Saw that coming

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So let's say someone breaks into your house. You...call the cops? And then what? Refuse to allow them in or answer any of their questions?

Pretty ####ing stupid, if you ask me.

Entirely different situation than what I assumed was being discussed previously. ? I thought the other posts were more related to what happens if you are approached by LEO that are on a fishing expedition and not up front with you as to what for or why.

glhs837

Power with Control
So let's say someone breaks into your house. You...call the cops? And then what? Refuse to allow them in or answer any of their questions?

Pretty ####ing stupid, if you ask me.

Ah, no, I would use my judgment, that's a thing people can use to decide a course of action. If I call them to assist me with a problem I having, that's one thing. If they come to my house asking me about a thing I don't know about, and insist I should come with them to answer questions down at the station about this thing I don't know about, just maybe I should think they are not there to help me with this thing I have no connection with, but to help themselves with this thing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Entirely different situation than what I assumed was being discussed previously. ? I thought the other posts were more related to what happens if you are approached by LEO that are on a fishing expedition and not up front with you as to what for or why.

So if you need cops to question someone about a crime committed against you, that's okay; if they want to question you about a crime committed against someone else, you should tell them to go to hell.

Got it.

I think some of you (not you, Gilligan, personally) lead such boring little lives that you positively froth at the mouth in hopes that something exciting will happen, like maybe a cops will come kick in your door and try to false arrest you so you can go all Dog Day Afternoon on them and make the news. It's childish and silly, and doubtful it will ever happen unless you hang with sketchy amigos and might fall under suspicion because of the company you keep. In which case I'm okay with them rousting you.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So if you need cops to question someone about a crime committed against you, that's okay; if they want to question you about a crime committed against someone else, you should tell them to go to hell.

That is NOT what I said. Unless you can find a post to the contrary.

But there are a LOT of very good reasons to be very cautious in what you say or do when "cooperating" if you don't have solid idea of why you are being asked to do so and are 100% comfortable with that. "You sir..come with us. We want to question you".....is Nazi war movie stuff and we don't have to simply roll over and go along if we do not see a good reason to do so.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I think some of you lead such boring little lives ....

I am sure the teacher in the Wired Article though he was living a boring little life ....

... might fall under suspicion because of the company you keep. In which case I'm okay with them rousting you.

there was a time, about 3 yrs ago, a bunch of us Heathens were breaking bread and drinking beer ever Friday night ...

including IIRC Gilligan's Boat :razz:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That is NOT what I said. Unless you can find a post to the contrary.

But there are a LOT of very good reasons to be very cautious in what you say or do when "cooperating" if you don't have solid idea of why you are being asked to do so and are 100% comfortable with that. "You sir..come with us. We want to question you".....is Nazi war movie stuff and we don't have to simply roll over and go along if we do not see a good reason to do so.

Are you kidding? While you all are excitedly hoping that some Nazi will roll in and detain you illegally so you can go, "See????", I will be thinking about that payday I'll get when I sue the city/county. You all just aren't practical; too emotional about stuff.

Unfortunately stuff like that doesn't happen all that often - you just think so because when it does it makes the news. Too bad because I could use that money for my travels.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Unfortunately stuff like that doesn't happen all that often - you just think so because when it does it makes the news.

And more often, it does NOT make the news but you know about it because it happened to someone you know. ;-)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He had his life ruined, put a price on that.

Actually, it was the media that did that, not the cops. All they did was question him; the news tards were the ones who blasted it all over and called him a "suspect" when the cops indicated no such thing.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

To quell any further debate, I will be happy to provide information, and answer any and all questions, freely and without reservation, to the police, when, and only when, they start to be totally forthcoming and answer any and all questions from the public regarding any of their actions. Instead of hiding behind that so called "blue line", just as we hide behind the our line, the 5th. When information becomes a two way street, ...

PsyOps

Pixelated
Gurps, I really hope your paranoia about crime technology and cops in general doesn't come back to bite you in the ass some day. It would annoy me to have something horrible happen to you or a loved one, and it be in poor taste to go "Ha ha, told you so."

Okay, I'm trying to interpret what this means. Are you saying you hope that all the things GURPS says in forums against government, that the government doesn't dredge up some sort of crap on him as being a threat to the government or the public in general. Are you saying we should fear what we say would be used against us by our government? Isn't this the very thing GURPS is 'paranoid' about?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Isn't this the very thing GURPS is 'paranoid' about?

I'm a cop hater don't ya know ..... because I think they should be accountable for gunning down puppies, and teens with Air Soft Guns .... etc

i'm paranoid because I think LE have no business access a private DNA directory on a fishing expedition
... when people are only submitting DNA to find family, or see what the % of Irish they are

I'm a cop hater because I think drug forfeiture laws are now being used to shake down citizens with no accountability

I could go on, but you get the idea

PsyOps

Pixelated
If I may ...Never ever trust the police if being questioned. Never leave your house with them to answer any questions. Never answer questions. Always invoke your right to remain silent, in a nice polite manner. I'd say, about 90% of the time, police are on a fishing expedition. Remember, anything you say can and will be used against you .... even without that Miranda warning.

If a crime has been committed and I have information that may help them solve that crime, I will answer whatever questions they ask me; as long as I feel the questions are pertinent to the crime. The only time Miranda is invoked is if you are being detailed and potentially charged with a crime. In this case you should have a sense for the 5th. Being asked questions as a witness... come on man, you wouldn't cooperate? What if it was a crime against one of your loved ones? Wouldn't you want me, as a witness, to provide info that could solve the crime?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If a crime has been committed and I have information that may help them solve that crime, I will answer whatever questions they ask me; as long as I feel the questions are pertinent to the crime.

in the case in the Wired Article, the police showed up on this guys door step ...

The three men who showed up at Michael Usry’s door last December were unfailingly polite. They told him they were cops investigating a hit-and-run that had occurred a few blocks away, near New Orleans City Park, and they invited Usry to accompany them to a police station so he could answer some questions. Certain that he hadn’t committed any crime, the 36-year-old filmmaker agreed to make the trip.

The situation got weird in the car. As they drove, the cops prodded Usry for details of a 1998 trip he’d taken to Rexburg, Idaho, where two of his sisters later attended college—a detail they’d gleaned by studying his Facebook page. “They were like, ‘We know high school kids do some crazy things—were you drinking? Did you meet anybody?’” Usry recalls. The grilling continued downtown until one of the three men—an FBI agent—told Usry he wanted to swab the inside of Usry’s cheek but wouldn’t explain his reason for doing so, though he emphasized that their warrant meant Usry could not refuse.​

after fishing in the Ancestry.com DNA database ....

this did not involve a family member or love one ...
the man had not been witness to a crime ....

so 1st off ... if police are investigating a Hit and Run near buy, ID / Badges please
we can answer questions right here on my door step, no you cannot come inside, no I am not going to the police station with you, you should have brought your materials with you.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
and I'll repeat myself for the hard of hearing types

..... if Law Enforcement types want a NATIONAL Data Base of DNA let CONGRESS pass such a law [if they can]

don't back door it with information provided to a 3RD PARTY for Personal Reasons .....

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm a cop hater don't ya know ..... because I think they should be accountable for gunning down puppies, and teens with Air Soft Guns .... etc

i'm paranoid because I think LE have no business access a private DNA directory on a fishing expedition
... when people are only submitting DNA to find family, or see what the % of Irish they are

I'm a cop hater because I think drug forfeiture laws are now being used to shake down citizens with no accountability

I could go on, but you get the idea

I think what people better get is that we (our society) have allowed a slow incremental drip of intrusion into our lives: more and more surveillance cameras, wiretapping, collection of internet activity and phone conversations, more gun registrations, no-knock intrusions into homes, etc… all in the name of ‘protecting’ us. Fine! Don’t be surprised when we elect people into power that will use this information against us. I have nothing to hide until I have to hide it from people that will use it against me.

Biden made a comment yesterday in his ‘I’m not running’ speech that conservatives aren't the enemy, they are the ‘opposition’. Now think about this… he’s speaking to the nation from the Whitehouse. Many within the democrat party believe conservatives ARE the enemy; not just to their party, but to the country. Conservatives have been called terrorists, arsonists, racists, anarchists, etc… These are terms used to describe an enemy. When you can establish a segment of the population as dangerous, and convince the people of this, the next question that comes is ‘what do we do about this dangerous enemy’?

Last edited: