School buses causing accidents?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Ever wondered why we are so fanatic about school bus safety in this country:
https://youtu.be/HnCU20Cu0fs

No comparison. Our buses are big honkin yellow with huge circular red flashing lights when stopping to pickup or dropping off kids. In addition, children must always cross from the front of the bus and never from the rear. Besides, the bus was pulling off when the kid idiots decided to cross the lanes. If they would have become roadkill, it would have been their fault, not the bus drivers. Do you have a better example? From this country?

officeguy

If I may ...

No comparison. Our buses are big honkin yellow with huge circular red flashing lights when stopping to pickup or dropping off kids. In addition, children must always cross from the front of the bus and never from the rear. Besides, the bus was pulling off when the kid idiots decided to cross the lanes. If they would have become roadkill, it would have been their fault, not the bus drivers. Do you have a better example? From this country?

Where to begin ?

This was an example to illustrate WHY we have those tight rules on school bus operation and the requirement for oncoming traffic to stop until the driver has ensured that all kids have crossed. Kids are brainless the world over and without the truckers quick reaction, those kids would have gotten creamed.

officeguy

Simply need to change a law. - My experience with case law, there is a matter of "interpretation".

This is not case-law or a question of interpretation.

The Maryland transportation article specifically allows for a white flashing light on school buses.

§ 22-228 - Special equipment on school vehicles

(a) (3) A school vehicle may be equipped with a white flashing light installed on the roof of the vehicle.

(btw. public transit buses are also allowed to display a white strobe, but that's a separate section)

3CATSAILOR

We all should be grateful for cops, or there would be more chaos than there is now. They put their lives on the line, every day. As far as the school bus topic of this thread; when you see one, just be prepared to stop, and don’t look at the strobe. That is easy.

The whining of it all is ridiculous, and getting on my nerves! Stop! Get a grip! Be Americans, or something like that.

Please note that even WITHOUT looking at it, it is still blinding!

BernieP

Resident PIA
We all should be grateful for cops, or there would be more chaos than there is now. They put their lives on the line, every day. As far as the school bus topic of this thread; when you see one, just be prepared to stop, and don’t look at the strobe. That is easy.

The whining of it all is ridiculous, and getting on my nerves! Stop! Get a grip! Be Americans, or something like that.

Are you grateful for me? I think I have an important job too.

Let me explain this to you, complaining is a natural act. When people stop bitching and go quiet, you should worry, because then they are hatching plots in secret.

You sound like a person that follows orders to a T, In fact I wager you don't think if someone in authority were to tell you to squat, #### and bark like a dog.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Are you grateful for me? I think I have an important job too.

Let me explain this to you, complaining is a natural act. When people stop bitching and go quiet, you should worry, because then they are hatching plots in secret.

You sound like a person that follows orders to a T, In fact I wager you don't think if someone in authority were to tell you to squat, #### and bark like a dog.

That would be a ‘no’, but you go on with your bad self, Bernie! :smile:

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
You should see an eye doctor. Just followed a bus and barely noticed the strobe.

Bus pulled over between stops to let traffic pass to boot.

Concur, and I'm quite often looking at them through my motorcycle visor or simply through my eyeglasses if I have the visor up.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They certainly seem to have a different set of rules for the road.
I watched a flock of buses exit Millstone Landing Roads the other morning.
1 - at least three of the buses in the flock of yellow ran the red light. It wasn't just red, the light on the opposing side had turned green
2 - they didn't head south on 235 single file, they roads side by side south bound on 235