Save a few bucks wrapping gifts this year...

Hessian

Sorry if this may appear overly frugal...but I recall last year making a sudden trip to a department store because we were short of gift bags & wrapping paper.
16.00 later I owned 4 bags and 2 thin rolls of paper.
No....not going to make that mistake again.
I tackled a job I had thought was a waste of time: sorting gift bags in storage bins in the basement. What did I find? Probably over 100 dollars in bags, tissue paper, labels and tins.
Now since 98% of this comes from China,...why not do the ol' 1943 approach and recycle those bags & tins. Save yourself a trip to the store & buying more Chinese crap. I suppose Loopy Joe is teaching some Americans a lesson: We cannot afford to live in this economy,...we must get by with significantly less.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle... and wear an extra sweater like it's the Carter years.

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad
.. and wear an extra sweater like it's the Carter years.
sweaters are made in China and cost $25 or more. Fuel oil is made in the USA and only costs $5. I’m turning my heat up to 72*. I refuse to wear a Chinese sweater!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My friend has you beat. I just got a package from him today.
A recycled PO Flat Rate box with the old ship label still on it.
Wrapped in brown paper so he gets a cheaper rate than the Flat Rate box. By his admission, the brown paper he used was also pre-used.
The gift was wrapped in saved re-used Christmas wrap.
As was the tissue paper, and the paper bag which came from a very different store than the item that was in it.

He embarrasses his wife regularly when they go out.

I'd call him frugal, but he's WAY beyond that. Makes Scrooge look like a high roller.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
My friend has you beat. I just got a package from him today.
A recycled PO Flat Rate box with the old ship label still on it.
Wrapped in brown paper so he gets a cheaper rate than the Flat Rate box. By his admission, the brown paper he used was also pre-used.
The gift was wrapped in saved re-used Christmas wrap.
As was the tissue paper, and the paper bag which came from a very different store than the item that was in it.

He embarrasses his wife regularly when they go out.

I'd call him frugal, but he's WAY beyond that. Makes Scrooge look like a high roller.
I don’t see any issue with this. I use crab paper to wrap boxes to ship

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't have room to store a lot of stuff, but when I lived in the house I had a closet dedicated to previously used wrapping paper, bags, bows, etc. One year I got a bday present in a gift bag I'd reused for the person who reused it for me. :lol:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I don't have room to store a lot of stuff, but when I lived in the house I had a closet dedicated to previously used wrapping paper, bags, bows, etc. One year I got a bday present in a gift bag I'd reused for the person who reused it for me. :lol:
It served it's purpose and you got a good chuckle out of it. Win win.