Sarcasm requires more brain activity than sincerity

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2005/may/23/psychology.science

The highest functions of our brains handle the lowest form of wit, new research suggests.

An investigation by Simone Shamay-Tsoory and colleagues shows that the ability to understand sarcasm depends on a carefully orchestrated sequence of complex cognitive skills in specific parts of the brain.

Dr Shamay-Tsoory, a psychologist at the Rambam Medical Centre in Haifa and the University of Haifa, said: "Sarcasm is related to our ability to understand other people's mental state. It's not just a linguistic form, it's also related to social cognition."

The research revealed that areas of the brain that decipher sarcasm and irony also process language, recognise emotions and help us understand social cues.

MMDad

Lem Putt
the ability to understand sarcasm depends on a carefully orchestrated sequence of complex cognitive skills in specific parts of the brain.

These forums have proven that wrong. The really stupid people always understand sarcasm.

:frown:

Now I don't know if you're still being sarcastic, because you knew I was being sarcastic, because I knew that you were being sarcastic.

I must not be one of those people with that higher functioning social cognition thing they were talking about because I can't figure this one out. Double :frown:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:frown:

Now I don't know if you're still being sarcastic, because you knew I was being sarcastic, because I knew that you were being sarcastic.

I must not be one of those people with that higher functioning social cognition thing they were talking about because I can't figure this one out. Double :frown:

YES!! I'm smarter than Tilted! I'm smarter than Tilted! :dye:

AND! I just found out that I can vote with my vagina! Woot! :dye:

Toxick

Splat
These forums have proven that wrong. The really stupid people always understand sarcasm.

images.jpg