Schools - yet?

SamSpade

Any inkling? It's a month and a half away, and I have no clue. My son with severe cognitive disabilities will be entering high school. No idea yet.

I have friends who are teachers - and they're not terribly interested in going back to school as usual. I want to post on their Facebook pages that many European nations have more or less returned to school without any serious problems. Mostly. There's mounds of data to establish that children are in so little danger from this virus, it almost cannot be measured in terms of likelihood. Ditto being spreaders of the virus. Ditto danger to teachers as long as they are not ALREADY vulnerable or compromised.

I don't, of course, argue with them on Facebook. I actually try never to argue on Facebook, as I think it's pointless.

So - I'm in favor of - in some fashion or another - reopening schools. We simply cannot live in a world where we hope to never see C19 emerge, like EVER. It will. With all of the precautions, it WILL. But the likelihood is slim.

I also have other reasons - my kids aren't learning at home. Oh, they're doing the work. But they might as well NOT be. The last quarter of last year was a punt. Show up, click some stuff, get credit. If that was learning, I have several PhD's. They need school and I can't homeschool them. And even if I could, they need other children.

To me, you can argue both sides, but nothing speaks like experience and success. Other nations are doing it and have DONE it. Successfully.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Tomorrow afternoon is a virtual townhall with SMCPS. The LW is a teacher and the rank and file has no idea of what is going on in re: schools, I do know that a large number of retirements are taking place within the school system this summer. She is not thrilled with the idea of going back to school due to the fact that she teaches a primary grade and feels that the majority of her time will be spent babysitting these kids and their mask practices.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Tomorrow afternoon is a virtual townhall with SMCPS. The LW is a teacher and the rank and file has no idea of what is going on in re: schools, I do know that a large number of retirements are taking place within the school system this summer. She is not thrilled with the idea of going back to school due to the fact that she teaches a primary grade and feels that the majority of her time will be spent babysitting these kids and their mask practices.
Likke this?

SamSpade

Likke this?

I have read several articles saying just that - it will be POINTLESS to require elementary age students to wear them - they won't.
Or they will lose them. Play with them. Put them on and off. If they use them at all, they will use them in a fashion that will render them useless.

But - they are also of the age where their chances of getting the virus are so small, it almost can't be measured. K-5 infections are close to zero nationwide. Kids who get it at all are usually kids with co-morbidities. But otherwise - a small fraction of a percent. Almost zero. Masks have a good chance of actually making it WORSE.

SamSpade

Everything I've read says, don't bother requiring K-5 kids to wear masks. It won't work, and they're in no danger.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have read several articles saying just that - it will be POINTLESS to require elementary age students to wear them - they won't.
Or they will lose them. Play with them. Put them on and off. If they use them at all, they will use them in a fashion that will render them useless.

that and You ARE Supposed to wash your hands or use Hand Sanitizer as soon as you get down touching the damn thing .... which happens multiple times a min ........ times a bunch of school children

SamSpade

that and You ARE Supposed to wash your hands or use Hand Sanitizer as soon as you get down touching the damn thing .... which happens multiple times a min ........ times a bunch of school children

Yeah, well - I have an 11 year old who still won't wash her hands unless I tell her to - which ticks me off if she comes up and wants to show affection after she's eaten something.

Which is why my opinion is - don't bother with younger children. They are VERY safe anyway. And stats show almost no signiificant uptick in infection rate amongst teachers and others with regard to infection rate.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
From what I understand is the Calvert Co is also having a Town Hall meeting and will propose parents choosing two options. 1 is 100% online school and 2 is in school 2 days a week and 3 days online. For those going to school, one group will go Mon and Wed and the other group will go Tues and Thurs. I like that parents will get to choose because I will choose in school over 100% online.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Ok, I am not pro union or a bleeding heart for any cause. But I do have a bit of sympathy for elementary school teachers, particularly with K-3.
By 4th grade you would hope they have some sense of hygiene.
3rd and below I classify is petri dishes for every virus and bacterial infection that comes along.,
Mask, hell they wipe their nose with their hands and the lend their pencil to their neighbor who sticks it in their mouth.
We have been told to stay out of the office if we have allergies, you will have parents send their sprouts to school with a low grade fever and a runny nose so they don't have to take a day off and deal with them.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Calvert Co...
Screenshot_20200714-124730_SchoolMsgr.jpg

Sounds like some online and some in school???

BernieP

Resident PIA
Personally I don't think the SMCPS has the resource or the commitment to support distance learning (online) and classroom.
I don't think they can properly support the on-line learning. Given their strict political correctness, how can they leave one person behind (that person who does not have the resources to access online learning.
The have always pushed back on accommodations for learning disabilities. Can't image they can factor this in as well.

I also suspect the "resistance" from the unions to going back to work has as much to do if not more with politics than health or education.

TPD

the poor dad
Just now on Martha Macallum - 30 kids under 15yo have died from the Chinese virus but this many from other things...

Crabcatcher79

Yeah, well - I have an 11 year old who still won't wash her hands unless I tell her to - which ticks me off if she comes up and wants to show affection after she's eaten something.

Which is why my opinion is - don't bother with younger children. They are VERY safe anyway. And stats show almost no signiificant uptick in infection rate amongst teachers and others with regard to infection rate.

Crabcatcher79

Other countries have been able to return to normal because they have done a better job of containing the virus, keeping the ill quarantined and keeping cases low.

Our cases are still rising faster than any other country in the world.

Many people are reporting , blood clots and long term lung damage after recovery even with relatively minor cases. Even if children aren’t getting it at the same rate as adults they can still bring it home or spread it to other adults.

We are no where near contain in this thing or having herd immunity or a vaccine. Asking teachers to risk their lives when we already know cases will spike in the fall is insane. Look at Israel or the camps that spread infections like wildfire between groups that’s were not supposed to be susceptible.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Our cases are still rising faster than any other country in the world.

How Many Are Showing Symptoms, Requiring Hospitalization, or DYING
You keep :cds: about numbers infected, Covid-19 is NO MORE FATAL Then Other Types of Flu

we know you want to keep the country cowering in fear and isolated in hopes of Creepy Uncle Joe getting elected

Crabcatcher79

How Many Are Showing Symptoms, Requiring Hospitalization, or DYING
You keep :cds: about numbers infected, Covid-19 is NO MORE FATAL Then Other Types of Flu

we know you want to keep the country cowering in fear and isolated in hopes of Creepy Uncle Joe getting elected

So what? We know how to contain and should. 135,000 should not be dead because you can’t wear a piece of cloth over your face.

Jurgo

Texas California Florida and Arizona numbers (for hospitalizations as well as spread) are pretty bad. Hope this helps.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So what? We know how to contain and should. 135,000 should not be dead because you can’t wear a piece of cloth over your face.

How Many Are Showing Symptoms, Requiring Hospitalization, or DYING ?