Saving America...

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Railroad said:
:yeahthat: No need to waste the time/effort, IMHO.

There's a difference between arguing and debate. I hate to argue, thought I find debate to be quite useful. Why not use it as a tool to further understand things? Why not attempt to disprove your own views to be sure that they hold up to logic and reason? If you can't see things from more than one perspective, how much do you really understand them? If don't entertain those additional perspectives, are you really using them?

If its worth believing, if its worth living, if its worth speaking to others about, is it not worth understanding? Accepting something for truth, simply because its what you want and choose to believe is one of the most foolish decisions you could ever make.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Chain729 said:
There's a difference between arguing and debate. I hate to argue, thought I find debate to be quite useful. Why not use it as a tool to further understand things? Why not attempt to disprove your own views to be sure that they hold up to logic and reason? If you can't see things from more than one perspective, how much do you really understand them? If don't entertain those additional perspectives, are you really using them?

If its worth believing, if its worth living, if its worth speaking to others about, is it not worth understanding? Accepting something for truth, simply because its what you want and choose to believe is one of the most foolish decisions you could ever make.
Look:
Romans 16:17-19
17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. 18 For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple.
NKJV

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
RR,

First off, I don't believe in the New Testament; it doesn't hold water. There's a post around here somewhere about me throwing it through the logic blender and it not holding up. I refuse to go into specifics, not because I can't, but because I don't have the time to write the pages required to adequately explain my position.

Second, if you want to believe something, just to believe it; be my guest: The weakest mind is the one that questions nothing. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that care to believe what they want, instead of actively searching for truth. The pragmatic definition of "truth" is a bit different than the generally accepted one- and worth a look if you're into philosophy.

BTW, you're the first to tell me I have a silver tongue. Most people tell me that I need to learn to quit being so blunt :lol:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Chain729 said:
RR,

First off, I don't believe in the New Testament; it doesn't hold water. There's a post around here somewhere about me throwing it through the logic blender and it not holding up. I refuse to go into specifics, not because I can't, but because I don't have the time to write the pages required to adequately explain my position.

Second, if you want to believe something, just to believe it; be my guest: The weakest mind is the one that questions nothing. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that care to believe what they want, instead of actively searching for truth. The pragmatic definition of "truth" is a bit different than the generally accepted one- and worth a look if you're into philosophy.

BTW, you're the first to tell me I have a silver tongue. Most people tell me that I need to learn to quit being so blunt :lol:
Look:
Romans 16:17-19
17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. 18 For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple.