Scammer alert!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I get one a day, every one calls me by name. "I've tried to deliver a FedEx package". Just got one a few minutes ago, "We've deposited money into your account."

And all started the day after I made an online order for Chinese takeout at a local place.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I get a lot of calls from numbers I don't know, but 99% of them already have been reported before, so I just block them. Now they are turning towards text messages. I did get one yesterday about needing 5 woman to make $499 a day. :blahblah: I blocked the number and deleted the message, but I do remember thinking it was strange they used my first name, as this one today did. I am sure there will be more. :ohwell:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I block them too, but it's fruitless, because they use a different number every time. Also, when you delete the message, make sure Read/Reply hasn't been used. Deleting it is as good as reading it, and a read reply is sent to the originator. On my Android, I get a pop-up that allows me to suppress the read reply.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I block them too, but it's fruitless, because they use a different number every time. Also, when you delete the message, make sure Read/Reply hasn't been used. Deleting it is as good as reading it, and a read reply is sent to the originator. On my Android, I get a pop-up that allows me to suppress the read reply.
I just got another one and it asked for a read receipt. Nope, not today, Satan. Blocked the number and deleted. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Speaking of spam - I got an email from Amazon that said " We lock your account and hold all your last orders. We took this action, because the billing information you provided did not match the information in the card issuer file.

Then I got one from PayPal "
Wgne belgnieve tgnhat an ungnaugnthgnorignzed pgnargnty may hagnve acgncegnssed your acgncount, to pgnrotgnect your acgncgnougnnt we have tegnmpgnorargnily rgnesgntrigncted acgncegnss to yognur acgncgnount and yognur lisgntignngs have begnen degnactgnivagnted, wgne hagnve also removed any bgnagnnk acgncougnnt and crgnedgnit cagnrd infognrmatgnion.

That's weird I cut and pasted their statement - wonder why it came out that way? Anyway they basically said the same thing as Amazon.

I think there's something fishy but I'm not sure what I should do or if I have to notify anyone.
Is that Nigerien?

mitzi

Speaking of spam - I got an email from Amazon that said " We lock your account and hold all your last orders. We took this action, because the billing information you provided did not match the information in the card issuer file.

Then I got one from PayPal "
Wgne belgnieve tgnhat an ungnaugnthgnorignzed pgnargnty may hagnve acgncegnssed your acgncount, to pgnrotgnect your acgncgnougnnt we have tegnmpgnorargnily rgnesgntrigncted acgncegnss to yognur acgncgnount and yognur lisgntignngs have begnen degnactgnivagnted, wgne hagnve also removed any bgnagnnk acgncougnnt and crgnedgnit cagnrd infognrmatgnion.

That's weird I cut and pasted their statement - wonder why it came out that way? Anyway they basically said the same thing as Amazon.

I think there's something fishy but I'm not sure what I should do or if I have to notify anyone.

I get those too. Last night in my Spam folder was an email for the FBI notifying me I had money in Nigeria. I usually don't pay attention to these things. For some reason, this week I have.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
LOS ANGELES - Law enforcement officials are warning about a new "package pending" text message scam that aims to steal your information and identity.

The texts contain the recipient's name and directs the individual to click on a potentially dangerous link.

The Orange County Sheriff's Department posted on Facebook warning residents of the new phishing scam, aka “smishing” where cybercriminals send SMS messages to get you to click a malicious link or provide personal data.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/deputies-warn-of-package-pending-text-scam-containing-recipients-name-potentially-dangerous-link

And yes, I got another one today. :burning:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I get at least one a day, but they are always the same 4 or 5 messages: blue pills, undelivered package, a FedEx delivery, $2614 has been deposited to your account... and all use my real name.

If they know about it, why can't the carriers filter it?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I get at least one a day, but they are always the same 4 or 5 messages: blue pills, undelivered package, a FedEx delivery, $2614 has been deposited to your account... and all use my real name.

I've received hundreds over the last year or so that not only use my real name..they refer to having discovered my password. The one in question actually WAS an old password that I'd used probably two decades ago for my CompuServe account. So obviously, old data gets hacked too.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

Probably going to jinx this, but it seems the messages have been filtered. I haven't gotten a text spam in weeks now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I get boatloads of email spam but nothing on my cellphone - no scam calls or texts. If I knew what I was doing right I'd share it.

DaSDGuy

Again, I block all spam calls and messages on my android phone. Really simple - set Do Not Disturb to On, then allow exceptions for numbers in your phone contacts list. I only get calls/texts from people in my list.

Do I miss some I would like? Maybe. But I receive ZERO spams now.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Just received this scammer alert from the MDoT.

Grumpy

Got that scam this afternoon, deleted it immediately. Figured if there was something to it, I would notified by mail sometime in the next year or 2.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I got the notice also, but not the scam text. I know better than to click links like that but many don't. Glad for the heads up from them!

Grumpy

a text about selling my property on Wood yard Road. 😂

Funny, I've been getting calls about selling my timeshare in Florida for the last month. My father had one(same name) but he died 6 years ago and I don't have a timeshare. I tell them that...and one lady(asian) came back at me and asked if I was interested in selling...duh.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Funny, I've been getting calls about selling my timeshare in Florida for the last month. My father had one(same name) but he died 6 years ago and I don't have a timeshare. I tell them that...and one lady(asian) came back at me and asked if I was interested in selling...duh.
I've received it several times. I don't own property in PGCo.

Grumpy

:lmao: Received 4 calls in the last 2 days about selling my timeshare. I've given up, I just tell them to send me $10k and its theirs and then hang up.