scrapbooking

amh24

Hello ladies i'm a stay at home mom now who really wants to get into scrapbooking.I am not really sure how to start or even what tools I need I go into a.c. moore or michaels and i get overwhelmed with all the stuff they have any suggestions would be great thanks.

hollywoman

Best thing to do is contact your local scrapbook store and see if they have classes and sign up for one. Also check out creativememories.com and closetoyourheart.com

However the best way is to attend a crop at your local store, while you are there, everyone share their tools, that way you get awesome ideas and at the same time don't have to buy everything under the sun.

Also another hint is get a compenstion book (.25) at walgreens/walmart and the scrapbooking mag's that you get cut out the ideas you like and catorized them in this book, then throw the magazine out, they you can take your book with you to a crop.

Good Luck and have fun!

Elle

Happy Camper!
See if any of your family or friends scrapbook and have extra tools/supplies you can borrow. This way you can test stuff on your own time and decide what you like using.

There are various styles of albums you can choose from. I'm anal and like to have everything in chronological order so I've found that top load books work best for me b/c I can do a page and then move it around later if I find something I forgot. I see top load books at Ross for only like $5 all the time - granted you still need to buy the paper to insert and extra pages but a deal is a deal. Most of my books though are side bound pages and they are nice too but I just like the flexibility.

The big thing is just make sure everything you use is archival quality, the idea behind scrap booking is to preserve your memories so you don't want to use products that will damage you pictures in years to come - acid and lignin are 2 big things to watch for.

ltowngirl

I'm really into scrapbooking and how i got started was by getting a scrapbook, first of all. Then i found all the pictures that i wanted to use, and got all kinds of paper, etc. to go with it. You dont need much to start off...
i usually just buy more supplies as i find i need them.

Good luck with your scrapbooking!! :)

JLS

Hi.. I'm addicted to scrapbooking and have allocated the 3rd bedroom in my house as a craft room/scrappin room. One of the scrappin groups i'm in has crops and even weekend retreats! Theres so much scrappin stuff when you first start out you could feel overwhelmed.. but first find a scrapbook in a size you like - they come from anywhere from 6x6 up to 12x18 (I think its 18 or is it 15?) the largest I've used is a 12x12 but i know there are some bigger. Like one forumite said - find the pictures you want to scrap, get yourself an album, find matching papers, get some craft glue or hermadots, and find a few matching embellishments and your set! There are some great magazines out to help give you ideas and to show new products coming out. Once you get going, you'll start into the die-cuts and the machines and things. If you have any questions tho, feel free to PM me. Enjoy it, its fun!

Hello ladies i'm a stay at home mom now who really wants to get into scrapbooking.I am not really sure how to start or even what tools I need I go into a.c. moore or michaels and i get overwhelmed with all the stuff they have any suggestions would be great thanks.

CRHS89

i would be interested in attending some crops, but I hesitate to go to the ones sponsored by Creative Memories consultants since I use a variety of materials from other vendors. Are there any crops or "scrapbooking groups" open to the public that meet regularly in St. Mary's?

Rhiannon

Addicted scrapbooker here as well. I have my own scrapbook room that's painted pink with black accessories. :) It was a slow process starting out. I remember looking at my neighbors albums and I got hooked back in 1999. Since then I have 'collected' many tools and items to add to my 'stash' of things. LOL. I love looking through completed albums though. It is all worth the money spent.

You should look into a scrapbooking forum. I go to Lifetime Moments scrapbooking supplies for life's special moments Lots of good information there.

Start out small though. Go to your local craft store, Joanns, Michaels, AC Moore all will have what you need to start. You can even get a 'kit' that will have everything in you need to make so many pages.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Scrapper here too :howdy:. All good suggestions above, I just want to add that there are a couple of scrapbooking shows on TV, Scrapbook Memories is my favorite. They showcase new products and techniques, digital scrapbooking, and practical ideas. I found it very usefull when I started some years back. I was able to get it while using Comcast and also now using Direct TV. If you keyword search "scrapbook" you should find a few different series on TV.

JLS

A girlfriend of mines scrap room is Pink with white & black accessories!! So Adorable! Mines, hunter green, red and tan with a few black accessories.. I have too many tools too - I have the quickutz hand tool, I have the cricut, I have the big shot, i have the orig sizzix machine, I have the smaller sizzix thing - I use to take that to crops w/me... I have sizzix dies, I have cricut cartridges, I have punches, I have quickutz dies, I have embossing stuff (dry and the powder w/the heat gun), i have the Crop O Dile - which is GREAT! so easy to use.. its nutz!!

Addicted scrapbooker here as well. I have my own scrapbook room that's painted pink with black accessories. :) It was a slow process starting out. I remember looking at my neighbors albums and I got hooked back in 1999. Since then I have 'collected' many tools and items to add to my 'stash' of things. LOL. I love looking through completed albums though. It is all worth the money spent.

You should look into a scrapbooking forum. I go to Lifetime Moments scrapbooking supplies for life's special moments Lots of good information there.

Start out small though. Go to your local craft store, Joanns, Michaels, AC Moore all will have what you need to start. You can even get a 'kit' that will have everything in you need to make so many pages.

Rhiannon

A girlfriend of mines scrap room is Pink with white & black accessories!! So Adorable! Mines, hunter green, red and tan with a few black accessories.. I have too many tools too - I have the quickutz hand tool, I have the cricut, I have the big shot, i have the orig sizzix machine, I have the smaller sizzix thing - I use to take that to crops w/me... I have sizzix dies, I have cricut cartridges, I have punches, I have quickutz dies, I have embossing stuff (dry and the powder w/the heat gun), i have the Crop O Dile - which is GREAT! so easy to use.. its nutz!!

I have touches of white in mine as well! Too fun! I love the color combo for your room! I hear ya on all the tools! I started with a sizzix, then got the quickutz, then got the cricut....what's next! But I CAN'T part with any of it! LOL. Just cause I got one thing doesn't mean I can get rid of another! And of course you can't forget all those things we just 'have to have' and then we end up not using for months and months, and just gets added to the stash! LOL. Oops. hehe!

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
Best thing to do is contact your local scrapbook store and see if they have classes and sign up for one. Also check out creativememories.com and closetoyourheart.com

However the best way is to attend a crop at your local store, while you are there, everyone share their tools, that way you get awesome ideas and at the same time don't have to buy everything under the sun.

Also another hint is get a compenstion book (.25) at walgreens/walmart and the scrapbooking mag's that you get cut out the ideas you like and catorized them in this book, then throw the magazine out, they you can take your book with you to a crop.

Good Luck and have fun!

I can't find a local store that offeres classes any more.

JLS

Thanks, your room too! I started with the sizzix machine, got the quickutz tool, got the sidekick (I took that to crops w/me) and then got the Cricut and then the big shot.. I know what u mean about getting rid of one of the others.. I try to get things I know I will use over and over again, there probably are a few things I don't use and could get rid of but I have so many embellishments and things, I need to stop buying that kinda stuff and use the ones I have up but u go in and find some cute new thing and like hmm.. whats 1 more piece?!?! and I have 1000 different ones already like it.. its bad.. hahaha

I have touches of white in mine as well! Too fun! I love the color combo for your room! I hear ya on all the tools! I started with a sizzix, then got the quickutz, then got the cricut....what's next! But I CAN'T part with any of it! LOL. Just cause I got one thing doesn't mean I can get rid of another! And of course you can't forget all those things we just 'have to have' and then we end up not using for months and months, and just gets added to the stash! LOL. Oops. hehe!

Aggalise

I recommend going to Sarah Roses Legacy in Waldorf.She has classes and you can use her tools in the workroom, so you dont have to go out and buy a lot of materials at first.
Her friday nights form 6-11pm are a lot of fun. For $10.00 you get pizza,sodas and 10% off anythign you buy. She's a great help when you are starting out.I ahve been going for a year now. Highly recommnd!!

Rhiannon

I recommend going to Sarah Roses Legacy in Waldorf.She has classes and you can use her tools in the workroom, so you dont have to go out and buy a lot of materials at first.
Her friday nights form 6-11pm are a lot of fun. For $10.00 you get pizza,sodas and 10% off anythign you buy. She's a great help when you are starting out.I ahve been going for a year now. Highly recommnd!!

I have been there. Cute lil' shop. I have wanted to try a crop, but I get nervous/shy about doing something like that on my own for the first time. :) When I lived in PA, my SIL and I would go crop at a scrapbook store. It was just nice to have someone I 'knew' to go with at first.