Scanners

itsrequired

my granny only got her gun in time because she heard ON THE SCANNER that the police were chasing a guy through her alley.

And no one was notified when the helos were flying, i get calls from the county, i didn't get one then.

NEXT

If you hear helo's flying and you have a concern, (301) 475-8008. If it is something you have a right to know, they will tell you. If not, they will not.

Next.

Midnightrider

If you hear helo's flying and you have a concern, (301) 475-8008. If it is something you have a right to know, they will tell you. If not, they will not.

Next.

thats retarded, and not even the right county

So its your opinion that the public does not have the right to know that the police are chasing home invaders through their neighborhood?

NEXT

thats retarded, and not even the right county

So its your opinion that the public does not have the right to know that the police are chasing home invaders through their neighborhood?

NEXT

If you hear helos it would be best to be on alert. They might be looking for a lost person or an escaped armed felon. Assume worst case. Easy.

itsrequired

:killingme

you have been arguing against the public having that ability.

No I have not. I have given you different options to find out about what is going on in your community. Are you telling me dear ole granny is capable of programing a scanner, handling a gun, but not capable of figuring out her local law enforcement office telephone number?

If that is true, I see where you get your smarts from.

Midnightrider

No I have not. I have given you different options to find out about what is going on in your community. Are you telling me dear ole granny is capable of programing a scanner, handling a gun, but not capable of figuring out her local law enforcement office telephone number?

If that is true, I see where you get your smarts from.

yes you have. in your world it is up to some guy answering the phone at the police station what inforation i get.

BTW, granny would have had no idea she needed to call if she hadn't heard it on the scanner. if she had gone for the phone instead of the gun it may have been too late.

itsrequired

yes you have. in your world it is up to some guy answering the phone at the police station what inforation i get.

BTW, granny would have had no idea she needed to call if she hadn't heard it on the scanner. if she had gone for the phone instead of the gun it may have been too late.

So now she didn't hear the helecopters?

You need to go back to grammar school.

itsrequired

So is it your assertion that granny only protects her home when she hears that the police are chasing someone? If that is the case, I think someone is going to break into granny's house and steal her gun. Maybe you all should revisit how granny handles home security.

itsrequired

:eyebrow:

Helicopters fly around all the time. Especially for those who live near a base. Should they call in everytime they hear a chopper?

Anytime you have concerns about what is happening in your neighborhood you should call. A chopper flying and a chopper hovering are two distinctly different things.

Chris0nllyn

Anytime you have concerns about what is happening in your neighborhood you should call. A chopper flying and a chopper hovering are two distinctly different things.

Or, a citizen could be able to listen to the scanner and figure out what is going on without tying up the station's phone lines.

Chris0nllyn

I understand the officer safety aspect of it, I really do, but IMO, the bottom line is this:

We pay the police, and the devices they use. We should be able to listen in on them. I can see giving them a private channel for broadcasting private info during a raid, or like the Boston Marathon incident. But not as in, "We don't have to be held accountable for what we say on this channel", private.

Also, journalists use scanners to be on the scene first. Unfortunately, we are seeing ever-increasing mindless repetition of tweets and other social media blips regurgitated without verification. Hence, a decline in actual journalism, and the puplic's growing distrust in mainstream media.

Let's say you want a law, or mandate that says citizens can't listen in. What happens if they break that law/mandate? Will you get arrested, fined, cops come to your door? Now, let's say the citizens DO stop using the scanners and resort to using Twitter or Facebook. then what? The whole idea and premis behind creating the law to begin with is because information was being released to the public that jeopardizes officer safety and tactial operations, and if someone does that by listening the the scanner, they can possibly get a visit from the local pokies, but what happens when they use twitter? Are police going to show up at your door for a tweet? And please, before you go off on some tangent about how stupid this sounds, realize this is a hypothetical situation, though not so far-fetched.

Maybe you want to advoctae for this law/mandate in the wake of terrorist attacks? In the end we lose more rights over a false sense of security. As if the Patriot Act didn't go far enough.

Some people may think that getting secured lines of radio communication is easy these days with all the advances in technology but its not as easy as you think. Besides the cost of the equipment and the personnel that would be needed to run, monitor and service secured nets for tens of thousands of LE departments there is a very real problem of losing secured radios, leaking the encryption keys, leaking the fills etc. In the military your career turns into a flaming pile of dog crap if you ever lose a sensitive item such as a radio, a fill or encryption keys. Its a very legitimate national security concern. These are all controlled devices. We still have guys that lose this stuff on the battlefield. Now blow this up to a much larger scale to LE agencies and PD's all over the country. Bad idea. They can stick to what they have. The ones that need secured nets like SWAT, SRT, HRT, DEA etc all ready have them. The normal cop patrolling a neighbor hood does not.

Last edited:

itsrequired

Or, a citizen could be able to listen to the scanner and figure out what is going on without tying up the station's phone lines.

Ithink the importance of apprehending criminals is more important than the citizen’s ability to listen to scanner.

It is not a right to hear everything the police are doing. Law enforcement has to weigh the positive and negatives of having real time open communications. We have done that and found that it is safer and more efficient to have calls for service kept secure. This works to the benefit of our community because if we apprehend criminals who previously had the opportunity to get away because of a scanner, then that is one crime solved for a citizen who is a victim.

It should also be noted, that this is done in order to protect those victims of crimes from being identified. There are sexual assaults and other investigations where victim information should be protected.

All of the information is still available, just not in real time.