Scotland invaded by Mexico

littlelady

God bless the USA
Mmmhmm...

I see your trolladrama radar alarm is still in tact after all these mamatutu/littlelady years. I do have an observation. I cannot remember the last time, or any time that you, actually, contributed a cognitive response to any discussion on this forum; except for the hockey thread. And, just for a time reference, that has been since 2011 (my time here). Keep on trollin’ on, Hankaroo. You are really good at it. That is a compliment. You’re welcome. :smile:

black dog

Free America
DhsBkP2X0AUmBxy.jpeg

awpitt

Main Streeter
And if I knew it, I would take issue with that, agreed. But just hearing the language spoken between people and it not being directed to you shouldnt be offensive. I supose we need to clarify.

1. I am walking through a park, say Point Lookout. Some folks are at a nearby picnic table, speaking in a language that sounds Spanish. They are not looking at me or my daughter, should I be offended? Nope. Now, they are staring at us, and pointing, and laughing, maybe they are making getures towards the upper chests. Thats rude and most likely offensive, in any language.

2. I'm in Popeyes and while I am speaking the nice lady at the counter who understands me clearly and is herself perfectly understandable, I notice the guy up front speaking Spanish to the guys in the back, apparently not looking at me or referring to me. Offended? Of course not. Now, did the nice young lady turn to the other guy up front and say somethin in Spanish, at which point he looked at me and laughed, or smirked, that would be different.

3. Both of the above assume I do not know the language under discussion. Knowing the language, thats a big change. Then you are not relying on body language and facial expressions. Thats a complelty different scenairo.

Back when I was in high school, a buddy and I both worked a Holiday Inn. I was a busboy in the restaraunt, he was a bellhop. In the fall, the busloads of senior citizen leaf peepers would appear. He would have to unload the whole greyhounds worth of luggage while waiting for them to disembark. He stood there smiling and waving at the nice old ladies. they were in the bus and couldn't hear him of course. What he was saying was not nice, but they never knew that. All they knew was the nice young man was soooooo friendly waving and saying hello. They never took offense.

The point is that things are only an offense if you know someone is acting offensively.

Very well said.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I was talking about the Popeyes in Olney. I never set foot in the GMR Popeyes. In fact, I stopped going across the bridge to St. Mary’s years before we moved. If something wasn’t in Calvert, I didn’t need it. I don’t have a problem with people speaking their native language in the US. I have a problem with people not speaking English while serving the public. As in creating a special line for customers that need a translator to place an order.

I will be sad if we are eternal enemies. :smile:

I have never seen a business that has a special line for people who need a translator.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I have never seen a business that has a special line for people who need a translator.

I’ve seen many businesses, banks, insurance companies, car dealerships etc. that have Spanish speaking reps for persons that prefer to speak Spanish. So in essence it is a special line. Also smart business

glhs837

Power with Control
I was talking about the Popeyes in Olney. I never set foot in the GMR Popeyes. In fact, I stopped going across the bridge to St. Mary’s years before we moved. If something wasn’t in Calvert, I didn’t need it. I don’t have a problem with people speaking their native language in the US. I have a problem with people not speaking English while serving the public. As in creating a special line for customers that need a translator to place an order.

I will be sad if we are eternal enemies. :smile:

Going back and reading for that specifically, and a a later post combined to make it clear. Your first post referred to Olney, and so the next line that refers to the "local Popeys" of course to you meant Olney, while to our St Marys-centric readership here would mean either Great Mills Road or the new one in the old Blockbuster on RT235.

I’ve seen many businesses, banks, insurance companies, car dealerships etc. that have Spanish speaking reps for persons that prefer to speak Spanish. So in essence it is a special line. Also smart business

I would disagree. Have a rep who speak Spanish but who also serves English customers is not the same at all. Now, if that employee were soley dedicated to Spanish employees and didnt ever talk to English speaking customers that would equate to a special line. And she wasnt quite clear, but I understood her to be saying that that line was ONLY for Spanish speakers. If that's not the case, and it was a regular line that just had a sign saying "This line also serves Spanish speakers"

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Lowe's has vests that show the associate is a Spanish speaker.

Hank

my war
I see your trolladrama radar alarm is still in tact after all these mamatutu/littlelady years. I do have an observation. I cannot remember the last time, or any time that you, actually, contributed a cognitive response to any discussion on this forum; except for the hockey thread. And, just for a time reference, that has been since 2011 (my time here). Keep on trollin’ on, Hankaroo. You are really good at it. That is a compliment. You’re welcome. :smile:

My cognitive response is you are a liar.... :yay:

Last edited:

black dog

Free America

Buy here pay here car lots advertise heavily " Hobla Espanol " ....

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Again, smart business.

I try to remind myself that if the huge influx were native Italian speakers, like when my maternal great grandparents came before WW1, that in today's social environment we might have the same courtesy extended.