Science says not to hug your Dog…science is stupid

Misfit

Lawful neutral
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201604/the-data-says-dont-hug-the-dog

Behaviorists believe that depriving a dog of that course of action by immobilizing him with a hug can increase his stress level and, if the dog's anxiety becomes significantly intense, he may bite. For that reason, certain websites, which try to educate children and parents in order to reduce the incidence of dog bites (such as Doggone Safe), make a point about teaching children that they should not hug dogs. Furthermore, a few years back when a children's book entitled "Smooch Your Pooch" recommended that kids hug and kiss their dog anytime and anywhere, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) felt that it was necessary for them to release an official statement that strongly advised parents to avoid purchasing the book, since "this information can cause children to be bitten."

DEEKAYPEE8569

"Furthermore, a few years back when a children's book entitled "Smooch Your Pooch" recommended that kids hug and kiss their dog anytime and anywhere, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) felt that it was necessary for them to release an official statement that strongly advised parents to avoid purchasing the book, since "this information can cause children to be bitten."

Not purchasing the book may not be the answer. (Ahem) Common sense may be. Regardless of what breed/size dog you are trying to cuddle etc. with, if they don't want to be bothered; most of the time, they will just walk away from you. Sometimes; usually with young children who don't understand; nips or full-on bites happen; happened to me when I was little (3 or 4). The dog was old and I was trying to hug her. I got too close to her face and she didn't like it, so she snapped at me; caught me just below my right eye; still have the scar. Walked a mile around that dog after that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Apollo loves to be cuddled and hugged. Probably not some extended death grip, but he definitely is a mooshball.

Science is stupid.

Chris0nllyn

Some pressure is good for dogs. If it weren't, Thundershirts wouldn't be a big hit.

I agree about not allowing kids to run up and smoosh their faces in dog's faces.