Schiff’s Push For Impeachment Gets ‘Disappointing’ ‘Setback’ After New Testimony

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Following Volker’s testimony to lawmakers, Fox News reported on newly obtained text messages from U.S. officials about the situation involving Trump and Ukraine:

Meanwhile, new encrypted text messages obtained by Fox News show Volker and other U.S. officials battling internally last month over whether Trump was engaged in a “quid pro quo” with Ukraine as he pressed for the country to look into the Biden family, while holding back U.S. aid. The texts with Volker, U.S. Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland and Chargé d’Affaires of the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine Bill Taylor indicate that the nature of a potential arrangement between the U.S. and Ukraine was a matter of dispute.

“As I said on the phone, I think it’s crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign,” Taylor said in a text exchange.
Sondland responded by saying that was not what was happening. “Bill, I believe you are incorrect about President Trump’s intentions. The President has been crystal clear: no quid pro quo’s of any kind. The President is trying to evaluate whether Ukraine is truly going to adopt the transparency and reforms that President Zelensky promised during his campaign.”
President Donald Trump has taken aim at Schiff over the last few days over Schiff’s antics. The congressman’s antics have been widely condemned.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/schi...ets-disappointing-setback-after-new-testimony

Midnightrider

Following Volker’s testimony to lawmakers, Fox News reported on newly obtained text messages from U.S. officials about the situation involving Trump and Ukraine:

President Donald Trump has taken aim at Schiff over the last few days over Schiff’s antics. The congressman’s antics have been widely condemned.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/schi...ets-disappointing-setback-after-new-testimony
How does the charge de affairs saying
“As I said on the phone, I think it’s crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign,”
Make this any better for trump? The guy Who is acting as the Ukraine ambassador says trump is holding funds for political gain. That’s pretty damning

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Let's update this thread:

Volker testified October 3 for nearly 10 hours behind closed doors after resigning his unpaid post as the State Department’s special envoy to Ukraine. Democratic lawmakers leaked portions of his testimony and text messages to paint a misleading narrative that he had confirmed an alleged quid pro quo of military aid for investigation of Ukrainian corruption.

Instead, Volker told lawmakers under oath that he was never asked to do anything wrong by any member of the administration, including President Trump. He further described the relationship with Ukraine as extremely positive and as good as anyone could hope for given the tumult in the region.

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It was at this point that Schiff reportedly began to press Volker. According to the Examiner, Schiff and Volker engaged in the following back and forth dialogue:

[Schiff] asked Volker whether he would agree that “no President of the United States should ever ask a foreign leader to help intervene in a U.S. election.”
“I agree with that,” said Volker.
“And that would be particularly egregious if it was done in the context of withholding foreign assistance?” Schiff continued.
Volker balked. “We’re getting now into, you know, a conflation of these things that I didn’t think was actually there.”
Schiff wanted Volker to agree that “if it’s inappropriate for a president to seek foreign help in a U.S. election, it would be doubly so if a president was doing that at a time when the United States was withholding military support from the country.”
Again, Volker did not agree. “I can’t really speak to that,” he said. “My understanding of the security assistance issue is — ”
Schiff interrupted. “Why can’t you speak to that, ambassador? You’re a career diplomat. You can understand the enormous leverage that a president would have while withholding military support from an ally at war with Russia. You can understand just how significant that would be, correct?”
Volker tried to go along without actually agreeing. “I can understand that that would be significant,” he said.
Schiff persisted. “And when that suspension of aid became known to that country, to Ukraine, it would be all the more weighty to consider what the president had asked of them, wouldn’t it?”
“So again, congressman, I don’t believe — ” Volker began.
“It’s a pretty straightforward question,” Schiff said.
“But I don’t believe the Ukrainians were aware that the assistance was being held up — ”
“They became aware of it,” Schiff said.
“They became aware later, but I don’t believe they were aware at the time, so there was no leverage implied,” Volker said.