Screwing up math to add to the confusion

Toxick

Splat
The **** is that picture "math" is stupid and so open to interpretation as to be worthless.

Can we agree on that?

Maybe.

It's a fun exercise I suppose. Like rebus or a crossword puzzle.

I don't see eggheads ever putting it to a practical application.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
You don't know that. The pic of 2 shocks has a value of 2, but the value of a pic of a single shock is not specified. We could presume that it's 1, but it's not a given.
Well, I do know when I go shopping and the little sign says "4 apples for $1" I can calculate that each apple costs 25 cents, regardless of its size, mass, color, origin, or state of ripeness as an apple is ONE UNIT. Again, 4x = 1, solve for x (an apple): divide each size by 4 so 4x/4 = 1/4 and thus x = .25.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's a fun exercise I suppose. Like rebus or a crossword puzzle.

It is of note that the most frequent answer to that meme problem on FB (not just my friends, but 1.4M users) was "70". So not only did they not know the order of operations, they also didn't notice that there was only one shock in the last set.

And I'm not gonna lie - my initial answer to that problem was 25.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, I do know when I go shopping and the little sign says "4 apples for $1" I can calculate that each apple costs 25 cents

Well, usually they give you a break on multiples. So a single apple might be 40 cents, but you can get 4 for $1.

I'm a big fan of bulk pricing tricks. Sometimes they're so screwed up I have a moment of silence in admiration for whoever came up with it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Well, usually they give you a break on multiples. So a single apple might be 40 cents, but you can get 4 for $1.

Thus the 4 for $1 because I am a thrifty shopper. :lol:

I'm a big fan of bulk pricing tricks. Sometimes they're so screwed up I have a moment of silence in admiration for whoever came up with it.

And why I learned to do math in my head or, failing that, whip out the calculator app on my phone. My favorite is different unit pricing on the same types of items: this item is by ounce but the other one is by pound. :banghead:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Unless you shop at Giant and only buy one, in which case it's only 25 cents. They say 4 for $1, but you don't have to buy 4 to get that price.
I read the labels carefully to make sure I am not penalized for not buying the higher quantity, believe me!

Weis was horrible about their little bait-and-switch tactic: big bold letters saying "Buy 4 for $10" but in little teeny print saying "must buy 4 else each is $3.99."

Tech

1479054311-20161113.png

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Unless you shop at Giant and only buy one, in which case it's only 25 cents. They say 4 for $1, but you don't have to buy 4 to get that price.

I've run into a few times where the bulk price is higher than if you bought them individually. As in, apples 20 cents each or 4 for $1.

:crazy:

Midnightrider

So let's pretend the single shock indeed has a value of 1. The equation becomes:

5+ 1 x 10

But I can make it equal 60 by writing it as (5+1) x 10.

Math shouldn't be like that.

Math isn’t like that. If you don’t follow the rules math doesn’t work.

This really was covered in elementary school. Even most of the dumb kids got it back then.

BTW, the P does not stand for please.

PeoplesElbow

How the hell do people get 70?

I initially had 17, but I didn't notice there was only a single shock in the bottom line, can you even buy shocks singally?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How the hell do people get 70?

I initially had 17, but I didn't notice there was only a single shock in the bottom line, can you even buy shocks singally?

Because they didn't multiply first and they also didn't realize there was only one shock.

5+2x10
5+2=7
7x10=70

How did you get 17?

PeoplesElbow

Because they didn't multiply first and they also didn't realize there was only one shock.

5+2x10
5+2=7
7x10=70

How did you get 17?

Three pistons are $30, so they are $10 each.

One piston and two tires are $20, so $10 +$2x = $20, this solves for tires being $5 each

One tire and two sets of shocks are $9, $5 + $2y = $9, this solves for shocks being $2 a set

The final line $5 +$2 + $10 = $17

So the $70 is a mystery to me because you can have a total of 4 pistons, 3 tires, and 2 sets of shocks for $59 and this gives you lots of spare parts that you don't need, so how the hell do people get $70 for less stuff?

+++++++++++ OOPS+++++++++++

I also just noticed that they multiply by a piston, how the hell do you multiply by a piston? I saw it as addition originally. That is also how i got $17.