Scimitar SL-2

marianne

Have you read this book by the author of SeaWolf? It's about terrorists causing an apocalyptic mega-tsunami via volcanic eruptions caused by a nuclear-tipped guided cruise missile launched from a submarine. My husband read this a couple months ago and is now freaked out about the tsunami that hit Indonesia, Asia, Sri Lanka, and Thailand. I've just started reading it . . .

mAlice

professional daydreamer
marianne said:
Have you read this book by the author of SeaWolf? It's about terrorists causing an apocalyptic mega-tsunami via volcanic eruptions caused by a nuclear-tipped guided cruise missile launched from a submarine. My husband read this a couple months ago and is now freaked out about the tsunami that hit Indonesia, Asia, Sri Lanka, and Thailand. I've just started reading it . . .

Tell your husband not to freak out. If it had really been terrorists, the tsunami would have hit the east coast of the United States.

marianne

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
marianne said:
Of course I don't think this tsunami was caused by terrorists but it does make you think. And this recent headline doesn't help

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041230/ap_on_sc/quake_us_tsunamis

"Experts say the West Coast could experience a calamity similar to the one they have been watching unfold half a world away. "
:yikes:
Hell no it wasn't terrorists. Considering the hot-bed of Al Qaeda types in that region and how it is a prime playground for many Europeans it was more than likely set off under orders of President Bush. :biggrin:

J

justhangn

Nature happens.......:shrug:

If there was a way for these maggots to use nature against us and blame it on "Gods will against the US", they would.

Steve

Enjoying life!
No known weapon could cause a tsunami or prompt volcanic activity, even if detonated in a known fissure. The results (if any) would be very localized. The tsunami on Sunday was the result of 160+ miles of tectonic plate subducting with another plate. That kind of energy just doesn't exist in any weapon conceived by man.

K

Kizzy

Bogart said:
I read Salem's Lot and I'm really worried about vampires now.

After the Exorcist came out, I was always worried I'd be possessed by the devil.

:razz:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Kizzy said:
After the Exorcist came out, I was always worried I'd be possessed by the devil.

I saw Salem's Lot on TV when I was very young and it started a lifelong habit of sleeping with the blankets wrapped around my neck, cause that'd stop a vampire ya know :duh:

K

Kizzy

Hello6 said:
I saw Salem's Lot on TV when I was very young and it started a lifelong habit of sleeping with the blankets wrapped around my neck, cause that'd stop a vampire ya know :duh:

Nothing worse than the toe monster. :twitch: You turn off the light and jump three feet before you reach the bed, so he doesn't get your toes.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I'm pretty sure I had closet monsters too in that first house with the vampires that were warded off by blankets. Once the family moved into town from the farm, no more monsters.
:confused:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
elaine said:
Tell your husband not to freak out. If it had really been terrorists, the tsunami would have hit the east coast of the United States.
Since the Tectonic plates in the Atlantic are diverging rather than subducting, the likelihood of a Tsunami ever hitting the East Coast of the US is slim, isn't it?

I guess there could be other fault lines in the Atlantic.. :confused: ... kinda like the New Madrid Fault that goes through the Midwest. But I didn't think those type of fault lines experience major earthquakes.