schoolz

dum_blonde

Hey, are they canceling public schools anywhere yet? My friend at St. Mary's College said they were canceling class from 4 PM Wednesday until Sunday because of the hurricane, and it's been my experience that colleges are usually the last ones to cancel classes...

Not that NYU will ever cancel any class. Ever.

TWLs wife

Originally posted by dum_blonde
Hey, are they canceling public schools anywhere yet? My friend at St. Mary's College said they were canceling class from 4 PM Wednesday until Sunday because of the hurricane, and it's been my experience that colleges are usually the last ones to cancel classes...

It will be flooded around there that's way. ( says my boyfriend). So get your friend to be careful.
Tigger6035:bonk:

K

Kain99

Kids came home saying BOE will make a decision by Thursday morning. :rolleyes:

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by Kain99
Brilliant. That's about what my firm will do, too, unless OPM decides something before the fabulous legal minds (read: money-grubbing minds) decide that their staff should be allowed to stay home with pay lest they all perish in the million-car pileups of poor saps required to get to work no matter what.

TWLs wife

Originally posted by Bertha Venation
Brilliant. That's about what my firm will do, too, unless OPM decides something before the fabulous legal minds (read: money-grubbing minds) decide that their staff should be allowed to stay home with pay lest they all perish in the million-car pileups of poor saps required to get to work no matter what.
True. I'm worried about the kids.:bawl:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The middle and high schools are the evacuation shelters for the area so what better place to have the kids.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by Kain99

What's wrong with that? The storm's not supposed to get here until Thursday and every time I check the "projected movement" they have it hitting land further and further south and being further inland by the time it gets to us. The further south it hits, the weaker the storm will be when it gets here. I'm not saying we aren't going to get slammed, but why tell everyone the kids have off on Thursday, if it turns out it doesn't even start raining until late on Thursday?

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Ken King
The middle and high schools are the evacuation shelters for the area so what better place to have the kids.
That's exactly what my daughter has been saying. " I'd rather be at school. "

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by Ken King

In St. Mary's it's only the 3 major highschools.

Vince

They're calling for it to hit in the Carolina's now, at least the major portion of it. By the time it gets here the winds will be down to around 70 mph. Not too bad, but it can still do damage.

SeaRide

Originally posted by dum_blonde

I don't know where you are at. St. Mary's College is situated right by the St. Marys river. I can only imagine what could happen when the St Marys river swells up.

K

Kain99

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 14:26 by zthomas:

St. Mary's County Public School officials are in close contact with County emergency management officials and are continuously monitoring the approach of the storm. School officials will make a decision on Thursday's school status no later than noon on Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2003. However, all field trips to the Elms Environmental Center have been cancelled for Wednesday, Sept. 17, and Thursday, Sept. 18, 2003.

Parents and guardians are advised to make childcare arrangements for Thursday in the event that schools are closed. Please listen to local radio stations, watch Washington Metropolitan area TV news stations, and visit this Web site for any changes in the school system status. Please remember that severe power outages could prevent the school system from updating the Web site.

Parents are reminded that Friday, Sept. 19, 2003, is a regularly scheduled day off for students. This time is built into the school calendar for staff development and professional responsibilities.