Scrapbook Store

Randi Jones

I am thinking of opening a Scrapbook Store in the Mechanicsville area and was wondering what the local "scrappers" thought about it. Do you think we need one, would you attend crops, etc.
Randi

michellecrops

scrap addict
There is a lot of work involved, so good luck, I do think that would be a good area, close to Waldorf, but yet far enough away. Your competition would be Stencil House Stamps in Hollywood and Scrappin By The Bay in Prince Frederick, the Apple Basket now sells a small selection of scrapbooking supplies also. Do you have a location in mind? :whistle:

Elle

Happy Camper!
As long as you can offer quality aforadable products I think you will do great! Keep up posted on your plans and good luck :yay:

Randi Jones

I am looking in the Mechanicsville area. I was thinking of a B&B type of place where we could have weekend retreats. I also want to offer a childrens play room. I know how hard it is for Moms to get out of the house without their kids.

Hot N Bothered

michellecrops said:
There is a lot of work involved, so good luck, I do think that would be a good area, close to Waldorf, but yet far enough away. Your competition would be Stencil House Stamps in Hollywood and Scrappin By The Bay in Prince Frederick, the Apple Basket now sells a small selection of scrapbooking supplies also. Do you have a location in mind? :whistle:
Stencil House has moved to Wildewood. Mechanicsville is pretty centrally located. The kid's room is a nice idea, but you'd have to have someone monitoring it at all times, or else the moms may as well stay home. That's an extra employee to pay who may be spending time doing nothing.

krankykrab

I think ANYONE who opened a Scrapbooking store will do great! There really isn't anywhere to go. Stencil House Stamps, well they are okay, but their hours suck, and I hate to say this ( I really do) they are NOT customer friendly! They should be doing everything to get my scrapbooking dollar, but instead the have so many rules and conditions with everything they offer. I still go there because they are the only one close, but if an another opened up, I would definally go! I have been to Scrappin By The Bay in Prince Frederick, they have a wonderful store, it is more geared to scrapbooking, not stamps. Apple Basket has NOTHING! I'm sick of Micheals, but they are going to opening an AC MOORE, in waldorf soon :).

If you do open a store, remember, it is your customers who are spending their money in your store don't treat us like you are doing us a favor by taking it. I wish you all the luck, and I will be looking out for your store! :)

Randi Jones

Thanks for all of your comments. I hope to be open by Summer 2005!! I have some exciting things planned...one of them being scrapbook furniture. Built locally and to your specifications!! I cant wait. I will keep you informed.

michellecrops

scrap addict
krankykrab said:
. Stencil House Stamps, well they are okay, but their hours suck, and I hate to say this ( I really do) they are NOT customer friendly! They should be doing everything to get my scrapbooking dollar, but instead the have so many rules and conditions with everything they offer.
]
Why do you say that they are unfriendly, I have never gotten that impression! There hours are normal to any other Scrapbook / Stamp store that I have ever been too, they are open til 7 Tuesday to Friday since they moved to Wildewood Center. If you have a problem with how you are treated, talk to Jan the owner, she is willing to listen. What do you mean by rules and conditions with everything they offer? Just curious!

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I think it would be good only IF your prices and hours could compete with Michaels. They have a great selection of stuff and it isn't that expensive.

krankykrab

michellecrops said:
krankykrab said:
. Stencil House Stamps, well they are okay, but their hours suck, and I hate to say this ( I really do) they are NOT customer friendly! They should be doing everything to get my scrapbooking dollar, but instead the have so many rules and conditions with everything they offer.
]
Why do you say that they are unfriendly, I have never gotten that impression! There hours are normal to any other Scrapbook / Stamp store that I have ever been too, they are open til 7 Tuesday to Friday since they moved to Wildewood Center. If you have a problem with how you are treated, talk to Jan the owner, she is willing to listen. What do you mean by rules and conditions with everything they offer? Just curious!
Their hours: they are closed on Mondays,,,,, sunday only open 12 to 4, they used to be open on Sunday until at least 5 or 6 pm, rules and conditions : like their little key chain tag, you have to pay for that , okay fine, but if you come in the store without your key chain and drop 70 or 80 dollars in there, they will not punch your card even if you have your receipt the next time you come in. Something else I don't like, how you have to give them your name and they keep track of everything you buy from them. Why do they need to do that? They can look and see I have spent way over the allotted on my key ring but I can't get my punches?

It feels like Big Brother watching you by keeping a tally on what you buy. I don't know if it is the way they keep inventory or not, but if it is, there are other ways to keep inventory than that.

I have spent alot of time and money in that store, and when I go in some times there are 2 to 3 people in there, not ONE time has anyone asked me do I need some help? Are you looking for something special? Explained how to use in item, they have never said hello. I'm not trying to be pissy about this, but I think they could work on their customer skills. Also last complaint.......... the new store is way TOO HOT!!!! I asked them about it and they said the dry cleaners next door is causing all the heat,, I can't stand being in there when you have sweat pouring down your back, I hope they can do something about it. okay you asked,,, sorry :(

michellecrops

scrap addict
krankykrab said:
Their hours: they are closed on Mondays,,,,, sunday only open 12 to 4, they used to be open on Sunday until at least 5 or 6 pm, rules and conditions : like their little key chain tag, you have to pay for that , okay fine, but if you come in the store without your key chain and drop 70 or 80 dollars in there, they will not punch your card even if you have your receipt the next time you come in. Something else I don't like, how you have to give them your name and they keep track of everything you buy from them. Why do they need to do that? They can look and see I have spent way over the allotted on my key ring but I can't get my punches?

It feels like Big Brother watching you by keeping a tally on what you buy. I don't know if it is the way they keep inventory or not, but if it is, there are other ways to keep inventory than that.

I have spent alot of time and money in that store, and when I go in some times there are 2 to 3 people in there, not ONE time has anyone asked me do I need some help? Are you looking for something special? Explained how to use in item, they have never said hello. I'm not trying to be pissy about this, but I think they could work on their customer skills. Also last complaint.......... the new store is way TOO HOT!!!! I asked them about it and they said the dry cleaners next door is causing all the heat,, I can't stand being in there when you have sweat pouring down your back, I hope they can do something about it. okay you asked,,, sorry :(

Venting is good, like I said, if you talked to the owner she would listen,here is what I know about some of your concerns, I know these because I work there part time, I always greet people coming in, maybe some don't that can be addressed with Jan and I will let her know that there are unhappy customers, we can't fix things if we don't know they are broke! SHS has never been open past 4 on Sundays, they were never open on Sundays until Joleen came along and offered to work on Sundays, Mondays is paperwork day, and the owners one day off, the key tags, that is optional to people, they don't have to buy one, people don't relize how hard it is to keep a "mom and pop" store open, you don't have financial backing like Michaels or AC Moore, charging for that helps offset the revenue lost on turning in a completed key tag and for just having the key tag made. As far as not getting "back" punches, I agree with you, it would be nice to be able to bring the receipt in the next time and get it punched, but that is the stores policy.
Now, about giving your name, you can tell us you would rather not be in our database, the only reason that is done is for your buying convenience, for example, a repeat customer comes in 2 or 3 times a week and sees a punch she likes or some glitter, can't remember what she already has, when can pull her history up and let her know what she already has so she won't be double buying. As far as explaining something or demo-ing something, just let us know, we will be glad to help! Lastly the temperature, it is not actually the dry cleaners next door, it was a old and broken down A/C Unit, which after much fixing, is being replaced, a new one is on order. Like I said before, just let us know, we want you to come back and be happy!

krankykrab

Well like I said you asked, I just think the store should be more customer friendly, so I would want to spend all my scrapbooking dollars there, and not feel less value as a customer because I forgot my key ring. And for customers conveince, stay open all day Monday or Sunday, not 4 hours one day and completely closed the other. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Ksparshott

Bad Customer service????

krankykrab said:
I think ANYONE who opened a Scrapbooking store will do great! There really isn't anywhere to go. Stencil House Stamps, well they are okay, but their hours suck, and I hate to say this ( I really do) they are NOT customer friendly! They should be doing everything to get my scrapbooking dollar, but instead the have so many rules and conditions with everything they offer. I still go there because they are the only one close, but if an another opened up, I would definally go! I have been to Scrappin By The Bay in Prince Frederick, they have a wonderful store, it is more geared to scrapbooking, not stamps. Apple Basket has NOTHING! I'm sick of Micheals, but they are going to opening an AC MOORE, in waldorf soon :).

If you do open a store, remember, it is your customers who are spending their money in your store don't treat us like you are doing us a favor by taking it. I wish you all the luck, and I will be looking out for your store! :)
I am really sorry to hear you feel Stencil House Stamps has bad customer service..... I know I try to be friendly, helpful, demo products and answer ANY questions every day..... My name is Kim and I would love to hear you suggestions on how to make our service better..... We have been VERY busy with our move but never Intentionally ignored anyone.... I am there Tues- Friday 9:30-4...... I understand your concerns about the temperature, we have been working with the management for weeks trying to get the ac fixed, about the key tag program-it is optional... But we like the idea that people will earn free merchandise....... about not bringing receipts back...... it is unfortunate that we can not do that anymore.... I do respect your opinion.... About phone number etc, you do have the option of not giving it but the data screen allows us to send emails etc..... Again, I am deeply interested in hearing your suggestions on how we can make it better...... Our hours have expanded from Tues - Friday staying open util 7 rather than 5.... I don't feel Scrappin by the Bay has near the selection we do.... although it is also a very nice store. I was so concerned when your email arrived on the counter today , I registered on Southern MD.com just to reply.......Kim S

flowerchild

Hairy Harry
I stopped in for the first time the other day and I thought the store was really nice and the people were very friendly.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I love SHS!!!

Just wish I could afford it!!!! :bawl:

Seriously, the store is set up very nicely. I have found the staff to be extremely helpful. My friends have also enjoyed their visits. I am a crafter in general, but do not make scrapbooks. I do have my eye on ALL of their embossing paraphenalia... hmmm... *me thinks I have my Christmas wish list*...

Good Day!

SamSpade

Randi Jones said:
I am thinking of opening a Scrapbook Store in the Mechanicsville area and was wondering what the local "scrappers" thought about it. Do you think we need one, would you attend crops, etc.
Randi

I think if you opened one as close as Mechanicsville, my wife would be there every weekend. She already frequents one down in Fredericsburg from time to time. And it seems all of her friends are closet scrappers too.

SamSpade

Elle said:

It's the best way to describe it. We just keep meeting people and learn over time they're into it, but never said anything about it before. Kind of like how guys are "into" woodworking and handyman stuff, but not seriously.