Satellite vs Cable

wv4x4

How many people have switched to satellite from cable. Im tired of my cable bill being outrageous. Is it any cheaper? Direct tv or Dish?

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
wv4x4 said:
How many people have switched to satellite from cable. Im tired of my cable bill being outrageous. Is it any cheaper? Direct tv or Dish?
It's not any cheaper but it's a lot clearer and more reliable. Be careful what package you get because it can get expensive. I don't have any of the pay channels, HBO, Cinemax etc.. but still pay over $60 a month. This is with Dish Network.

red_explorer

Loving Directv! I pay $45 with music channels and extra reciever. My parents pay almost double that for cable with no extras in North Carolina.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
Dutch6 said:
It's not any cheaper but it's a lot clearer and more reliable. Be careful what package you get because it can get expensive. I don't have any of the pay channels, HBO, Cinemax etc.. but still pay over $60 a month. This is with Dish Network.

I am in the process of switching. Tried to get Directtv. They just gave me the run around about instillation. So I checked out Dish Network. I am getting a big package, all the channels, digital, dual receiver for $10 less then Directtv. If I find that I need to change my service, I can downgrade!!
I can't get HDTV where I live, too many trees, but a regular dish works. :bawl:

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good
wv4x4 said:

No brainer here.........Go with Direct TV. NFL sunday ticket..nuff said!

smsd

DA BEARS!!!
We have DirecTV and love it. We had cable previously and the picture quality was horrible compared to satellite.

wv4x4

bfncbs1 said:
No brainer here.........Go with Direct TV. NFL sunday ticket..nuff said!

Direct tv was my choice over dish for that reason. Has anyone had problems with Direct. What does everyone use for the intraweb? I dont have DSL in my neck of the woods! :duh:

refi-rep

wv4x4 said:

I had the local cable before, we currently have Direct tv and what a big difference in picture quality. My kids love it because they have like 10kids channels and theres alot of channels that I am just getting around to exploring, I ve had it for over a yr. Havent had a problem with it going out with various weather condititions. I would recommend to anyone...big thumbs up! :yay:

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
Cable was expensive and everything about it sucked, even the customer service. Switched to Directv and everything has been fine. We have HD and that recording thingy and a couple receivers. We didn't have all that crap with cable but our bill was more. We switched to Directv when cable company sent letter saying they were raising fees. Have no compliants with Directv

Homer J

Power Chord
So am I making a mistake by considering dropping DirecTV and going with Metrocast? The only reason I'm looking into it is for the cable internet. I am just so sick of dial-up. I know you can get cable internet without subscribing to the tv part but it is cheaper if you bundle it.

:jameo: Help, I'm confused.

wv4x4

Homer J said:
So am I making a mistake by considering dropping DirecTV and going with Metrocast? The only reason I'm looking into it is for the cable internet. I am just so sick of dial-up. I know you can get cable internet without subscribing to the tv part but it is cheaper if you bundle it.

The cable internet is nice but the tv part blows! Im trying to find alternatives for internet other than cable but just cant find them without going back to dial up. What does metro cast charge for just intraweb?

Homer J

Power Chord
wv4x4 said:
The cable internet is nice but the tv part blows! Im trying to find alternatives for internet other than cable but just cant find them without going back to dial up. What does metro cast charge for just intraweb?

Actually, I can't find anything on their website that gives pricing for just the internet service.

Anyone got Metrocast internet without the TV portion?

SamSpade

We do the DirecTV internet also. It used to be called DirecWay but now it's HughesNet (even though the same redhead does the commercials).

It's pretty reliable but it is a separate antenna and the setup is not free. You can pay for it all up front (ours was 600) or you can stagger the payments through your first year.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
SamSpade said:
We do the DirecTV internet also. It used to be called DirecWay but now it's HughesNet (even though the same redhead does the commercials).

It's pretty reliable but it is a separate antenna and the setup is not free. You can pay for it all up front (ours was 600) or you can stagger the payments through your first year.

:yeahthat: I pay about $60/month for my hughesnet service. The speed is acceptable but satellite 'net is unreliable for gaming or VPN. The satellite the dish points to for 'net is different and it does tend to lose link more often than DirecTV.

dn0121

I have Dish and Metro for internet. Metro has 2 tiers of service. I think one is $30+ and then the one I have at 6mb dl 768k ul for $45. I got rid of Verizon ($66) a month and switched to VOIP for phone service at $26 a month.

If you just wanted a lot faster then dial-up you could go with the lower tier and you would be happy. Some people who pay for the 6mb tier don't get that speed because they are in a crowded area. People in my neighborhood use Verizon DSL because it is so much cheaper so I get the full 6mb speed. I couldn't get DSL for the dumbest reason that I won't go into now, but it is another reason I dumped Verizon.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Homer J said:

I THINK there maybe a $10 difference..

Something about fair business practices has stopped them from charging exorbitant prices for internet if you don't have cable TV..

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.. DirecTV (better HD AND NFL Ticket) and Metro for Internet.

JustTheFax

On the Right Side.
I live in an area that offers a package, telephone, internet, TV, HD TV & a HD DVR on one set, TV has 3 premium chanels, HBO, Showtime, Stars for $129.00 a month.

I have been happy with the service.

I could go without a home phone, rarely us it. However the pack price is cheaper than TV & Internet.

Just wait till Verizon has FIOS available in your area.

Verizon will bring a Fiber Optic line to your home, and split the signal to telephone, internet & TV, prices start at $99.00 a month.

dn0121

Had ATTs version in Texas. It was OK but not as good as Dish. Will be curious though once it is ready.