sawdust cost per horse

smurfette

trying to figure what the cost is per horse/per month. I know everybody uses different amounts etc... but looking for different opinions.

I'm figuring about 130 for a load of about 13 cubic yards or so. Thats about $10 per cubic yard. I get 2 BIG wheelbarrows per cubic yard that might be enough for one week for one horse. That would be 4 cubic yards per month per horse.

That equals about $10 per cubic yard and $40 per horse per month. Seems kinda high. :howdy::shrug:Am I overcomplicating this? How would you guys figure it out? Thanks for your help.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
This is not an easy calculation as there are many contributing factors, flooring, the horse, loss (if any) from bulk storage.

Because of loss, I use bags, and depending on the horse, yes...it runs about 50 per month...some horses can push 100 if bedded heavy because they are stall pigs.

ladyhawk

I'm averaging about 30$ a month per horse.

Bagged sawdust
Dirt floors

June

Last edited:

XSalute

I am looking forward to working with these prices again! Currently I am dealing with $20/bale of Orchard Grass and $11 per bag of shavings. How much is OG going for these days in your neck of the woods? The price of boarding a horse in California is insane.

fredsaid2

Have you considered pellets? I'm averaging 1 bag per week per stall. $7.30 per bag, price lowers for bulk buys.

C

campinmutt

I pay alot more for 13 cubic yrds!! guess you do not get it from Hatchers

smurfette

I pay alot more for 13 cubic yrds!! guess you do not get it from Hatchers

oh boy are you right!! Just found out that it's now going for about $30 per cubic yard!!! I almost fell over. This is from a Hatcher employee. Supply is really down due to lots of mills going out of business from less construction in the past year. Seems like bagged shavings in bulk might be the most economical way to go. Especially if you factor in waste as someone did in an earlier post.

C

campinmutt

Hatchers sent out a letter saying they have to go up 20% from their already crazy high price.I had to raise my board just to cover the increase....and the sad part is it is a by product...trash...throw away ...yet it cost and arm and a leg..grrrr

XSalute

Has anyone used rice hulls? Some of the barns out here use rice hulls and pelleted. There is less waste and some say its healthier for the horses due to lower amounts of dust. You spread a bag or two of the pelleted down first then you put in the rice hulls over it. Its easier to pick out a stall so long as you do it twice a day and your horse doesn't normally rip up their stall. The waste is drastically reduced. The bagged rice hulls are cheaper than the bagged shavings out here. I just don't remember anyone in SMD using them when were there before. Just figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone has used them before.

For 15 cubic yards of bulk shavings out here... we pay approx. $690, sometimes more.

fredsaid2

Has anyone used rice hulls? Some of the barns out here use rice hulls and pelleted. There is less waste and some say its healthier for the horses due to lower amounts of dust. You spread a bag or two of the pelleted down first then you put in the rice hulls over it. Its easier to pick out a stall so long as you do it twice a day and your horse doesn't normally rip up their stall. The waste is drastically reduced. The bagged rice hulls are cheaper than the bagged shavings out here. I just don't remember anyone in SMD using them when were there before. Just figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone has used them before.

For 15 cubic yards of bulk shavings out here... we pay approx. $690, sometimes more.

I've only seen bagged shavings, sawdust or pellets offered locally. Are rice hulls absorbent or do they just provide cushioning and the pellets soak up the fluid?

XSalute

They aren't very absorbent which is a downside. But they are pillowy and the horses usually enjoy being on them. You notice difference when you walk on them, that is for sure! The pellets sort of act like a kitty litter for the wet stuff and it wicks it down away from the hulls. The manure lays right on top of the hulls, which is why there is less waste. One of our horses has allergies and his eyes stopped weeping when they moved to rice hulls. The barns that have moved to them here find that they are more economical than shavings. But that's here. I just figured I would throw it out since it was another option.

Another thing about hulls... being that its so warm and dry here most of the time, some places put the old rice hulls into their arenas and till it all up. I don't know if it really makes a difference though since I have not ridden on one of those arenas.

ladyhawk

ok, but what about bulk sawdust..... anyone figure out an averager per horse with that?

I used to do bulk sawdust before the mill in Prince Frederick closed. After that I tried a couple of places further out. Could not find delivery for a while and it was a pain to pick it, then unload it and storage was a problem..
One person I know who has had his delivered....
Hi-tail it on HG Truman by Dowell Elementary, his name is Jay...

I've since moved and have some problem with storage. The bags are a little more expensive, but it never gets wet, as long as its under cover and is more convenient for me...

I don't have to wheelbarrow the sawdust in the mud, rain, sleet, cold and snow! I just carry a bag when I need it, dump it and rake... DONE
LOL

June

ladyhawk

Have you considered pellets? I'm averaging 1 bag per week per stall. $7.30 per bag, price lowers for bulk buys.

I tried the pellets and would hose them down (I try to keep a deep base of about 4-6") Nice and fluffy, aromatic and ummm. (I truly do miss that smell!)

Over time, I realized how dusty they were.. The girl I share the barn with mixes them with what I use, doesn't hose them down and it seems to be less dusty and her stalls seem to be cleaner than mine.

June

XSalute

So you can't get bagged shavings delivered from the local tack/feed stores? I guess I just assumed that you could. The feed stores do deliver bagged feed and hay, right? Sorry for the off topic question, I always boarded when we were back there before.

fredsaid2

So you can't get bagged shavings delivered from the local tack/feed stores? I guess I just assumed that you could. The feed stores do deliver bagged feed and hay, right? Sorry for the off topic question, I always boarded when we were back there before.

The two local places most of us buy bagged bedding from are menonite owned, so no deliveries. I think the Blue Seal dealer will deliver if the order is large enough, don't know about Southern States. Everything else is self serve. : )

XSalute

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Is that Elam's brother? He's on 5, correct? Thanks so much for the info. I suppose my husband will be using my car to go to work and I will be driving his truck! LOL!

fredsaid2

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Is that Elam's brother? He's on 5, correct? Thanks so much for the info. I suppose my husband will be using my car to go to work and I will be driving his truck! LOL!

You come to the county, you become a truck girl! Yes, you're right. Elam owns Loveville Leather off Parsons Mill Rd, Joe owns Stauffer's Feed Mill on Rt. 5. There's a Tractor Supply now in White Plains just off Billingsly. I haven't shopped them for bedding but they're another option. How long ago were you here last?

XSalute

You come to the county, you become a truck girl! Yes, you're right. Elam owns Loveville Leather off Parsons Mill Rd, Joe owns Stauffer's Feed Mill on Rt. 5. There's a Tractor Supply now in White Plains just off Billingsly. I haven't shopped them for bedding but they're another option. How long ago were you here last?

I sure do appreciate the local gouge! Its been almost three years since we were back there. I ran the boarding facility we are currently at here in CA until a couple of months ago. We don't know for sure yet if we will be back this summer, but we are keeping our fingers crossed. I never used the forums on here before, but I am glad I am now.