Scientist want to resurrect the extinct Tasmanian tiger

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
The last Thylacine died in 1936 in Tasmania

Nearly 100 years ago, the last Tasmanian tiger died, ending the reign of a species that dates back to 1000 BC. Now scientists are looking to bring them back from the dead.

Known as Thylacine, the carnivorous marsupial once roamed the Australian outback before the last known survivor of the striped species died in 1936. Scientists now plan to use genetic technology, ancient DNA collection, and artificial reproduction to bring the tiger back.

"We would strongly advocate that first and foremost we need to protect our biodiversity from further extinctions, but unfortunately we are not seeing a slowing down in species loss," said Andrew Pask, a professor at the University of Melbourne leading the project at the Thylacine Integrated Genetic Restoration Research Lab.

This never ends well in the movies. :lmao:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Not everyone believes that the Tasmanian tiger is extinct and the animal that they're trying to genetically modify to become this tiger is about the size of a mouse and has the attitude of a rabid rat, you won't want to make a big version of it.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Not everyone believes that the Tasmanian tiger is extinct and the animal that they're trying to genetically modify to become this tiger is about the size of a mouse and has the attitude of a rabid rat, you won't want to make a big version of it.
Not sure it's that small. There are movies of it, appears to be the size of a medium dog. But it has a HUGE gaping mouth.

Edit: Mis-read. The SUBJECT of the clone is small, not the original animal....

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
"Life finds a way..."
They should start with something simpler like bugs, and only then move up to large carnivores.

ab48f7e6be9d05c29ba6d2366d4d53b7--extinct-animals-prehistoric-animals.jpg

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Look at the mess they created when they brought a group of wolves from Canada to Yellowstone.

There's sometimes a good reason why these critters go extinct/disappear from an area.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Look at the mess they created when they brought a group of wolves from Canada to Yellowstone.

There's sometimes a good reason why these critters go extinct/disappear from an area.
Yellowstone seems to not mind the wolves.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I thought it was the elimination of the wolves that caused a major crisis, and they had to re-introduce them to re-balance things.

Oh, should have read Merlin's post.... duh.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I'm sure Yellowstone doesn't mind the wolves.

But, Yellowstone is not fenced, and the wolves are now everywhere, because they breed like dogs, 2 or 3 litters of 6-10 pups every year.

DIL in MT watched a pack of wolves take an elk calve from the mother as it was being birthed. The ranchers are having trouble with their herds.

There was a reason the wolves were eliminated. If they need some in Yellowstone, they should allow hunting/slaughter outside the park.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
It comes down to everything in a balance. If they were wolves coast to coast like the coyotes now… People would grow acustomed to them, they blend into the ecosystem, reduce the coyote population and when the encroached upon humans there would be instances. At that point they would certainly need to be a hunting category as well as a Nuisance predator category for farmers and ranchers.

The issue would be whether people will tolerate the potential interaction. I know they may start having to get used to the idea since the coyotes and bears are currently moving into the suburbs and cities.

I’m good with the Bears wolves and coyotes. They got to be better than the people.

3CATSAILOR

The last Thylacine died in 1936 in Tasmania

Nearly 100 years ago, the last Tasmanian tiger died, ending the reign of a species that dates back to 1000 BC. Now scientists are looking to bring them back from the dead.

Known as Thylacine, the carnivorous marsupial once roamed the Australian outback before the last known survivor of the striped species died in 1936. Scientists now plan to use genetic technology, ancient DNA collection, and artificial reproduction to bring the tiger back.

"We would strongly advocate that first and foremost we need to protect our biodiversity from further extinctions, but unfortunately we are not seeing a slowing down in species loss," said Andrew Pask, a professor at the University of Melbourne leading the project at the Thylacine Integrated Genetic Restoration Research Lab.

This never ends well in the movies. :lmao:
Yeah, I need a outside cat around the house. My wonderful neighbor would probably want to pet him.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm sure Yellowstone doesn't mind the wolves.

But, Yellowstone is not fenced, and the wolves are now everywhere, because they breed like dogs, 2 or 3 litters of 6-10 pups every year.

DIL in MT watched a pack of wolves take an elk calve from the mother as it was being birthed. The ranchers are having trouble with their herds.

There was a reason the wolves were eliminated. If they need some in Yellowstone, they should allow hunting/slaughter outside the park.
That crap happens, wolves will breed up until they reach a state of homeostasis.