School Calendar for 2020-2021

SamSpade

So is there any word on when school may actually START? Prior to COVID, they were talking about moving it before Labor Day (again).

I have no idea when school is supposed to start, virtual or not.

GregV814

At least they haven’t In Calvert. There are options being floated like, high schoolers learning on line only, middle schoolers being split between their schools and high schools to lessen class size, same splitting with elementary kids in a half week shift thing...
Or, one day in class, four at home, or one week in, one at home....
They better make up their minds quickly.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
At least they haven’t In Calvert. There are options being floated like, high schoolers learning on line only, middle schoolers being split between their schools and high schools to lessen class size, same splitting with elementary kids in a half week shift thing...
Or, one day in class, four at home, or one week in, one at home....
They better make up their minds quickly.
:yeahthat: I am really hoping for more in school learning if not 100% in school learning. My son was completely unmotivated to do online work in several classes.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Nothing set in stone yet other than the August 31 (?) start date. My LW and I were just discussing this with some folks this past weekend. The teachers do not even know how the school year and their classrooms will operate next year. We find out on 6/30 how my oldest boy's school in PA will handle their re opening and move in. The have already moved the start date up one week and the fall semester will run straight through to Thanksgiving then it's home for winter break and return after Jan 2021.

GregV814

But the complete smart azz in me,
  1. why bother with education (intended purpose by politically motivated, antifa dem people)
  2. hey everybody gets a trophy!! Why not get a diploma at 16, 12...
  3. you don’t wanna know

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I can only imagine the headache of having kids still in school during this shitstorm. For the sake of y'all that still have school aged kids, I hope they figure this crap out soon so you can plan accordingly.

3CATSAILOR

Starting school back at the end of August is playing with fire and they know it. You can't assume all the kids are going to wear masks whether disciplined or not. I was talking to a friend that asked have you been watching how people wear the masks in a public setting? I said no, why? He said if you look at them, more than half of adults don't wear masks in public settings properly. A lot wear them cover only the mouth or on the tip of the nose. Thus allowing the virus to be easily breathed in through the nose.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Unfortunately this isn't for everyone and IMHO has been a problem with schools in general not everyone learns the same
I would say the majority of parents think the current methods work just fine, as long as their spawn isn't affected
It's predicated on a normal distribution of learning types (which frequently are ignore), learning disabilities and aptitude.
the three groups that fall outside the standard deviation are simply ignored. There is a lack of knowledge by the public because these are not the majority of students. It's interesting the people think everyone must conform. But if they went back a few decades and sent their children to parochial school, they might not feel the same. Raise your right hand if you or your child is left handed, not realize at one time the "sisters" would force all students to write with their right hand - you must conform, no deviation.
Learning is much the same way.
I struggled my freshman year with "lecture" and recitation schedules. That's where you get a pompous professor at 8AM who gives a rather dull "lecture" to you and 400 of your closest friends. No questions, good luck actually being able to read the boards. Hopefully you get someone who speaks clear English. On the alternate days or is that daze, you go to a classroom with only 39 other students where a disinterested grad student is going to "help" explain what you stupid freshmen didn't understand.
Which goes to explain why you barely got a C in Physics II and an A in A-Bomb or Nuclear Physics.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I would say the majority of parents think the current methods work just fine, as long as their spawn isn't affected
It's predicated on a normal distribution of learning types (which frequently are ignore), learning disabilities and aptitude.
the three groups that fall outside the standard deviation are simply ignored. There is a lack of knowledge by the public because these are not the majority of students. It's interesting the people think everyone must conform. But if they went back a few decades and sent their children to parochial school, they might not feel the same. Raise your right hand if you or your child is left handed, not realize at one time the "sisters" would force all students to write with their right hand - you must conform, no deviation.
Learning is much the same way.
I struggled my freshman year with "lecture" and recitation schedules. That's where you get a pompous professor at 8AM who gives a rather dull "lecture" to you and 400 of your closest friends. No questions, good luck actually being able to read the boards. Hopefully you get someone who speaks clear English. On the alternate days or is that daze, you go to a classroom with only 39 other students where a disinterested grad student is going to "help" explain what you stupid freshmen didn't understand.
Which goes to explain why you barely got a C in Physics II and an A in A-Bomb or Nuclear Physics.
I am a Lefty and my sixth grade teacher tied my left hand to my chair and told me to start writing with my right hand. I said, Nope! and just sat there. Came home and told Mom what happened. She called the school and surprisingly :sarcasm: , I could write with my left hand the next day.

BernieP

Resident PIA
And, quite honestly, based on my 30+ years teaching, it's because they're the ones who refuse to follow the simplest rules (like be on time, have something to write with, put away that ****ing phone, etc.).
I'm not sure it's race, but another demographic. You see that attitude outside of school as well, on the job (if they can keep one) and just out on the street.
How many people get pulled over, repeatedly and then get cited for driving without a license, repeatedly.
How many pedestrians need to be injured or killed before they stop walking in the roadway, at night, wearing dark colored clothing.
Or riding bicycles, minibikes, off road bikes, etc. on the roads, without lights at night.
They do what they feel like doing until someone slaps their hand and then they cry like a baby.
Then they find mama to stand up and tell us what a good child he was.
He provided for his babies by his six baby mamas by doing what he had to do, selling drugs, robbery, car jacking.

awpitt

Main Streeter
So is there any word on when school may actually START? Prior to COVID, they were talking about moving it before Labor Day (again).

I have no idea when school is supposed to start, virtual or not.

I guess all you can do is watch out for any call-outs from your kids' school. Before all this started, August 31st was supposed to be the first day for students.

I'm guessing that updates will be posted here....
https://www.smcps.org/strategic-planning/recovery-plan

CRHS89

I think in the "town hall" last week the superintendent said that local school systems have to have a plan in place by August 13/14...I don't remember which date.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I am curious how HS class selections will go. Normally students get a sheet from their counselor/teachers on what classes they need to sign up for next as well as what electives they want to take. I wonder if it will get done, mailed to students to approve/finalize, and then we have to mail back.

My son is in ROTC and I wonder if BLT will happened. Doesn't appear it will happen, at least not the usual way. My son looks forward to going.