Schumer refers to developmentally disabled children as 'retarded'

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Schumer used the outdated term during a segment regarding congressional efforts to combat homelessness

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-NY, apologized on Monday after he used the word "retarded" in reference to developmentally disabled children during a podcast interview.

"When I first was an assemblyman, they wanted to build a congregate living place for retarded children," Schumer said. "The whole neighborhood was against it. These are homeless kids, they just needed some help. We got it done, it took a while."

Chuck should be ashamed of himself. :nono:

The only legitimate use of the word "retarded" is when used in conjunction with describing Democrats.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
While I admit that the term is somewhat crass in this day and age of uber-sensitive people it's original meaning was not intended as a slur, but a term that was parsimonious in its accuracy. That was clearly how Schumer meant it. But, "Their rules."

Enjoy the ratio, Chuck.

--- End of line (MCP)

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
While I admit that the term is somewhat crass in this day and age of uber-sensitive people it's original meaning was not intended as a slur, but a term that was parsimonious in its accuracy. That was clearly how Schumer meant it. But, "Their rules."

Enjoy the ratio, Chuck.

--- End of line (MCP)

Right. Chuck Shumer is a Tard because his party is the one who demands all the virtue signaling and politically correct language and diversity, etc., etc. and yet, he goes and uses terms like this and gets a pass. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BOP

Grumpy

It's so funny that folks that grew up in the 50s, 60s and 70s at various times were called retards, ******s, sluts, etc...and they would just laugh and laugh. But remember, the kids of the 50s,60s and 70s folks can't take it...why is that?

WingsOfGold

Schumer used the outdated term during a segment regarding congressional efforts to combat homelessness

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-NY, apologized on Monday after he used the word "retarded" in reference to developmentally disabled children during a podcast interview.

"When I first was an assemblyman, they wanted to build a congregate living place for retarded children," Schumer said. "The whole neighborhood was against it. These are homeless kids, they just needed some help. We got it done, it took a while."

Chuck should be ashamed of himself. :nono:

The only legitimate use of the word "retarded" is when used in conjunction with describing Democrats.
So calling coloreds Ni99er is acceptable to he that married an ugly man?

chuck-schumer-wife.jpg

SamSpade

Normally - I'd give a pass to someone older, from another generation, who basically doesn't know better.
Or - possibly, like most urban liberals, lived in a shell for so long, he just doesn't know anything about it, but doesn't refrain from pontificating on it.

But then I check and realize - he's only ten years older than me. He SHOULD know better.

And again, SOMETIMES I use the word to describe my son, because while he is severely disabled, he doesn't present it that way at first, like many developmentally disabled kids - I take him to Special Olympics all the time, and I know many of his team mates. Unless they are Down's Syndrome, you would NOT KNOW until you listen to them talk - and even THEN you might get it wrong, because some of them while disabled are actually very intelligent in very specific areas.

So I use it as shorthand. I mean no disrespect to the ones I deeply care about.

ON THE OTHER HAND --

He, and his entire party, would NOT HESITATE to totally rip apart ANY Republican who managed to say it.

So - yeah, no pass at all from me. Live by the sword, die by the sword. The measure you give will be the measure by which you are judged.

Hijinx

Puts a whole new meaning to the ugly stick, I've gone ugly early before BUT I didn't marry them!

When even the little head rejects one, that is the meaning of Ug-lee.
But then Schumer is no glamour boy either, and gives meaning to the words Any Port in a Storm.