at ease in them, but he still doesn't do them often.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I've been reading that the function of a WH Press Secretary is diminishing and has been for quite some time.
Like actual newspapers and magazines, the function is becoming obsolete.

On the other hand, I wish Presidents themselves did more press conferences.
I don't know if it was the norm throughout his term, but I recall that - initially - Obama would
only field questions submitted in advance and approved. It even made die-hard Dem supporter
Helen Thomas FURIOUS. Trump seems more at ease in them, but he still doesn't do them often.

I remember way back when Gerald Ford would have two press conferences each month.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Meh ... end these dog and pony shows aka press conferences just issue a statement that cannot be spun [as easily]

BOP

I'd have cut a bitch - looking right at Jim "Me Me Me" Acosta.

Attachments

• What-does-coffee-taste-like.png
    What-does-coffee-taste-like.png
    303.3 KB · Views: 142